The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thank God This Didn't Happen In My Game

OK guys, need help with a situation that came up during a Christmas get together with my family. This happened in my cousin's 7th grade basketball game, and I really don't know how I would handled it.

Start of the 4th quarter, and Team A inbounds the balls at mid-court. A1 is fouled by B1, and the basket goes through the hoop, so we have an And-1. Before the free throw is administered, the coach from B calls the officials over and makes them aware that they were shooting at the wrong basket.

The R in the game had the entire game going in the wrong direction, and it was corrected during the free throw like I said. So, what is the ruling??

The officials in the game simply said that the basket counted, and they were going to move everyone to the correct hoop, shoot the And-1, and play on from there.

Technically, from a common sense standpoint, that makes sense, but they wanted to the official rules answer. My answer is that we have a common, non-shooting foul, since it was not a shot because the definition of a shot is attempting to throw the ball into YOUR team's hoop. Therefore, the basket is cancelled, the foul is on the floor, and it is Team A's ball, throw-in on the end line.

I went through, but couldn't think of any CEs this would fall under. Any help would be appreciated!!
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 10:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm looking for the case play now, but they handled it correctly, by rule. Assuming both teams were playing the wrong direction, this is how they (fed) want it handled.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 10:49pm
This IS My Social Life

Not Exactly Jim Marshall, But . . .

There's a rule that seems to addresses the situation:
4-5-4: If by mistake the officials permit a team to go the wrong direction,
when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall
count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location.
Does that do it?
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 10:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

That's it. Thanks, Freddy. I was thinking it was a case play, but the rule addresses it pretty clearly.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 11:03pm
This IS My Social Life

Similar Casebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
That's it. Thanks, Freddy. I was thinking it was a case play, but the rule addresses it pretty clearly.
Snaqs, your mention of a casebook citation led me to this, which is seemingly applicable to the point:
5.2.1 SITUATION F: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. Several baskets are scored before it is recognized that both teams are throwing the ball into the opponent’s basket. RULING: All points scored count as if the teams had gone the right direction and scored in their own basket. Once the mistake is recognized, play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket. (4-5-4)

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Dec 26, 2009 at 11:04pm. Reason: speeling mistaks
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 11:11pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Ah, I quit looking when you posted the rule. Thanks again. Wish they would have numbered these the same.
Old Sat Dec 26, 2009, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

Yep, if everybody goes the wrong direction you stop them, point everybody in the proper direction, and carry on from there. If a single player or just a couple players go the wrong direction, handle this as shooting at the wrong basket. If this latter case were the case in the OP, the OP's answer would be correct.