The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   MTD, Jr. and I learned something new last night. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55809-mtd-jr-i-learned-something-new-last-night.html)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Dec 11, 2009 09:43pm

MTD, Jr. and I learned something new last night.

Last night Junior and I officiated a girls' H.S. jr. varsity game together and late in the fourth quarter I called a charging foul on the Home Team's center. She was facing the basket from about fifteen feet from the basket and she dribbled right through the defender.

According to H's HC, his player can't be guilty of a charging foul because she was dribbling the ball when she went right through the defender. :confused:

MTD, Sr.

Welpe Fri Dec 11, 2009 09:48pm

Oh that's a good one. That must be a fundamental right below the one about it being impossible to travel while dribbling.

I had a funny comment from a coach during a middle school game last night after I called a charge on his dribbler. "Ref how can that be a foul? He didn't knock the defender down."

grunewar Fri Dec 11, 2009 09:48pm

Nice!

And for all you newbies out there, this just proves you can learn something new every game.....no matter how many you've done! (sarc) :rolleyes:

Mark Padgett Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:49pm

This thread reminds me of the T-shirt my son used to wear. It showed a guy being loaded into the back of an ambulance on a gurney. Underneath was printed, "NO RECONSTRUCTIVE SURGERY - NO FOUL!"

zm1283 Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:31am

I learned from a coach last week that the opposing coach can't call a timeout after the official reaches 4 on his 5-second throw in count. :confused:

Cobra Sat Dec 12, 2009 02:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 641912)
I learned from a coach last week that the opposing coach can't call a timeout after the official reaches 4 on his 5-second throw in count. :confused:

That used to be true some time ago.

BillyMac Sat Dec 12, 2009 07:08am

A Walk Down Memory Lane ...

Quote:

I learned from a coach last week that the opposing coach can't call a timeout after the official reaches 4 on his 5-second throw in count.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra (Post 641936)
That used to be true some time ago.

The infamous change of status rule. Can't call a timeout when 80% of a count had been reached (throwin, closely guarded, ten seconds).

Stat-Man Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:21pm

Quote:

I didn't think the opposing coach could be granted a timeout once the throw-in begins. :D

Adam Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:41pm

I learned last night, "That's got to be something!"

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 12, 2009 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 641951)
The infamous change of status rule. Can't call a timeout when 80% of a count had been reached (throwin, closely guarded, ten seconds).

Iirc they finally abandoned that rule because it was too confusing to adjust 80% for inflation? :confused:

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 12, 2009 01:28pm

Last night I learned that when a coach screams out, "Call a foul!" he doesn't necessarily mean a T on him. ;)

BillyMac Sat Dec 12, 2009 07:07pm

Whack-A-Mole ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 642024)
Last night I learned that when a coach screams out, "Call a foul!" he doesn't necessarily mean a T on him.

I've been very fortunate over the past few years. Good partners. Good coaches. No technical fouls. Of course, all good things must come to an end. Prep school game today. First six fouls of the second half (NCAA/NFHS hybrid rules) go against the home team. This, by the way, is in a game in which one team reached the double bonus early in the first half, and both teams ended up reaching the double bonus early in the second half. Finally, my partner calls the first foul of the second half against the visitors, and after he reports the foul to the table the home coach exclaims to him, "Finally. Congratulations." Whack. Stupid prep school coaches.

grunewar Sat Dec 12, 2009 07:14pm

Finally......

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 642096)
"Finally. Congratulations." Whack. Stupid prep school coaches.

Welcome back!

I'm sure Mark is proud of you! :p

Anchor Sat Dec 12, 2009 07:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 642024)
Last night I learned that when a coach screams out, "Call a foul!" he doesn't necessarily mean a T on him. ;)

Same guy would whine if you hung him with a new rope.

zm1283 Sun Dec 13, 2009 06:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stat-Man (Post 642010)
I didn't think the opposing coach could be granted a timeout once the throw-in begins. :D

Well, the opposing coach's team was the one that had the ball at its disposal for the throw-in.