The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   OT - "Upstarts embarrass Beavers" (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56305-ot-upstarts-embarrass-beavers.html)

Mark Padgett Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:13pm

OT - "Upstarts embarrass Beavers"

That was the story headline in the sports section of this morning's Oregonian newspaper to describe what happened to the Oregon State men's basketball team in their game against Seattle University last night. Seattle won the game 99-48. It was the worst home loss for the Beavers since they started playing basketball in the 1901-1902 season (as I remember it ;) ) and equaled their worst defeat ever (another 99-48 loss - at Arizona in 1997).

They trailed by 54 points in the second half before losing by 51. Seattle came in at 6-9, which makes the defeat even worse, considering only a few days before, the Beavers almost beat 17th ranked Washington on the road.

Beavers coach Craig Robinson (President Obama's brother-in-law) said he would "love to just throw this one out". To show his team how disappointed he was, he called a 5 am practice for this morning. His plan is to "make practice so unbearable that they forget about it" - meaning the game, not the practice, I guess.

What made it even worse for Oregon State was that Seattle's star player, 6'10" Charles Garcia, did nothing for 35 minutes because of foul trouble but it didn't matter, since they had five players in double figures. Oh yeah - there were nine or ten NBA scouts there to see Garcia. I wonder if they asked for their ticket price back.

Man - this has to hurt.

26 Year Gap Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 649160)
That was the story headline in the sports section of this morning's Oregonian newspaper to describe what happened to the Oregon State men's basketball team in their game against Seattle University last night. Seattle won the game 99-48. It was the worst home loss for the Beavers since they started playing basketball in the 1901-1902 season (as I remember it ;) ) and equaled their worst defeat ever (another 99-48 loss - at Arizona in 1997).

They trailed by 54 points in the second half before losing by 51. Seattle came in at 6-9, which makes the defeat even worse, considering only a few days before, the Beavers almost beat 17th ranked Washington on the road.

Beavers coach Craig Robinson (President Obama's brother-in-law) said he would "love to just throw this one out". To show his team how disappointed he was, he called a 5 am practice for this morning. His plan is to "make practice so unbearable that they forget about it" - meaning the game, not the practice, I guess.

What made it even worse for Oregon State was that Seattle's star player, 6'10" Charles Garcia, did nothing for 35 minutes because of foul trouble but it didn't matter, since they had five players in double figures. Oh yeah - there were nine or ten NBA scouts there to see Garcia. I wonder if they asked for their ticket price back.

Man - this has to hurt.

yup

grunewar Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:28pm

Hmm.....

Rumor has it, the Coach of Seattle is the same guy who coached the Texas High School Team to its 170-35 win earlier in the season. After the game, the Seattle University Coach said, “I thought it was ok to destroy them, I mean, I used all 15 players and didn't start my starters in the second half!” :)

chseagle Thu Jan 07, 2010 06:12pm

Seattle Media's POV of game

Here's the article about the game from the Seattle Times:
Seattle University | Seattle U. crushes Oregon State by 51 points | Seattle Times Newspaper

In the article, the OSU Coach is making some excuses as to why his team isn't playing well.

Grunewar,

The SU Coach is a former assistant at UW.

Although that might explain why Jack Yates has such good games, maybe they scrimmage against D-1 Schools in the preseason.

SethPDX Thu Jan 07, 2010 08:23pm

Seattle did it without Elgin Baylor playing, either! :D