The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Basketball Quiz (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55735-basketball-quiz.html)

Indianaref Tue Dec 08, 2009 03:19pm

Basketball Quiz

I decided to start another thread on a Question I posed in another thread. Here is the Q in it's original form:

Question # 14-The officials arrive at the game site at 6:00 pm for a game scheduled for 6:30 pm. As they arrive, they see a team 'A' member dunk the ball. RULING? No technical foul. Jurisdiction starts at 6:15 pm for the officials. (15 minutes prior to game time).

True or False?

tjones1 Tue Dec 08, 2009 03:24pm

I would say false. It doesn't start at "game time" or any certain time, i.e. 6:15pm. Officials jurisdiction starts when they arrive on the floor.

stosh Tue Dec 08, 2009 03:28pm

The jurisdiction starts when they arrive on the floor, not at the facility. It sounds like they just walked into the gym in street clothes and had not yet changed into their uniforms, so to me, they had not yet arrived on the floor. 15 minutes is the latest they should arrive on the floor.

SAK Tue Dec 08, 2009 04:14pm

IMO officials do not arrive on the floor until they are dressed. That does not mean that they have to arrive on the floor together due to the nature of some games and the starting time but if the official is not dressed then he is just a guy walking in the gym.

just another ref Tue Dec 08, 2009 04:59pm

Hard to believe, but some of us arrive dressed to officiate. I think jurisdiction starts when the officials arrive on the floor to stay, whatever time that may be.

Adam Tue Dec 08, 2009 05:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by just another ref (Post 640793)
Hard to believe, but some of us arrive dressed to officiate. I think jurisdiction starts when the officials arrive on the floor to stay, whatever time that may be.

LOL

FWIW, I agree. In a lot of gyms, I don't see the gym until I'm taking jurisdiction. Others, I walk through on my way to the changing room. Let me put it this way, I don't take authority until I walk to the gym from the officials' sanctuary room. I can't imagine working a HS game without such a room.

That said, if I walk onto the court 17 minutes prior to the game, that's when my jurisdiction starts. Time is irrelevant in this case. If a player dunks with 14 minutes left and we haven't entered the court yet, well, lucky him.

constable Tue Dec 08, 2009 06:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 640803)
LOL

FWIW, I agree. In a lot of gyms, I don't see the gym until I'm taking jurisdiction. Others, I walk through on my way to the changing room. Let me put it this way, I don't take authority until I walk to the gym from the officials' sanctuary room. I can't imagine working a HS game without such a room.

That said, if I walk onto the court 17 minutes prior to the game, that's when my jurisdiction starts. Time is irrelevant in this case. If a player dunks with 14 minutes left and we haven't entered the court yet, well, lucky him.

Unfortunately it's a fact of life for many officials. I work in a city of over half a million people and very few schools have rooms for officials. For big tournaments sometimes they set aside a room for us, other times you're on your own.

Adam Tue Dec 08, 2009 06:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 640807)
Unfortunately it's a fact of life for many officials. I work in a city of over half a million people and very few schools have rooms for officials. For big tournaments sometimes they set aside a room for us, other times you're on your own.

I know some areas are like this, and middle school games tend to be like this as well in my area. During HS season, however, we always have a room, usually a coach's office, to dress in. Showing up to the school in uniform is considered unprofessional here.

My city is the same size as yours.

Mark Padgett Tue Dec 08, 2009 06:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by constable (Post 640807)
I work in a city of over half a million people...

Mississauga has over half a million people!!! I didn't know that. :eek:

KJUmp Tue Dec 08, 2009 07:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 640732)
I decided to start another thread on a Question I posed in another thread. Here is the Q in it's original form:

Question # 14-The officials arrive at the game site at 6:00 pm for a game scheduled for 6:30 pm. As they arrive, they see a team 'A' member dunk the ball. RULING? No technical foul. Jurisdiction starts at 6:15 pm for the officials. (15 minutes prior to game time).

True or False?

TRUE. No technical
NFHS 2.2 Art.3 The officials' jurisdiction, prior to the game, begins when they arrive on the floor. The officials arrival on the floor shall be at least 15 minutes before the scheduled starting time of the game.

Being as how 2.1 Art.1 tells us what the officials uniform shall be...if you and partner arrive (late) say 6:20 for a 6:30 and observe the same sitch
even though you arrive "on the floor" within the 15 min. jurisdiction...you're in street clothes, not your uniform, hence you have yet to take the floor as an official.

StripesOhio Tue Dec 08, 2009 08:59pm

First, how are you arriving to a game only 30 minutes ahead of time?

Second, in the rulebook stating "arrive on the floor" is during pregame to begin duties...not as you walk into the building. (as previously mentioned)