The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Worst game of the year last night

Freshman/8th grade girls doubleheader. Games are scheduled for 4:00 and 5:00, which usually leaves enough time to be out of the way by 6:15 for a 6:30 JV game and 8:00 varsity game. However, these two schools both dropped their HS JV teams this year due to low numbers. So there was just a 7:00 varsity game, meaning we had plenty of time. Or so I thought....

As kindly as I can say it, my partner is a spaz. I've worked with him once before, last season. The highlight of that game was him "selling" an "over the back" call with some combination of the "no shot" mechanic with the infamous signal that a rare few use for over the back. I'm sure you know the one I mean. It looked like he was having a seizure.

Back to yesterday. I nominated him to be the R for the freshman game. I mean, I got there at 3:30 and he had already gone to the trouble of selecting a game ball and he brought it with him to the locker room when I went to change, so there's that. We got through the first game with almost no problem, so I was feeling good. We were about 10 minutes behind schedule but we had an extra half hour, so we were home free.

I toss to start the 8th grade game, and the tip goes out of bounds opposite the table. I wait for the whistle. And wait. And wait. So I finally blow it myself and look at him. He gives me the jump ball signal. Great start. Ten seconds in, he calls a foul from lead on the defending point guard who is about eight feet away from me and about 45 feet away from him. On the first possession at the other end, with me as lead, the defense pokes the ball away up top and OOB on my sideline. Double whistle, and I glare at him to back him down before I signal. Too late, he is already putting on a show making the call. At least he got it right!

It took a long time to get through the first half (visitors up 10-9) because these kids just didn't know how to play. We had to constantly line them up for free throws, we had a one-and-one where nobody moved, and it seemed like everyone defending the inbound wanted to reach across the line or come close. I tried to cover a couple topics with my partner at halftime but he didn't seem to understand a single thing I said.

Only two things to note in the third quarter: 1) I had a half-dozen calls poached, including a FT violation on the shooter for stepping over the line that he called from the lead despite the fact that I had already blown the whistle. 2) I finally called a delay of game warnings on each team for breaking the plane.

On to the fourth. We had an injury and a couple time outs, so the game was really starting to stretch out. The gym was filling up for the varsity game and the more people in the gym, the more demonstrative my partner got. He had another nice combo signal: the travel and the "wipe it off" (even though there was no shot and the play was 80 feet from the basket. He also had a ball go out of bounds and decided to immediately signal both the direction of play (left arm straight out) and the throw-in spot (right arm straight out).

Now on to the climax. 1:10 to play, home down 20-18, throwing in from opponents' endline, my throw-in. V42 almost hugs the thrower, with both arms two feet over the line. I whistle and make a T signal, then go to the table and report. Home misses the freebies that I administer (after switching on the T) and I toss the ball to my partner for the midcourt throw-in. V42 defending. She must've broken the plane again, because my partner whistles then breaks out his Windmill T that he must've been saving up for the right moment. Too bad this wasn't it. He whacks V42 pretty much right in her face accompanied by a second whistle. I'm watching the activity at the table as he goes to report and it looks like he is sending 42 off and she is starting to cry! I hustle over and ask him what is going on and he says she is out for two technical fouls. I tell him they are team technicals and not on the player so now he wants to seatbelt the coach. Sigh. I bypass him, tell the table and the coach that the technicals are team and not on the player (my mistake for not telling the scorer that when I called the first one) and we continue. Home makes one of two, now 20-19. We survive the last 70 seconds with no more drama or scoring and get done about 6:40.

I stuck around and went in the locker room with the varsity guys to let them beat me up a little, but all their vitriol was for my partner who left right away. They pointed out one thing I missed. He had an OOB that went out deep on the sideline. But he awarded the throw-in on the baseline, halfway between the arc and the lane. The visitors threw it in right under the hoop and scored the basket that broke the 18-18 tie.

So mick, GIGDGO?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 03:57pm
In Memoriam

Fouling a thrower is an intentional personal foul, not a technical foul. NFHS 9-2PENALTIES4.

It is a "T" for a defender to touch the ball only while it is in the thrower's hands, but that "T" is charged to the player-not the team. NFHS rule 9-2PENALTIES3.

Other than that, once you found out that your partner was not open to being helped, it's a GIGO situation. You can only help those that want help.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 04:03pm.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 03:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Fouling a thrower is an intentional personal foul, not a technical foul. NFHS 9-2PENALTIES4.
In this case, it's a technical due to the previously issued DOG warning.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:04pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Snaq brings up an interesting point. Say team A already has one DOG warning. On a spot throw in for team B, A1 reaches over and fouls B1 who has the ball to inbound. Is it an intentional foul plus a technical for the second DOG warning, or just one or the other?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
In this case, it's a technical due to the previously issued DOG warning.
Nope, still an intentional personal foul. See case book play 10.3.10SitA(a)+ COMMENT.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Snaq brings up an interesting point. Say team A already has one DOG warning. On a spot throw in for team B, A1 reaches over and fouls B1 who has the ball to inbound. Is it an intentional foul plus a technical for the second DOG warning, or just one or the other?
Just the former
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:12pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Just the former
Thanks. If there had been no previous DOG warning, would the intentional count as the first, similar to if the defender hit the ball for a technical that counts as the first (if no previous)?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:13pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Nope, still an intentional personal foul. See case book play 10.3.10SitA(a)+ COMMENT.
Interesting, the case says nothing about whether a warning had been issued. I must have misremembered this one.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Thanks. If there had been no previous DOG warning, would the intentional count as the first, similar to if the defender hit the ball for a technical that counts as the first (if no previous)?
Yes.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

I'm guessing this line is causing some confusion:

Quote:
V42 almost hugs the thrower, with both arms two feet over the line.
I didn't judge V42 to have contacted the thrower. When I say "almost hugs" I'm trying to describe the position some young, new players take when trying to guard someone, with both arms out on either side of the player they are defending.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 04:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
I didn't judge V42 to have contacted the thrower. When I say "almost hugs" I'm trying to describe the position some young, new players take when trying to guard someone, with both arms out on either side of the player they are defending.
Yup, the "almost hugs with both arms" implied physical contact to me. No contact = team "T" as per 10-1-5(c)...which was your (correct) call.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Pc

Some of the only good I can see for you from this experience is that when you get a good partner(s) you will appreciate them all the more. I've had a few games and partners like this and the whole time I'm thinking, man this game can't get over with soon enough. (Most HS games, I'm excited and so focused through the whole thing that my head spins when I finally go home and sit for a while. Real close varsity boys drains me for a while.) On a postive note from your post, I learned something about an intentional foul that I was wrong about. I didn't have to blow it in a game. Maybe you can thank your partner for me when you see him??
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yup, the "almost hugs with both arms" implied physical contact to me. No contact = team "T" as per 10-1-5(c)...which was your (correct) call.
Wait....wasn't this the first throw-in plane violation? Did I miss the first one in the OP?
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 06:40pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco View Post
Wait....wasn't this the first throw-in plane violation? Did I miss the first one in the OP?
Yup, somewhere in the OP he stated that he called a DOG warning on both teams in the third quarter. So, the "T" was for the second plane violation.
Old Tue Jan 12, 2010, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yup, somewhere in the OP he stated that he called a DOG warning on both teams in the third quarter. So, the "T" was for the second plane violation.
Ah, yes, I found it:

Quote:
2) I finally called a delay of game warnings on each team for breaking the plane.
APC, you probably should have nipped this in the bud early in the game, as you said:

Quote:
it seemed like everyone defending the inbound wanted to reach across the line or come close.
Even with girls who don't know basketball all that well, a Technical Foul will usually get their attention, if you explain why you're issuing the T. First time it happens, warn them. Next time, T them up.