The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Yes and No.....

I had a great game....I got to work (girls) Mater Dei vs. Jefferson (Oregon's defending 5A state champs). That was a real treat. Great ball (a lot closer game than anyone expected...the lead was down to 6 midway through the 4th before Mater Dei stomped on the accelerator and put it away), great coaches, great crowd. That was a ball of fun and even though I work more boys ball than girls, I'd take that game any day.

Fast forward a couple of days....

Sitting at home one afternoon with a game schedule at 7:45pm. When an unexpected snowstorm hits. The site is normally about 40-45 minutes away. My partner and I plan to leave early to account for the weather. He leaves his house at 4:45 to pick me up (normally 5 minutes away) and makes it to my house at 5:10. We hit the road. After a long and torturous journey, we roll into the gym at....

8:25-8:30...halftime!!

The guys who worked the first half were not even scheduled for the game before...they were there from earlier having worked for others who never even made it. We would have let them finish it but they were ready to go after having been there all day.

Second have went fast (not a great game).....in the door and out in about 35 minutes......then another 2.5 hours home.

Over 6 hours of dirve time for 2 quarters of ball....ouch.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Between December 18 and December 30 I worked 14 varsity holiday tournament games at six different locations in five different cities/towns. Attendance at these events in my area of Georgia has dramatically dropped in recent years. They are still fun to work, but smaller crowds means more individual "heckler" voices heard by officials and greater frustration with the behavior of spectators and coaches.

I worked several opening round games, several consolation games, and one really good girls' semi-final contest. Of the 14 games, only three were settled by six points or less and one of those three was a double-overtime game.

Most Georgia holiday tournament games are worked by "district partnership" crews. These are crews made up of members from more than one officials' association. Officials are often evaluated by state office personnel during these games.

A few days off before we crank it back up January 5.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 03:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior View Post
one of those three was a double-overtime game.
What the H-E-double hockey sticks is wrong with you? Haven't you been paying attention to anything I've said?
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

I know!!!! Bad officiating!!! :-)
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 04:02pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsRefJunior View Post
I know!!!! Bad officiating!!! :-)
Next thing you know, you'll be claiming you've forgotten the first rule of officiating!
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 06:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Beg Of You, Please Don't Ask, No, I Implore You ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Next thing you know, you'll be claiming you've forgotten the first rule of officiating!
HoopsRefJunior: I can see that you have posted only two dozen times, so I expect that you don't know Mark Padgett's first rule of officiating. Please, if you believe in a higher power, and that the world is basically a good, just, place, don't ask what this rule is.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 06:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
HoopsRefJunior: I can see that you have posted only two dozen times, so I expect that you don't know Mark Padgett's first rule of officiating. Please, if you believe in a higher power, and that the world is basically a good, just, place, don't ask what this rule is.
You know, Billy Mac, all of us know you are just baiting him.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

tjones1 and I got into the holiday spirit on Wednesday at the Charleston Holiday Tournament. As a crew we had 5 player technical fouls and one player ejection. It was the worst varsity game I have been involved in.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 10:51pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
Maybe this might help,

I am working on implementing the things we have been instructed this season to do. We need to make sure that we are the best team on the floor tonight and that we are the best crew these teams will see this season.

Ask the official what types of things they would like to discuss so that they can referee their best. Does that person have any pet peeves, any strange situations, etc. that can be discussed and used to bring the crew together.

To these teams this is the most important game of the night/season, let's be sure we give them our best until the very end. Let's hustle, be deadball efficient, and have fun.
We are way past doing/saying anything like this with this guy. I think I will do my normal pregame and then jump on him with two feet when he starts BSing on the court. We have got great instruction/guidelines from the instructional chair and I'm sick of seeing guys go out and ignore what he has been saying. We receive weekly video clips; I finally made a clip...for something good.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Ref View Post
tjones1 and I got into the holiday spirit on Wednesday at the Charleston Holiday Tournament. As a crew we had 5 player technical fouls and one player ejection. It was the worst varsity game I have been involved in.
I heard about this game from my regular partner. I have them in 4 weeks. Should be fun.

I was in Bloomington/Normal working the girls side of the State Farm Holiday Classic. All games went great and the assigner for the post season was there to see our crew work and said we did a great job.
Old Sat Jan 02, 2010, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illini_Ref View Post
We know that you are blaming Tanner for that.

At least we can be sure that he brought multiple whistles with him and so wasn't at a loss when the first one wore out.