The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Advantage/Disadvantage Rebounding (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55911-advantage-disadvantage-rebounding.html)

refnuts Mon Dec 14, 2009 02:12pm

Advantage/Disadvantage Rebounding

After A1 releases a shot, Rebounder B2 is displaced by A2 with a forearm to the back while the ball is in flight.

1)Rebound bounces to the other side of the basket, neither B2 or A2 have a play on the ball. Would you call the foul or allow play to contunue because B2 was not put at a disadvantage by A2?

2)Rebound comes out near A2 and B2, and A2 gets rebound. Obviously you must call the foul on A2, but should you have whiststled the play after the displacement or wait to see what happens as a result of the rebound?

3)Should you call the foul if B2 secures rebound anyway dispite displacement?

bob jenkins Mon Dec 14, 2009 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnuts (Post 642556)
After A1 releases a shot, Rebounder B2 is displaced by A2 with a forearm to the back while the ball is in flight.

1)Rebound bounces to the other side of the basket, neither B2 or A2 have a play on the ball. Would you call the foul or allow play to contunue because B2 was not put at a disadvantage by A2?

2)Rebound comes out near A2 and B2, and A2 gets rebound. Obviously you must call the foul on A2, but should you have whiststled the play after the displacement or wait to see what happens as a result of the rebound?

3)Should you call the foul if B2 secures rebound anyway dispite displacement?

For all the above -- it depends on how "big" the displacement is AND what is common in your area. Here, If B2 goes to the floor, or is pushed more than a few feet, you should (probably) get the foul anyway. If B2 is just moved a step or so, and there's no advantage, let it go (perhaps with a quick word to A2). (In play 2, you won't know if there's an advantage until A2 secures the rebound, so that's when you blow the whistle.)

Adam Mon Dec 14, 2009 02:18pm

This is a judgment call that every official needs to decide on, IMO. I had one the other day where I called the foul as the ball went into the hoop. Displacement was measurable in yards, so it was, in my opinion, one that needed to be called. Typically, if B1 gets the rebound, I'll let it go if the displacement is minimal.

I look for one of two things; "big" displacement or advantage. Either one is enough, IMO, to call the foul. YMMV.

BktBallRef Mon Dec 14, 2009 02:42pm

Agree with above.

1) Big displacement, call the foul. Otherwise, no.

2) Foul, but I wait until B2 rebounds the ball to see the play through.

3) See above.

JRutledge Mon Dec 14, 2009 03:12pm

I do not know what "big displacement" means.

My rule of thumb is anything a player that rebounds was bumped. I consider did they lose the ball? Did they do anything that they would not have done (like fall out of bounds)? Did the player violate their verticality? Were they hit in the head? And I might consider a couple of other things I cannot think of. But if a rebounder comes down under control and maintains control of the ball, I am probably going to not consider any contact a foul.

Peace

bradfordwilkins Mon Dec 14, 2009 03:14pm

The verbiage I've been taught and recite to myself in my head during rebounding is "Possession/consequence" -- That is to say, did the illegal contact cause a consequence (i.e. inability to save a ball going out of bounds, etc) or possession (they player or his/her teammate was able to get to the ball because of the contact). The other area is cleanup if it just is getting so physical that you need to whistle it to stop the rough-housing.

FrankHtown Mon Dec 14, 2009 03:21pm

Depends too on the type of game that is being played. If things are getting chippy, you may want to call it just to let the players know you're not going to tolerate any baloney that may escalate. If the players think the referee isn't protecting them, they may start protecting themselves.