The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
In case you have not heard, Bill Stokes collapsed while on the floor during the middle of the 2nd half during a WNBA playoff game in Houston last night. He was not breathing and emergency medical attention was able to bring him back. He was taken to a local hospital after being worked on at the gamesight in front of the scorer's table for about 10 minutes. As of late last night, he was listed in critical but stable condition.

The WNBA, in it's infinite wisdom, continued the game after a 25 minute delay. The local paper commended Lisa Mattingly and Roy Gulbeyan for their admirable work in finishing the game under such stressful conditions.

We all need to remember Bill in our prayers!
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

More from the AP Newswire.... I hope he comes out OK...

HOUSTON (AP) -- Referee Bill Stokes was in critical but stable condition after he collapsed during a WNBA playoff game between the Houston Comets and Utah Starzz.

Medical officials rushed to Stokes side after he fell to the floor near the scorer's table with 15:33 left in the first round playoff game on Tuesday night. He was removed on a stretcher and the game resumed 25 minutes later.

The somber crowd of 9,540 said the Lord's Prayer in unison before play resumed.

WNBA president Val Ackerman left the game and went to the hospital.

``He's a dear friend of mine and he's been a referee as long as I've been a coach,'' Utah coach Candi Harvey said. ``What a first-class organization this team and their fans are.''

The game resumed after a 25-minute delay with Lisa Mattingly and Roy Gulbeyan officiating without Stokes. Both officials declined to comment after the game, which was won by Utah 75-72 to win the best-of-three Western Conference semifinal series.

``That decision was made by the WNBA,'' Comets coach Van Chancellor said. ``They just told me we were going to play in five minutes.

``At that time, he was stable and breathing on his own. Sure, I think the league is going to get criticized but I didn't see any other solution. It was just a tough loss any way you slice it. It was a tough night for us, tough night for him.''

A hush fell over the crowd of 9,540 at Compaq Center when Stokes fell beside the scorer's table.

``It was pretty difficult,'' Sheryl Swoopes said. ``The hardest part is staying focused and getting back out there and getting in the game but we can't make excuses, because Utah kept their concentration and composure. It could have easily been any one of us.''

Stokes, an official for more than 25 years, has also worked numerous women's conference and NCAA tournament games.

On April 1, 1996, the opening day of the baseball season, plate umpire John McSherry had a heart attack and collapsed on the field during a game at Cincinnati. McSherry, 51, died hours later.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
The local paper commended Lisa Mattingly and Roy Gulbeyan for their admirable work in finishing the game...
Lisa Mattingly has been a busy gal these last couple of weeks, having worked two or three play-off games every week. I need to get a poster of her on my wall.
Old Wed Aug 21, 2002, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Just to update you all on Bill's condition.
The latest update I have is that he is off the Critical list and is upgraded to Serious. He is still in the ICU.
I spoke with Roy Gulbeyan, one of his partners this morning, and the Doctors have been encouraged by the progress Bill has made so far. He is responding (at least
physically) to his name and is even a bit anxious when they try to do tests on him. All good signs according to the Docs.

Please keep him in your prayers, and let's hope for the best.
Drake
Old Fri Aug 23, 2002, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Next update on Bill Stokes, Please?
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Bill is doing well and is on the road to recovery.
The family has requested that the details of what has happened not be released, so I will honor that.
If you watch any WNBA playoffs, they usually give updates also, but he is doing well.

Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 02:31pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
If you watch any WNBA playoffs....
Drake,
...Having a good thought for Bill.

Can I watch you work on TV?
mick
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick
When did ya'll get TV in the U.P?
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 02:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Quote:
Originally posted by mick

mick
When did ya'll get TV in the U.P?
...in June
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry Mick,
no playoffs for me.
Enjoy your TV.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2002, 03:32pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Sorry Mick,
no playoffs for me.
Enjoy your TV.

Thanks, Drake.
Actually, I had a electronic baby sitter in 1955, but that wasn't U.P. here.
mick