The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Another Small Gym Story (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56420-another-small-gym-story.html)

grunewar Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:02am

Another Small Gym Story

Well, I had one of “those gyms” last night. A small Private School that’s been there 20 yrs. Unbelievably small! ("How small was it?" Ed McMahon)

The end lines were two feet from the wall (which had some minor padding). The backboards were even with the end line. In captain’s/coaches meetings we discussed that unless you or the ball were touching the wall during a live ball, play on! On an end line throwin – don’t worry about stepping over the line in a minor way. Certainly had to give three feet. I inbounded the ball once on the end line and stepped to the side to get a wider angle and almost went down as I bumped right up against the seats.

As we’ve discussed on the Forum before, this gym had a lot of bizarre issues. The seats were like an amphitheater - rounded, rows of rising bench seats only on one side of the gym, that were solid with edges and close to the floor. All over the gym there were light switches, boxes, fire alarms that were covered in “hard cages” so as not to be damaged if someone ran into them …….but, if a player hit em? Wow?

Jump ball goes up for JV game. Hit toward out of bounds. Blue chases after it and makes a great save throwing the ball over his head with both hands. WHAM! He runs right into a set of wall lockers located adjacent to the floor and against the wall. Me :eek: Gonna be one of those nights.

Later in the JV game W12 is leading the fast break and B5 is chasing. B5 goes up to block the shot and WHAM! Both players hit the wall and go crashing to the ground in a heap. W12 is in pain. I saw him roll his ankle. He’s out for the game.

The clock was on the opposite side of the gym from the seats on top of the wall lockers and the operator ran it with a fob from across the gym (I'd never seen that before). Four seconds left before a quarter ended, coach requests a time out. Me, TWEET! Time Out B Coach. Clock went to 2 secs. Me, "I need you to put 4 secs on the clock." Clock operator, "Sure thing." He walks across the floor, takes the clock off the wall lockers, adds 2 secs and returns to his spot on the ampitheater seats. :rolleyes:

And so, my night went……..

Unfortunately, the level of play matched the quality of the facilty. JV game was won by V 32-25. H took the Varsity game 30-19.

Truly a Get in, Get done, Get out evening. Move on. Nothing to see here…….

I’m sending a note to my Association. That gym should be banned.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:29am

"The backboards were even with the end line."

Why? Shouldn't the plane of the backboard be four feet inside the end line?

mbyron Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 650909)

Probably mounted directly to the wall. If they moved each one 4 feet inside the end line, the rims would touch. :rolleyes:

Nevadaref Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 650910)
Probably mounted directly to the wall. If they moved each one 4 feet inside the end line, the rims would touch. :rolleyes:

And the court had two division lines. :D

Ignats75 Wed Jan 13, 2010 09:21am

As a scarlet and grey clad Buckeye, I have only one thing to say....More proof Michigan sucks. :D

chartrusepengui Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 650917)

I had one gym with 3 "division" lines. You had to cross the middle one within 10 seconds - but then the furthest line back was the "new" line deliniating the seperation of front and back court areas. Of course this was all reversed going the other way. What a pain!

grunewar Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 650909)

Big that my referee bag is, I will admit to not having all of my electric power tools in it to move the backboard. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 650910)
Probably mounted directly to the wall.

Exactly

There was about 10' from the top of the arc to the center circle......

Nevadaref Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:26am

So how far was it from the end line to the FT line? :eek:

Back In The Saddle Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:44am

Quote:

Yeah...one was located under each backboard. :D

mbyron Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:47am

Hey, I just figured out the problem with this court: when they built it, they thought the blueprint said 84" instead of 84'. :D

grunewar Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:55pm

Fair question Nevada!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 651011)
So how far was it from the end line to the FT line? :eek:

It was short. The blocks were pushed down toward the backboards. So, in this gym, if the rule wasn't instituted where they stood "above the block," they would have been at a real disadvantage - like even with the backboard.

Really sad.

jdmara Wed Jan 13, 2010 04:10pm

I'm surprised the state would allow games to be in this gym for safety reasons. Does the state know about these apparent unsafe conditions?

-Josh

BillyMac Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:58pm

You Say, "How Small Was It ?" ...

Quote:

And the court had two division lines.

Been there. Done that. Have a game at that school on Saturday, but in a brand new fieldhouse.

chseagle Wed Jan 13, 2010 08:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 650904)
The end lines were two feet from the wall (which had some minor padding).

Reading this reminds me of the secondary gym.

grunewar Wed Jan 13, 2010 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 651219)
I'm surprised the state would allow games to be in this gym for safety reasons. Does the state know about these apparent unsafe conditions?

-Josh

Josh - I don't know about the state, but I sent a note to my Assignor and our Association Commissioner.

Of course, I don't expect any results as the gym has apparently been there for 20 yrs and many others have worked there, played there, been injured there, etc. But, my conscience is clear......