The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Proper way to report a flagrant personal foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56244-proper-way-report-flagrant-personal-foul.html)

KJUmp Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:28pm

Proper way to report a flagrant personal foul

2nd yr. ref. NFHS rules. What is the proper way to report a flagrant personal foul to the table? The NFHS signal chart shows no signal for a flagrant foul.
I have not had to make this call yet, was just wondering what was the proper way to report it...both the mechanics and the reporting sequence as we also have a DQ'd player.

Nevadaref Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:32pm

"White, 31, flagrant foul, 2 shots*, player is disqualified." Followed by notifying the head coach.

* or however many FTs are appropriate.

Forksref Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:37am

"Coach, flagrant foul on #31. He has disqualified himself."

BillyMac Tue Jan 05, 2010 07:31am

Ask Bobby Cox ???

The baseball-like, "You're outta here", signal that some officials use is not an accepted NFHS signal.

bas2456 Tue Jan 05, 2010 09:02am

Don't have my books with me right now...

Let's say the flagrant foul occurs when B1 fouls A1 in the act of shooting a 3-pointer. How does the sequence of FT's go?

bob jenkins Tue Jan 05, 2010 09:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 648472)
Don't have my books with me right now...

Let's say the flagrant foul occurs when B1 fouls A1 in the act of shooting a 3-pointer. How does the sequence of FT's go?

You mean B1 flagrantly fouls A1 in the act of shooting? Then A1 gets two shots (unless it was an unsuccessful 3-point attempt) and A gets the ball at the spot of the foul

Rich Tue Jan 05, 2010 09:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 648427)

I hate that phrase and I'm sure most coaches would too. The official disqualifies the player, regardless of how much we like to say the action determines the response.

Indianaref Tue Jan 05, 2010 09:55am

Quote:

What do you tell the coach if he just violates?

Raymond Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:01am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 648484)
What do you tell the coach if he just violates?

That #31 needs to check himself in with Dr. Drew.

Adam Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 648458)
The baseball-like, "You're outta here", signal that some officials use is not an <strike>accepted</strike> official NFHS signal.

Fixed it for you. While it's not official, it is accepted in some areas.

Jurassic Referee Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 648490)
Fixed it for you. While it's not official, it is accepted in some areas.

Including my area....

Put down "usage of non-official signal" as another entry on my long list of things that I could care less about when officiating a game.

Maybe if we can get enough officials across the country to follow this, we can make Nevada's head explode.:D

26 Year Gap Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee (Post 648506)
Including my area....

Put down "usage of non-official signal" as another entry on my long list of things that I could care less about when officiating a game.

Maybe if we can get enough officials across the country to follow this, we can make Nevada's head explode.:D

Nothing wrong with that as long as they are in their PCAs.

tjchamp Tue Jan 05, 2010 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 648476)
You mean B1 flagrantly fouls A1 in the act of shooting? Then A1 gets two shots (unless it was an unsuccessful 3-point attempt) and A gets the ball at the spot of the foul

How many free throws would A1 get if he was flagrantly fouled on a 3 point attempt, and he made the basket?

Raymond Tue Jan 05, 2010 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjchamp (Post 648564)
how many free throws would a1 get if he was flagrantly fouled on a 3 point attempt, and he made the basket?

bob jenkins Tue Jan 05, 2010 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjchamp (Post 648564)
How many free throws would A1 get if he was flagrantly fouled on a 3 point attempt, and he made the basket?

Since that's not "unless it was an unsuccessful 3-point attempt" then the answer remains the same -- 2.