The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Scorer's Stripes (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56443-scorers-stripes.html)

bas2456 Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:15pm

Scorer's Stripes

Reading over the rule book tonight (not for the first time, I promise), I noticed that they strongly recommend that the scorer wear "a black and white striped garment", ie a shirt like ours.

I know this is commonplace at the NCAA level, but how about at the HS level? I would assume that if done at all, it's probably only at the varsity level.

jdw3018 Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:19pm

I've never called a high school game with a scorer in stripes other than a tournament hosted at a university where their "regular" scorer worked for the tourney as well.

co2ice Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:20pm

Not here, but I would like it so I would quit reporting to the timer and be more likley to report to the scorer,as I should!:o

bas2456 Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:22pm

Man I thought for sure that chs would be the first to respond!;)

Nevadaref Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:28pm

There are a couple of schools in my area who have the scorer wear officiating stripes.

fullor30 Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:28am

Do they wear wide panel stripes to be like the college guys?

Nevadaref Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 651399)
Do they wear wide panel stripes to be like the college guys?

http://www.runemasterstudios.com/gra.../funnypost.gif

CoachCER Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 651378)
Reading over the rule book tonight (not for the first time, I promise), I noticed that they strongly recommend that the scorer wear "a black and white striped garment", ie a shirt like ours.

I know this is commonplace at the NCAA level, but how about at the HS level? I would assume that if done at all, it's probably only at the varsity level.

I think it is required in Georgia. I have always had to wear one when I have to do a varsity game.

tjones1 Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:53am

In my area... probably 10 years ago, I remember it being very common for the official scorer to wear the stripes. Now days, it's not very common at all. In fact, probably in a 75-miles radius, I can only come up with one scorer in my area who wears stripes.

grunewar Thu Jan 14, 2010 06:37am

Not here......

Quote:

I've never seen a scorer in stripes in our area and only 10-20% of the time do I see it for the clock operator.

Mark Dexter Thu Jan 14, 2010 09:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by co2ice (Post 651381)
Not here, but I would like it so I would quit reporting to the timer and be more likley to report to the scorer,as I should!:o

You would think that's the case, but somehow it doesn't work.

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:53pm

You mean like this?

http://www.rothcpa.com/archives/misc/stripes.JPG

bas2456 Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 651844)

Well, it is a black and white striped garment, so why not?

chseagle Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 651851)
Well, it is a black and white striped garment, so why not?

Isn't this only used for the penal or institutional league?

SCalScoreKeeper Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:51pm

Not in So Cal!

In Southern California I cannot think of a single scorer who wears the recommended black and white striped garment! Most of us (adults anyway) wear something with our school's logo (golf shirt or hoodie) on it and either jeans or dress slacks.

Marcusmav Sun Jan 17, 2010 04:10am

I notice that a lot of the scorers wear the bryon collar shirts. Is this because they are old refs who have had them since the early 90s?

mbyron Sun Jan 17, 2010 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcusmav (Post 652387)
I notice that a lot of the scorers wear the bryon collar shirts. Is this because they are old refs who have had them since the early 90s?

Please, dude: my family name!

rwest Sun Jan 17, 2010 08:57am

In Georiga

Quote:

The scorer is required to wear them for varsity games. We have some that are very reluctant to do so. Some just want to lay it on the table in front of them. We have to make them wear it.

BillyMac Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:35pm

I Assume That The Copyright Has Expired ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 652394)
My family name!

"No lengthened scroll, no praise—encumber'd stone
My epitaph shall be my name alone"

refnrev Sun Jan 17, 2010 09:07pm

In V games it happens all the time around here. JV or lower.... ain't gonna see it. I actually have one school where the scorer is also a Certified basketball official who has his game jersey on and actually rates us for those games.

Stat-Man Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:21pm

Does the shirt have be striped exactly like an official's shirt?

I ask only because I have a couple of shirts I received from my brief stint scoring at a pro summer league. One is mostly white with a black stripe along each sleeve and the other is black with a white stripe along each sleeve.

I usually wear one of these at home games or any other game where I would be designated official scorer.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 653016)
Does the shirt have be striped exactly like an official's shirt?

I ask only because I have a couple of shirts I received from my brief stint scoring at a pro summer league. One is mostly white with a black stripe along each sleeve and the other is black with a white stripe along each sleeve.

I usually wear one of these at home games or any other game where I would be designated official scorer.

Those aren't striped shirts. They are shirts with a stripe.

Texas Aggie Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:42pm

I've had a few (meaning less than 5) in my career at the HS level. Don't remember the last time, though. One guy had taken a large, byron collar, shirt and had his wife (I suppose) extend the zipper the full length of the shirt. He just put it over whatever he was wearing and went out.

On a somewhat related note, we have a guy in our football chapter that insists on wearing a striped shirt AND hat to the box when he runs the clock. I wish he wouldn't, but whatever.

Stat-Man Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 653036)
Those aren't striped shirts. They are shirts with a stripe.

Nevada:

So, would you say this shirt would be unacceptable to wear as the official scorer? This is what I wear when in that capacity:

http://home.flash.net/~statman/_images/sc-shirt.jpg