The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Normal basketball play? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56409-normal-basketball-play.html)

Clark Kent Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:46pm

Normal basketball play?

In the NCAA video about elbowing at the 3:17 point on the video it shows a situation where a rebound is obtained by the player in blue who then (at the 3:30 point) rebounds the ball and does a "Normal basketball move" as the announcer states, but then adds that he should be called for a player control foul.

It was my understanding that a play like this and others that fall under the category of a "normal basketball move" are to be no calls. Am I misinformed?

YouTube - 2009 NCAA Mens Officiating Part 2/4

fullor30 Tue Jan 12, 2010 01:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clark Kent (Post 650629)
In the NCAA video about elbowing at the 3:17 point on the video it shows a situation where a rebound is obtained by the player in blue who then (at the 3:30 point) rebounds the ball and does a "Normal basketball move" as the announcer states, but then adds that he should be called for a player control foul.

It was my understanding that a play like this and others that fall under the category of a "normal basketball move" are to be no calls. Am I misinformed?

No comment on that play...........5:30 mark, Ted Hillary passes on elbow.................wow!

fullor30 Tue Jan 12, 2010 01:05pm

Quote:

It's a 'normal' foul, in this case, on the offense. As I understand it, it's not flagrant nor intentional just a player control foul that needs to be called.

BTW, love these videos.

icallfouls Tue Jan 12, 2010 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 650638)
No comment on that play...........5:30 mark, Ted Hillary passes on elbow.................wow!

Sorry from that grainy video ....

the ball was deflected ....

where does it say always :D

But really, here is what I noticed in the video. Watch the L's (Hillary's) head. Head goes where ball goes and there are 3 players immediately in front of him and they were contesting a rebound.

Raymond Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30am

Quote:

A normal basketball move can still result in a foul. I'm sure the "normal basketball move" comment is made in reference as to why you would not call a flagrant or intentional foul.