The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Gene Steratore (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56359-gene-steratore.html)

MOofficial Sun Jan 10, 2010 01:47pm

Gene Steratore

I had no idea that the white hat in the New England playoff game also does D-1. He worked 4 d-1 games this week prior to his playoff game. Statsheet also has him listed as working a game on the 9th, the day before the football game.

There is an nfl official who lives in my area and he says that they have to be there at the game the day before so how does this work when he is doing a basketball game the day before?

Anyone else have some interesting information of some officials who work at high levels in more than 1 sport?

Raymond Sun Jan 10, 2010 01:51pm

And his brother, who I believe is on his crew, works the NCAA Women's side.

Welpe Sun Jan 10, 2010 01:55pm

Jon Bible is a Division I baseball umpire and Big XII football crew chief. He's also a Referee in the UFL.

tjones1 Sun Jan 10, 2010 01:58pm

I could be wrong, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say he was in New England on Saturday and probably wasn't working college basketball.

There was an interesting article in Referee that followed a crew and gave some insight on how the crew prepares. The article mentioned they have to be there a day before. So for a Sunday game the crew has to be there Saturday. In their Saturday meeting (in the article it takes place in the afternoon), they go over game film and other items the league has sent their crew. Very interesting read if you get a chance.

MOofficial Sun Jan 10, 2010 02:21pm

I was just looking on StatSheet at his schedule for the week to see where he was at. StatSheet is sometimes incorrect so that may be the case. It said he was at Buffalo yesterday for a basketball game against Miami (OH). Maybe he could get away with it since he was right in the area.

I know what article you were referring to in Referee magazine that's why I wondered how he could do that, then I looked at where the game was at and it was in the New England area.

Rough life for an officail. I'd hate to see anyone go through that

StripesOhio Sun Jan 10, 2010 02:54pm

According to the Miami(OH) box score, it lists Gene Steratore as one of the referees.

MIAMI (OHIO) OFFICIAL ATHLETIC SITE - Men's Basketball

Wiki entry: Gene Steratore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tjones1 Sun Jan 10, 2010 03:05pm

Hmmm, ok.. I wonder what time this game tipped?

StripesOhio Sun Jan 10, 2010 03:16pm

4PM Eastern

tjones1 Sun Jan 10, 2010 04:03pm

Hmm, well that's interesting. I'm sure the NFL knew where he was and gave him the thumbs up.

By the way, in his second playoff game as a Referee, I thought Gene and his crew had a solid game.

grunewar Sun Jan 10, 2010 04:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 649747)
I had no idea that the white hat in the New England playoff game also does D-1.

I thought it was very interesting that the announcer's brought it up. Even mys son said that was very cool. :cool:

I thought his crew had a good game today too.

BktBallRef Sun Jan 10, 2010 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 649759)
Rough life for an officail. I'd hate to see anyone go through that

Rough? Go through that? A $5000 - $10,000 weekend! LOL! I'm quite sure he loves it!!

My guess would be the crew flew in Friday and took care of all their required pre-game work with time to spare.

BTW, I do wish he would pull his sleeves down on his wrist.

KJUmp Sun Jan 10, 2010 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 649750)
And his brother, who I believe is on his crew, works the NCAA Women's side.

His brother, Tony, is the back judge on Jerome Boger's crew. (Referee Magazine-Jan. 2010 issue, Pg.21)

bbcof83 Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOofficial (Post 649747)
I had no idea that the white hat in the New England playoff game also does D-1. He worked 4 d-1 games this week prior to his playoff game. Statsheet also has him listed as working a game on the 9th, the day before the football game.

There is an nfl official who lives in my area and he says that they have to be there at the game the day before so how does this work when he is doing a basketball game the day before?

Anyone else have some interesting information of some officials who work at high levels in more than 1 sport?

That explains why his mechanics are so much smoother and easier to look at than some NFL white hats. Mike Carey's herky jerky motions are painful to watch.

Rich Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbcof83 (Post 650047)
That explains why his mechanics are so much smoother and easier to look at than some NFL white hats. Mike Carey's herky jerky motions are painful to watch.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this when watching Carey.

MOofficial Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:56am

Are you talking about the same Mike "I point 2 different directions when I signal who the penalty is on" Carey?