The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   postseason, votes, and technicals (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56397-postseason-votes-technicals.html)

26 Year Gap Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 650585)
Having coaches help pick the officials for the playoffs is like having criminals help pick judges. :D

The US Senate already does this.

Mark Padgett Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42pm

I heard the economy is so bad, the mafia is laying off judges!

BillyMac Wed Jan 13, 2010 07:10pm

The Constitution State ...

Here in Connecticut coaches "vote" officials into the state tournament. Believe it or not, with very few exceptions, they vote in our very best officials. And in full disclosure, I have never worked a state tournament game.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 13, 2010 08:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 651326)
Here in Connecticut coaches "vote" officials into the state tournament. Believe it or not, with very few exceptions, they vote in our very best officials. And in full disclosure, I have never worked a state tournament game.

Sooooooo, what you're saying is the system works properly in your state, right?:D

constable Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47pm

In Ontario for tournaments that aren't assigned locally, each board nominates a certain # of people and then they are sent to the Provincial Supervisor for selection. I like that system much better than coaches voting. Officials should only be graded by other officials.

BillyMac Thu Jan 14, 2010 07:40am

Self-Fulfilling Prophecy ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 651344)
Sooooooo, what you're saying is the system works properly in your state.

It does. I don't know why it does, but it does. It seems to go against all logic, and what many posters on this Forum believe.

It could have something to do with our peer rating and ranking process, and how that gets used in game assignments. Our best officials get the most regular season games. Those officials get the most exposure, which translates to the most votes from the coaches.

JRutledge Thu Jan 14, 2010 07:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 651452)
It does. I don't know why it does, but it does. It seems to go against all logic, and what many posters on this Forum believe.

It could have something to do with our peer rating and ranking process, and how that gets used in game assignments. Our best officials get the most regular season games. Those officials get the most exposure, which translates to the most votes from the coaches.

All systems work, it is just a matter of what people think works and what does not work. I am convinced that even coaches are not that stupid. They are going to include people they know can work. I just think those that do not get picked make it seem that something is "unfair" when really it is not. Life is not completely fair; I doubt an assigning process is going to make everyone happy no matter how you decide these situations.

Peace

tomegun Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:55am

In the Maryland, around the DC area, if you can work you will get playoff games.

In Mississippi, if you can work you will get playoff games. Coaches rate officials, but coaches are consistent so it doesn't matter what they do. For instance, if a coach gives me a 2, that coach will probably rate everyone low. I only had 1 or 2 coaches give me low ratings, but that was more a reflection on them than me. I was proud of my peer rating, 4.9 out of 5, more than what the coaches said - I think my rating from coaches was around 4.6 my last season.

The "state" decides who goes to the playoffs in Nevada.

Jurassic Referee Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 651452)

You know I was only kidding, right?

If the system keeps sending the same people every year, then imo the system is wrong. You HAVE to break new blood in. If you don't, you'll have major problems if a bunch of experienced officials decide to retire at the same time. You now have to use officials that maybe aren't as ready as you could have made them by giving them a few more of the better games.

It should work the same way in the regular season too. Give some new faces a chance to work the higher profile games and get them the experience that they need. Then when/if you need them, they're a lot readier than if they're just starting to work at a higher level.

You really don't know how any official will do at a higher level until you give them a chance to work at that level.