The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   First JV Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55806-first-jv-game.html)

bas2456 Fri Dec 11, 2009 06:38pm

First JV Game

Got a late call for a JV game this afternoon. Quite a bit different than freshman ball. I think I did OK, though.

Worked on getting more depth along the end line as L, and it does indeed help.

tjones1 Fri Dec 11, 2009 06:43pm

Afternoon?

When do they play? Right after school around 3:00pm?

bas2456 Fri Dec 11, 2009 06:51pm

Ya the game started at 3:45. It was originally scheduled for tomorrow morning but had to be moved for some reason. Around here they usually play sophomore games before varsity ones.

JRutledge Sat Dec 12, 2009 02:16am

It is an area thing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 641846)
Ya the game started at 3:45. It was originally scheduled for tomorrow morning but had to be moved for some reason. Around here they usually play sophomore games before varsity ones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 641845)
Afternoon?

When do they play? Right after school around 3:00pm?

In the Chicago area they call games right before the varsity game sophomore or prelim games. Games on Saturday morning or on off nights can be what they call the JV team.

Outside the Chicago area, everything right before the varsity game is the JV game. Those schools often do not have as many teams so that is the JV team.

Peace

tjones1 Sat Dec 12, 2009 08:45am

Thanks, Jeff. I just found it interesting.

Certainly, anything that starts around 3:00 in my area is either a holiday tournament or a Saturday afternoon game.

JRutledge Sat Dec 12, 2009 01:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 641969)
Thanks, Jeff. I just found it interesting.

Certainly, anything that starts around 3:00 in my area is either a holiday tournament or a Saturday afternoon game.

That is not common or normal to start a JV game that early. I am sure there was some reason it was played that early (close proximity of the schools, on some kind of Xmas schedule, assessment days). I was just trying to clarify what the games are called. It is just different depending on who is playing. Up here they have a freshman A & B team, as sophomore A & B team and they might all play in the same night with the varsity and sometimes at the same time as the varsity (I have never figured that one out).

Peace

mutantducky Sat Dec 12, 2009 02:07pm

I think JV games are easier than Frosh. Most JV games seem to start earlier as well. At least for me there also seems to be more people at the Frosh games which might be because their games are often after the JV games and people getting back from work.

Adam Sat Dec 12, 2009 02:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 642037)
I think JV games are easier than Frosh. Most JV games seem to start earlier as well. At least for me there also seems to be more people at the Frosh games which might be because their games are often after the JV games and people getting back from work.

This all depends on regions. Here, JV games are far more watched than frosh (called C-squad here) games. When I was in IA, it was the opposite in the metro league. It had more to do with nature of the JV there. Out there, JV was for the upper classmen who probably wouldn't make varsity. The sophomore games had the future varsity players, and therefore more than just parents and siblings watching. The JV was essentially the fourth team.