The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Slowing My Whistle Down.... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55925-slowing-my-whistle-down.html)

Chess Ref Tue Dec 15, 2009 02:21pm

Slowing My Whistle Down....

I want a slow whistle.:) I was reading the other thread and there was talk of having a slow whistle. I do an okay job right now at having a slow whistle but I would like to step it up a notch in the mature whistle area.

So anyone have any hints, thoughts, retraining ideas or shortcuts to the perfect slow whistle ?

BktBallRef Tue Dec 15, 2009 02:28pm

I still use a lanyard during the regular season, but working without a lanyard during AAU season helped me tremendously.

It wasn't to showoff or anything like that. I wanted to see if I could slow down and focus instead of blowing the whistle without thinking first. It made me more cognizant of the whistle. I had to think about the whole process of blowing the whistle and then not dropping it, so my concentration was more focused on what I was doing with the whistle.

gordon30307 Tue Dec 15, 2009 03:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 642766)
I want a slow whistle.:) I was reading the other thread and there was talk of having a slow whistle. I do an okay job right now at having a slow whistle but I would like to step it up a notch in the mature whistle area.

So anyone have any hints, thoughts, retraining ideas or shortcuts to the perfect slow whistle ?

I'm working on this as well. I'm trying to see the whole play before I blow the whistle. I know when I've slowed it down and when I've "rushed the call". I'm not where I want to be yet, but I'm working on it. I don't thing there's a short cut you just have to work on it.

Ref_in_Alberta Tue Dec 15, 2009 03:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chess Ref (Post 642766)

Think about taking a deep breath in before you blow the whistle. That extra half second makes a huge difference in slowing the whistle down to see the whole play.

It works for me... :)

j51969 Tue Dec 15, 2009 04:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 642768)
I still use a lanyard during the regular season, but working without a lanyard during AAU season helped me tremendously.

It wasn't to showoff or anything like that. I wanted to see if I could slow down and focus instead of blowing the whistle without thinking first. It made me more cognizant of the whistle. I had to think about the whole process of blowing the whistle and then not dropping it, so my concentration was more focused on what I was doing with the whistle.

I haven't used a lanyard for quite some time. It wasn't for the same reason, but I think that makes a lot of sense. I had a guy grab my lanyard about fifteen years ago and I stopped using one then. Now it just feels weird to have it on. I will say some guys didn't like assigning me games with out using a lanyard, so I did it for those few. They didn't like the way it looked. 99% of the time I don't think anyone will even notice. I think a lot of other officials see this as kind of pretentious, and are the only people who would catch it. Personally I don’t think it is showing off. Now it’s just a comfort thing. Should anything happen to my whistle I have a spare in my pocket, which I assume most people due who use a lanyard.

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 15, 2009 04:04pm

If you really want to slow down, use the whistle you have in your pocket for AP.

FBullock Tue Dec 15, 2009 04:31pm

Front or "BACK" pocket. :)

representing Wed Dec 16, 2009 04:15am

a lot of good advice on slowing your whistle down. I will start trying this for rec games this basketball season, and summer-league games.

I actually forgot my lanyard for a JV tournament this past weekend so I had to do a game with just the whistle. I've only dropped the whistle twice in the two games I've done (once a game), and I did notice that it did help me to stop and think a little. The two times I dropped it involved situation where I had to say something right after the whistle was blown. For example, held ball situation and while blowing the whistle it looked as if the two players were going to go at it if I didn't step in and say something. Had no time to catch the whistle before falling to the ground.

JRutledge Wed Dec 16, 2009 04:17am

The only one I know is "See the entire play." I do not know how all these other things work, but that is the only thing I know works. You do not need to be in a hurry to call a foul or violation.

Peace