The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Backcourt violation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56307-backcourt-violation.html)

cmhjordan23 Thu Jan 07, 2010 03:39pm

Backcourt violation

On a backcourt violation, where is the inbound spot? I know it is normally at the division line. For instance team A is in the front court, ball goes in backcourt and team A does not touch it until the ball rolls into the free throw lane. Backcourt violation, but where is ball inbounded? Division line or end line?

jdmara Thu Jan 07, 2010 03:41pm

At the spot nearest the violation...In your situation, the ball would be inbounded at the endline

-Josh

Adam Thu Jan 07, 2010 04:03pm

It's normally inbounded at the division line becauset that's where most BC violations occur. In your situation, though, the violation occurred near the end line; put the ball in play there.

showbo Thu Jan 07, 2010 04:27pm

Speaking of backcourt, I missed a classic call the other night. I even saw it, and didn't call it.

Team A1 has ball in front court, A2 is coming from backcourt, when A1 passes the ball to A2, A2 JUMPS from backcourt catches the ball, then lands in frontcourt. That is backcourt violation!

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 07, 2010 04:39pm

OT - Hey shobo

I find it ironic there's something wrong with your signature. :D

"I may not always be right, but I am never wrong. Besides, if you disagree with me, that just means your wrong."

just another ref Thu Jan 07, 2010 04:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 649249)

"I may not always be right, but I am never wrong. Besides, if you disagree with me, that just means your wrong."

wrong:
–noun
8. that which is wrong, or not in accordance with morality, goodness, or truth; evil: I committed many wrongs.

Your wrong, as opposed to my wrong?

showbo Thu Jan 07, 2010 04:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 649249)

Noted, and corrected.

Hartsy Thu Jan 07, 2010 05:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by showbo (Post 649239)
Speaking of backcourt, I missed a classic call the other night. I even saw it, and didn't call it.

Team A1 has ball in front court, A2 is coming from backcourt, when A1 passes the ball to A2, A2 JUMPS from backcourt catches the ball, then lands in frontcourt. That is backcourt violation!

Earlier this season I called a violation in an identical situation. Some guy in the crowd had a problem with it, however. I laughed to myself when he said "he caught it in the air".

representing Thu Jan 07, 2010 06:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartsy (Post 649265)
Earlier this season I called a violation in an identical situation. Some guy in the crowd had a problem with it, however. I laughed to myself when he said "he caught it in the air".

I love those times when a fan or coach yells something like this for a violation or non-violation. I had one on Monday. Player dives to get a loose ball, grabs it and continues to slide while trying to pass the ball. Opposing team's coach is yelling "TRAVEL!!!". *sighs* I love it when a coach or fan thinks they know the rules and we don't.

BillyMac Thu Jan 07, 2010 08:17pm

This Is A Job For The Mythbusters ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmhjordan23 (Post 649219)
On a backcourt violation, where is the inbound spot? I know it is normally at the division line. For instance team A is in the front court, ball goes in backcourt and team A does not touch it until the ball rolls into the free throw lane. Backcourt violation, but where is ball inbounded? Division line or end line?

After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...70756e11_m.jpg

zm1283 Thu Jan 07, 2010 08:24pm

I passed on a BC violation the other night when it caught me by surprise. A's player picked up her dribble with one foot in the FC and the other foot on the division line (In the BC). She pivoted, with her FC foot being the pivot foot, and picked up the BC foot and put it back down in the BC. It didn't register until a couple of seconds later, and they were getting killed, so I passed on it.

Freddy Thu Jan 07, 2010 08:48pm

You have the right to an attorney...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 649304)
After a violation, the ball is awarded to the opponents for a throwin from an out of bounds spot nearest the violation. This is especially true for a backcourt violation, where the ball may not necessarily be put in play at the division line, but, rather, is always put back in play at the spot nearest the violation.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3582/...70756e11_m.jpg

No copyright notice?
Don't answer that knock you're about to hear at your door! :D

Camron Rust Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 649309)
No copyright notice?
Don't answer that knock you're about to hear at your door! :D

You think that a copyright notice will save him? :eek: