The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Intentional foul (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/56055-intentional-foul.html)

MelbRef Tue Dec 22, 2009 08:27pm

Intentional foul

What are some common examples of intentional fouls that you guys have called?

The typical one is the breakaway and the defender grabbing the players jersey or body from behind (not going for the ball).

I'm just trying to get a full understanding of the circumstances that I would make this call.

representing Tue Dec 22, 2009 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelbRef (Post 644956)
What are some common examples of intentional fouls that you guys have called?

The typical one is the breakaway and the defender grabbing the players jersey or body from behind (not going for the ball).

I'm just trying to get a full understanding of the circumstances that I would make this call.

The most common one I call is a push in the back when a player is dribbling or going for a layup. That is always an intentional foul because it is dangerous because of the risk of whiplash and neck injuries. Besides that, I've called several of these intentional fouls for when a player has made no attempt to play the ball and ran into a player during a layup, but not enough for flagrant.

BillyMac Tue Dec 22, 2009 09:14pm

Intentional Foul ...

If there’s no play on the ball, if the defense grabs the jersey, or pushes from behind, or bear hugs the offensive player, we should consider an intentional foul. These are not basketball plays and should be penalized as intentional.

just another ref Tue Dec 22, 2009 09:54pm

Intentional foul can also be the call for excessive contact. I had one of these a couple of years ago, coach never did understand/accept the call. A1 had a breakaway. As he went up for the layup, B1 sprinted in and blocked the shot cleanly, but in doing so contacted A1 in the middle of the back hard enough to really plant him.

Adam Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:31pm

Usually the ones I see are late in the game from the team behind; players that don't know how to foul. They don't even make a pretense to go for the ball.

refinks Wed Dec 23, 2009 03:05am

Had an intentional foul call in a boys JV game this past Friday. Defender was clearly beaten on a drive to the hoop, so he reaches out and grabs the ballhanders jersey, gives it a tug and pulls it right out. easy intentional call. As I'm reporting it, the coach says "That's a weak call, they don't even make that call in varsity games." His team was getting their butts kicked at the time, so I let it slide with just a warning to the coach. Had I been thinking, I would have responded back with "Oh really coach? You must not watch much basketball on tv then, because I see it called all the time in college and NBA games."

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 23, 2009 08:16am

Any variation on the play where the overzealous but clueless defender is going to make sure the shooter doesn't make the basket and causes excessive contact.