The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Officials Time out (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55782-officials-time-out.html)

phansen Thu Dec 10, 2009 04:55pm

Officials Time out

A1 rebounds a missed FG attempt by B1. In the process, A1's shoe somehow comes off. Players have cleared out. A1 has complete possession without defensive pressure. Should an officials time out be taken to let the player get his shoe back on? Rules reference either way please.

Adam Thu Dec 10, 2009 04:58pm

Nope. No rule reference here, but the player needs to tie his shoes better.

Scratch85 Thu Dec 10, 2009 05:22pm

I believe injury, eyeglasses and lenses are the only situations for play to be stopped without charging a time-out. Otherwise wait for a dead ball.

5-8-2 Note
5-11 Exception

phansen Thu Dec 10, 2009 05:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 641469)
I believe injury, eyeglasses and lenses are the only situations for play to be stopped without charging a time-out. Otherwise wait for a dead ball.

5-8-2 Note
5-11 Exception

I found 5-8-2d and 2-3 but was looking for something a little more concrete. In the absence of a specific rule, an argument could be made for a safety issue however I concede that may be a stretch.

fiasco Thu Dec 10, 2009 05:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by phansen (Post 641473)
I found 5-8-2d and 2-3 but was looking for something a little more concrete. In the absence of a specific rule, an argument could be made for a safety issue however I concede that may be a stretch.

There is nothing in the rule book that talks about a shoe coming off.

Scratch85 Thu Dec 10, 2009 05:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by phansen (Post 641473)

Just wait until the player trips and injures themselves, then you will be justified in calling an "officials" time-out. :D

Also, I don't think there is such a thing as an "officials" time-out. I believe it is just stopping play. ;)

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 10, 2009 06:09pm

If a shoe comes off, call a toe truck. :p

Scratch85 Thu Dec 10, 2009 06:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 641486)

I'm embarrassed at how hard I laughed at that. :D :o

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 641486)

Way to sock it to 'em

mbyron Fri Dec 11, 2009 07:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 641559)
Way to sock it to 'em

BITS, your puns have left me feeting a bit arch. Ah well, time wounds all heels.

Freddy Fri Dec 11, 2009 07:15am

Quit Joking about It

60 seconds for a moment of silence. A soul was lost.

grunewar Fri Dec 11, 2009 07:28am

Maybe we could use this on coaches......

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”

Jack Handey

Ignats75 Fri Dec 11, 2009 09:52am

GV game monday. Home team is pathetic. The winning JV team on Wednesday would boat race them. HC not happy. 1:30 into the first quarter he calls a Full time out. 3:00 minutes later he calls his second.

About 2:00 later one of his girls comes up to me and says, "Can I have a time out?" :eeek: Sure. Tweet! "Time OUt White. #4. 30 seconds."

Head Coach says"WHAT!!!!!!!! I didn't call a time out!"

"No coach your #4 did."

Turns out #4 wasn't asking for a time out but wanted an Officials time out to tie her shoe. He wanted to argue that I should not have granted it. I askled him, "Coach exactly what did you say to me when I granted your first time out? 'Can I have a time out?' Thats exactly what she said. As I constantly explain to my wife, I'm not a mind reader."

He did smile at that.

BillyMac Fri Dec 11, 2009 07:42pm

Purpose And Intent ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ignats75 (Post 641638)
About 2:00 later one of his girls comes up to me and says, "Can I have a time out?" Sure. Tweet! "Time Out White. #4. 30 seconds." Turns out #4 wasn't asking for a time out but wanted an Officials time out to tie her shoe.

I don't have a rule, or any other citation, but can't we rescind the timeout and just allow her to tie her shoe? I sure hope so. If a player with an untied shoe comes up to me and asks if I can stop the game to allow him to tie his shoe, if his team is holding, or dribbling the ball, I'm probably allowing it. Safety first.

Ignats75 Fri Dec 11, 2009 08:59pm

Not once I reported it to the table.