The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 05:29pm
Official Forum Member

I thought the elbow was flagrant.

Having said that, there was a play later in the first half where Cousins shoved an opponent during a dead ball. When I saw it, I immediately thought "T", but nothing was called. I don't know if they didn't see it or didn't think a technical was warranted, but I hope that somebody didn't see it and think "well, he already has one technical, so I'll pass on this."
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
If you don't feel like it should have been a flagrant, cool. But, the reasoning above is total BS in my opinion.

Rut, mentioned why he thought it isn't flagrant; an opinion that will initiate conversation. JR said he thought it was flagrant; another opinion. Neither of those opinions are lemming-ish. I made that up for this special occasion!
I stated that I tought it was borderline in an earlier post...that I didn't think it was flagrant but believed before the call that a flagrant was a possible outcome of the review. Even though I didn't think it was flagrent, I wouldn't claim soneone was wrong who would call it flagrant.

The statement that I was responding to
"If that's not flagrant, especially after seeing it on the replay, then I don't know what is."
is clearly too strong given that three very credibile officials didn't call it flagrant.

I didn't feel I needed to repeat my specific opinion.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 06:21pm.
Old Mon Jan 04, 2010, 09:14pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I stated that I tought it was borderline in an earlier post...that I didn't think it was flagrant but believed before the call that a flagrant was a possible outcome of the review. Even though I didn't think it was flagrent, I wouldn't claim soneone was wrong who would call it flagrant.

The statement that I was responding to
"If that's not flagrant, especially after seeing it on the replay, then I don't know what is."
is clearly too strong given that three very credibile officials didn't call it flagrant.

I didn't feel I needed to repeat my specific opinion.
I made my comment in reference to your statement that went along with the officials on the game merely because they do a lot of games. I think that is weak logic. If you had an opinion of your own that was previously stated I would have no problem with that.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Deej, did you notice Cahill, the Lead, on the play? I thought that he had a good look at the play and he did call the held ball, but the Trail had to come all the way in to make the subsequent calls. The Trail called both initial "T"s against Louisville while Cahill seemed to stay right out of the play.

Cahill is a veteran official who has shown that he's certainly not afraid to make the tough call. I was just wondering why he didn't get more involved in a play that was right in front of him.

Thoughts?
JR - Didn't Tony Greene come in with one of the T's from the centre position? I thought I saw that on the replay.

Shows, from what I can see, was the T on this play - and way too far away from what looks like his primary, or at least a double-coverage area. Poor positioning?

The replay they showed during the broadcast, which was from the camera on the baseline, showed that the T had a clear view of the struggle for the ball - but was likely too far away when it got intense and Cousins threw the elbow.
Old Tue Jan 05, 2010, 10:55am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrefguy View Post
JR - Didn't Tony Greene come in with one of the T's from the centre position? I thought I saw that on the replay.

Shows, from what I can see, was the T on this play - and way too far away from what looks like his primary, or at least a double-coverage area. Poor positioning?

The replay they showed during the broadcast, which was from the camera on the baseline, showed that the T had a clear view of the struggle for the ball - but was likely too far away when it got intense and Cousins threw the elbow.
Yup, there were 2 "T"s originally called on the play against Louisville and I think that both Greene and Shows each got one.

The play was half-way down the lane line and on the L's side. Definitely in Cahill's primary. I don't know(and probably never will) why he didn't catch the forearm. He musta been screened or something is all I can figure. No way that Shows should have to come all the way in from T to make any call. He's just too far away to have a good view of the whole play.

Agree also that it's very possible that Shows was screened out from the elbow thrown by Cousins too.

My take on it? From what I've read in the Kentucky papers, there was trash-talking before the game and all through the game. Both coachs were also quoted saying something like "our guys will never back down" and "they'll never punk us out" and nonsense like that. And both team's supporters claimed that their opponents were nothing but thugs. But imo you can forget about blaming the kids and lay a lot or all of the blame on both the head coaches. And that's not surprising either because they are a good pair; they're both scumballs. If any coach want to stop the trash-talking and posing, s/he can and will. Those two clowns believe in intimidation and getting any advantage that they can though and their players simply follow their lead.