The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hand on Ball is Slapped During Shot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55889-hand-ball-slapped-during-shot.html)

cmcramer Sun Dec 13, 2009 07:40am

Hand on Ball is Slapped During Shot

Could someone please clarify this situation for me?

Defender slaps the hand of the offensive player while the hand is on the ball, during the shooting motion. (ie., Defender 'strips' ball from shooter as shooter raises ball up for a pull-up jumper. Contact is with all hand and ball - no wrist or arm.)

Is this a foul? I was gonna say "no" until I did a search here and found this quotation from a "most misunderstood rules" thread

"Hand is Part of the Ball- the D can always legally contact the O hand if the hand is in contact with the ball. However, it is widely accepted that a foul shall be called on a shot."

Now I'm confused! Thank you!

Jeremy Hohn Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:30am

I think they are trying to differentiate if the offense is on the "motion of the try". The splitting hairs is now, if the offense is on the "gather" (our commissioners word, not mine) when they are getting ready to shoot the basketball, it can be challenging. Me personally, if the ball is below the shoulders, I probably will rule with passing on the contact with the ball.

BillyMac Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:17pm

The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules © 2005 Mythbusters ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcramer (Post 642218)
Found this quotation from a "most misunderstood rules" thread: "Hand is part of the ball, the D can always legally contact the O hand if the hand is in contact with the ball. However, it is widely accepted that a foul shall be called on a shot."

Impostors!

Here's the correct citation form The Most Misunderstood Basketball Rules: It is legal use of hands to accidentally hit the hand of the opponent when it is in contact with the ball. This includes holding, dribbling, passing, or even during a shot attempt. Striking a ball handler or a shooter on that player's hand that is incidental to an attempt to play the ball is not a foul, no matter how loud it sounds or how much it hurts.

Thanks for calling my attention to this impostor list posing as the "most misunderstood rules" list. I'll get the Mythbusters legal department on this first thing Monday morning.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 642252)
I'll get our legal department on this first thing Monday morning.

I thought Johnny Cochran was out of town. :p

grunewar Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 642259)
I thought Johnny Cochran was out of town. :p

Johnny Cochran is beyond out of town.......

BillyMac Sun Dec 13, 2009 05:09pm

Just Like Beethoven ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 642262)
Johnny Cochran is beyond out of town.......

He's decomposing. Kind of like a deposition, but a lot worse.

BktBallRef Sun Dec 13, 2009 05:15pm

Quote:

"Hand is Part of the Ball- the D can always legally contact the O hand if the hand is in contact with the ball. However, it is widely accepted that a foul shall be called on a shot."

Contacting the shooter's hand while it is on the ball is not a foul.

Adam Sun Dec 13, 2009 06:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 642305)
He's decomposing. Kind of like a deposition, but a lot worse.

His condition is stable.

Juulie Downs Sun Dec 13, 2009 06:30pm

Quote:

Could someone please clarify this situation for me?

Defender slaps the hand of the offensive player while the hand is on the ball, during the shooting motion. (ie., Defender 'strips' ball from shooter as shooter raises ball up for a pull-up jumper. Contact is with all hand and ball - no wrist or arm.)

Is this a foul? I was gonna say "no" until I did a search here and found this quotation from a "most misunderstood rules" thread

Now I'm confused! Thank you!

You may be misinterpreting the part that says "it is widely accepted that a foul shall be called on a shot". It might mean that it is widely believed that a foul SHOULD be called, even though actually this contact is legal. In other words, it might be saying that what is widely accepted is actually a myth.