The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel View Post
Seems to me that any of us who visit this site, and post questions, realizes that rule book reading is a must.
I also believe that no-one here knows all the rules 100%. If there were no rule questions/concerns about a situation, this valuable/interesting site would be non-existent.
Sure. When the people who clearly don't know the rules start giving out advice, that's a problem.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:11pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by representing View Post
How dare you?! You don't even ****ing know me. I had one bad game last year, that was it. Officiating is my primary job right now, I don't do anything else. It is one of the things I love to do the most.

You say time doesn't matter, neither does it matter to me. if there's .01 second left on a clock and a coach says something to me, I'll T him up even if he's down by 50!

That's it, end of discussion, I'm done for now. I got a game tonight and will be back on afterward if anything unusual comes up.
Now that you have shown some passion for the game, read what you wrote again. I didn't make my comments based on anything other than what you said.

If you really want to end the discussion I think the OP has the ability to delete a thread. But I hope you didn't think I would read what you wrote and think the discussion was over. Sorry if I upset you.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Sure. When the people who clearly don't know the rules start giving out advice, that's a problem.
regardless of how long they've been a member or their post count!
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I couldn't care less about post counts. It only bothers me when someone thinks they own the forum and I look to see they've been on this site for several years and only have like 200 posts.
How is that relevant in any way? Sometimes you just need to shut up and listen.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:13pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Sometimes you just need to shut up and listen.
In this day and age that is a lost art.

How you been Smitty?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
Now that you have shown some passion for the game, read what you wrote again. I didn't make my comments based on anything other than what you said.

If you really want to end the discussion I think the OP has the ability to delete a thread. But I hope you didn't think I would read what you wrote and think the discussion was over. Sorry if I upset you.
No, I knew it was going to get some responses. And I apologize for flipping out like that.

I know I said "I couldn't wait for the game to be over" but I didn't mean it as in "hey, let's get this game over and head to the bar asap!". I meant it as in "once this game is over I can go back to the locker room and just relax". But like you gave the T in .6 seconds left, if something came up with just seconds left, then I would have dealt with it regardless of a close game or not. I can't remember if it was a close game or not, but since I'm remembering emotions were high, I'm assuming it was a pretty close game.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In this day and age that is a lost art.

How you been Smitty?
Indeed. I have learned more from this site about basketball rules than from anywhere else. I have been here for years and I absorb a ton of useful info. Only recently, when I am very sure of my answer, will I try and give advice. It helps no one when you guess and guess wrong.

Anyway, things are going well. Adjusting to officiating in Texas. Love working 3-man - it is something you can't appreciate enough until you do it and then go back to 2-man for a game. Sounds like you've been busy. Hope all is well...
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:22pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
No, I knew it was going to get some responses. And I apologize for flipping out like that.

I know I said "I couldn't wait for the game to be over" but I didn't mean it as in "hey, let's get this game over and head to the bar asap!". I meant it as in "once this game is over I can go back to the locker room and just relax". But like you gave the T in .6 seconds left, if something came up with just seconds left, then I would have dealt with it regardless of a close game or not. I can't remember if it was a close game or not, but since I'm remembering emotions were high, I'm assuming it was a pretty close game.
I admit to being a literal person a lot and you continue to confuse me. You are saying you would deal with a situation regardless, but this whole thread is based on a situation you had that you did NOT deal with. Is there something I'm missing?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I admit to being a literal person a lot and you continue to confuse me. You are saying you would deal with a situation regardless, but this whole thread is based on a situation you had that you did NOT deal with. Is there something I'm missing?
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't deal with it then because at the time I didn't know exactly when that player is a bench player and didn't want to wrongfully make the coach sit. I was talking with my partner and the V officials after the game about it. I'm going to be honest about what i would have done, but I now know this isn't correct.

report personal foul
report technical foul
indirect technical to the coach (when table let me know player had 5 fouls, I would've said to the coach that this is his 5th foul, and he had to sit because he was a benched player during the technical situation)
coach sits
two team fouls total for both personal and technical
fouled shooter gets 2 FT, team gets 2 FT
Ball at half-court.

That is what I would have done, but now I know that everything is correct except for the indirect technical to coach and that he sits. I also probably should give the player a flagrant technical foul instead of a technical. Then, the ball would be taken out-of-bounds underneath the basket to the team who just shot the free-throws because of the flagrant foul.

does this clear things up (not sarcastic)?
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also probably should give the player a flagrant technical foul instead of a technical. Then, the ball would be taken out-of-bounds underneath the basket to the team who just shot the free-throws because of the flagrant foul.

Oh boy. It clarifies something but not what you were hoping for.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the ball would be taken out-of-bounds underneath the basket to the team who just shot the free-throws because of the flagrant foul.
The throw-in following the technical foul would be administered at the division line.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. I didn't deal with it then because at the time I didn't know exactly when that player is a bench player and didn't want to wrongfully make the coach sit. I was talking with my partner and the V officials after the game about it. I'm going to be honest about what i would have done, but I now know this isn't correct.

report personal foul
report technical foul
indirect technical to the coach (when table let me know player had 5 fouls, I would've said to the coach that this is his 5th foul, and he had to sit because he was a benched player during the technical situation)
coach sits

two team fouls total for both personal and technical
fouled shooter gets 2 FT, team gets 2 FT
Ball at half-court.

That is what I would have done, but now I know that everything is correct except for the indirect technical to coach and that he sits. I also probably should give the player a flagrant technical foul instead of a technical. Then, the ball would be taken out-of-bounds underneath the basket to the team who just shot the free-throws because of the flagrant foul.

Didn't you indicate that the player bumped you before you reported the personal foul? If so, above in red is not correct.

And I don't have a clue how you came up with this.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post
Didn't you indicate that the player bumped you before you reported the personal foul? If so, above in red is not correct.
He mentioned that the part in red was what he would have done then but now knows the err of his ways. The rest speaks for itself. One step forward, two steps back...
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:46pm
Huck Finn

It doesn't really clear things up because I wasn't looking for step-by-step actions. You either do or you don't.
Old Wed Dec 23, 2009, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw3018 View Post

And I don't have a clue how you came up with this.
What's wrong with blue? I would like your clarification please.