The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shin Pain (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55979-shin-pain.html)

bas2456 Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:09pm

Shin Pain

I get pain in my shins, may be shin splints. Not sure what causes them, but it makes running up and down the court a chore.

Anyone have similar pains? What did you do to help the pain besides Advil?

StripesOhio Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:13pm

Tape them up.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:13pm

Don't run up and down the court. :eek:

bas2456 Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 643625)
Don't run up and down the court. :eek:

This should be the new 3-man mechanic...Two guys stands at the end line, one at each, in a Lead position, then the third guy is always the Trail. It's three-person 2-man mechanics.

Loudwhistle Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 643623)
I get pain in my shins, may be shin splints. Not sure what causes them, but it makes running up and down the court a chore.

Buy some shoe inserts that are spongy. I paid $30 for my pair and I have happy legs and feet at the end of every game! I'm away from my shoes right now, but I'll look and see if I can get you the brand name of the inserts later.

bas2456 Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loudwhistle (Post 643627)
Buy some shoe inserts that are spongy. I paid $30 for my pair and I have happy legs and feet at the end of every game! I'm away from my shoes right now, but I'll look and see if I can get you the brand name of the inserts later.

That would be fantastic. This has happened to me in Nike shoes and in New Balance shoes, so it must be me and not the shoes.

Forksref Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:18pm

Quote:

Better arch support. I don't mean an entire sole insert. I mean build up the arch of the shoe and it will help immensely.

bas2456 Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 643629)
Better arch support. I don't mean an entire sole insert. I mean build up the arch of the shoe and it will help immensely.

How do I go about doing that?

VTOfficial Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:08am

Try doing some stretching as well to keep those muscles loose. I do a stretch where I get on my knees and then sit down on my shins while pointing my toes back behind me...that's the best way I can describe it. You should feel it through the lower half of you shins and you should do it on a soft floor. Hold the stretch for about 30 seconds and repeat 2-3 times.

chseagle Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:26am

Quote:

For pain relief, you have Acetamenophen (Tylenol), Advil, Aspirin, or Aleve (Naproxen Sodium).

fullor30 Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chseagle (Post 643644)
For pain relief, you have Acetamenophen (Tylenol), Advil, Aspirin, or Aleve (Naproxen Sodium).

Get shin splints at the scorer's table do ya?

chseagle Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 643646)
Get shin splints at the scorer's table do ya?

Actually it's called headaches from coaches yelling at the scorebook LMAO

jdw3018 Fri Dec 18, 2009 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 643632)
How do I go about doing that?

I'd got to a running store. Tell them about the pain you're having and bring your shoes. Would not be surprised if you're an over-pronator (the majority of us are) and Nikes for sure, and depending on the type of New Balance also, don't provide a lot of stability for pronation. A good running store (not a Foot Locker, but something like Fleet Feet or Run In) will be able to help you find a better shoe and/or the appropriate inserts that will help you.

I use inserts called Superfeet. They have saved me a lot of pain.

"Squishy" will not necessarily help. It may help, it may hurt. You may need something very firm in the arch. Get to the running store, ask them to if they can do a gait analysis. You won't regret it.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 18, 2009 09:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VTOfficial (Post 643641)
Try doing some stretching as well to keep those muscles loose. I do a stretch where I get on my knees and then sit down on my shins while pointing my toes back behind me...that's the best way I can describe it. You should feel it through the lower half of you shins and you should do it on a soft floor. Hold the stretch for about 30 seconds and repeat 2-3 times.

Agreed.

Also, walk around on your heels for 25-30 steps and then your toes for 25-30 steps. Repeat. (This is an exercise to do at home as well).

Do calf stretches and then calf raises (holding the raise just as you would for a calf stretch).

hoopguy Fri Dec 18, 2009 09:13am

Serious Answer - Shin Splints Cure

This REALLY works. I have no affiliation with this guy except it REALLY works. My daughter has huge shin splints problems and we spent hundreds of dollars on doctors and PT and inserts and it did nothing. I figured for the cost of one PT session we wouldl give it a try. This cures the problem.

Contact
[email protected] for his book. I think it was $25 when I bought it. I would give you his website but can't find it now.