The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Whistle is weak (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55932-whistle-weak.html)

Rita C Wed Dec 16, 2009 02:44am

Whistle is weak

I haven't had a problem with my whistle in years. Yet the past two days I've been told my whistle is weak and can barely be heard.

Any suggestions?

Rita

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 16, 2009 02:46am

Do you think it's sounding weaker? When was the last time you cleaned it? Perhaps your partner needs fresh batteries in his hearing aid? :)

representing Wed Dec 16, 2009 03:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 642864)
Do you think it's sounding weaker? When was the last time you cleaned it? Perhaps your partner needs fresh batteries in his hearing aid? :)

I hope the partner wasn't me! I am hearing-impaired. My hearing-aids are fine though :)

representing Wed Dec 16, 2009 03:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 642863)
I haven't had a problem with my whistle in years. Yet the past two days I've been told my whistle is weak and can barely be heard.

Any suggestions?

Rita

I always replace my whistles a few times a year, but I officiate several different sports year round.

Raymond Wed Dec 16, 2009 09:20am

Boil your whistles then soak them over night in Listerine.

But remember to keep the lid on the pot when boiling. Not a pretty site when all the water evaporates. :o

Of course, there is also the obvious answer of putting more air into your whistle.

Loudwhistle Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rita C (Post 642863)

Any suggestions?

Rita

Maybe we should get together, I have an opposite problem!!

j51969 Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 642933)
Boil your whistles then soak them over night in Listerine.

But remember to keep the lid on the pot when boiling. Not a pretty site when all the water evaporates. :o

Of course, there is also the obvious answer of putting more air into your whistle.

I have done exactly that and yes it's gross! I also purchased one of the new fox 40 sonik and it seems louder. Maybe it just me.

26 Year Gap Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:09pm

I always check to make sure I don't put it in my mouth upside-down.

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:37pm

I had a coach once make a suggestion that I "blow it out my azz" ;)

representing Wed Dec 16, 2009 02:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chartrusepengui (Post 643030)
I had a coach once make a suggestion that I "blow it out my azz" ;)

Was that followed by a whistle, plus your hands forming a T?

chartrusepengui Wed Dec 16, 2009 04:10pm

a VERY strong whistle!! :D

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:17pm

I've never thought of boiling them. I soak them overnight in hydrogen peroxide a few times a year. Then, while they're still wet, I blow each one "backwards" through all three "exit" holes. Sometimes I get a chuck of something that comes flying out that I don't even want to know what is. But magically my whistle is louder. ;)

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 643013)
I always check to make sure I don't put it in my mouth upside-down.

When I do put it in upside down and blow, it sounds weird to me. But I wonder if it's just because I'm right next to it, or if it actually sounds different from a distance. :confused:

Juulie Downs Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 643286)
Sometimes I get a chuck of something ..;)

Squirrel shaped?

Juulie Downs Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:06am

Rita, check if the mouth part is cracked anywhere. I go through whistles like crazy because I chew on them. THey're fine until they crack. Also do you have a mini instead of a full-size? The mini's really are quieter.