The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Can you just call a team foul if you are not sure who the foul is on? Diebler (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55822-can-you-just-call-team-foul-if-you-not-sure-who-foul-diebler.html)

biggravy Sat Dec 12, 2009 01:41pm

Can you just call a team foul if you are not sure who the foul is on? Diebler

Diebler sighting on ESPN. He grabs a board, no one within 5 feet of him. He falls out of bounds, looks like he was taking it out for a throw in. His mom is pissed. She gets about 3 minutes of TV time. So the question:

Since you know Diebler would never make a mistake like that, can we just call a foul on somebody, anybody?

JRutledge Sat Dec 12, 2009 01:42pm

No, just give all fouls to Evan Turner. ;)

Peace

Mark Padgett Sat Dec 12, 2009 05:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 642030)
No, just give all fouls to Evan Turner. ;)

Peace

Or Tiger Woods. :D

tjones1 Sat Dec 12, 2009 05:39pm

I think this is like if someone throws the ball up and it goes in the other team's basket - credit the closest player with the 2 points and make a note.

By default, I think you have to charge the foul to the closest opponent. :D

Forksref Sat Dec 12, 2009 05:52pm

Our job is to make the game as even as possible. Charge it to a player on the team that is ahead.

Coach of the team that is ahead: "Look at the fouls. We have 8 and they have 3."

Official: "You want me to make the score even, too?"

grunewar Sat Dec 12, 2009 06:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 642081)
Our job is to make the game as even as possible. Charge it to a player on the team that is ahead."

But make sure it's not their Superstar, because that would simply be unfair! ;)

BillyMac Sat Dec 12, 2009 07:25pm

What ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 642078)
I think this is like if someone throws the ball up and it goes in the other team's basket, credit the closest player with the 2 points and make a note.

5-2-3: If a player scores a field goal in the opponent’s basket, it is not credited to a player, but is indicated in a footnote.

tjones1 Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:22pm

I said it should be "like"... because that's what most people think.

I think you took my post a little to seriously, Billy.

Adam Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forksref (Post 642081)
Our job is to make the game as even as possible. Charge it to a player on the team that is ahead.

Coach of the team that is ahead: "Look at the fouls. We have 8 and they have 3."

Official: "You want me to make the score even, too?"

You're on the right track, charge it to the team with fewer fouls, and hit a player who has none; probably the 12th man on the end of the bench.

Welpe Sun Dec 13, 2009 03:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 642128)
You're on the right track, charge it to the team with fewer fouls, and hit a player who has none; probably the 12th man on the end of the bench.

Definitely don't charge it to the guy that has four fouls. :D

BillyMac Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:22am

Called The Mythbusters, Overreacted, Sorry ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 642121)
I said it should be "like"... because that's what most people think. I think you took my post a little to seriously, Billy.

I was a little surprised to hear a common myth from an esteemed member, especially one with so many whistles. But it was a good drill for the Mythbusters. We have to be prepared to fight myths as soon as they start, before they snowball into a three alarm myth.

BillyMac Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:27am

We Did Go Undefeated, Still Have The Trophy In The Attic ...

Quote:

Hey. That was me as a high school freshman, on a freshman team. I probably didn't score more than ten points all season. My official position, as listed in the program, was "Right Bench". Better than playing left bench. You have to have an "arm" to play right bench.

Mark Padgett Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 642233)
My official position, as listed in the program, was "Right Bench".

Sounds more like it was "Left Out". :D

26 Year Gap Sun Dec 13, 2009 05:37pm

Quote:

Which now means the coach has to sit.

Adam Sun Dec 13, 2009 06:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 642317)
Which now means the coach has to sit.

Which make it that much more perfect.