The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Delay of Game Warning (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55714-delay-game-warning.html)

Indianaref Mon Dec 07, 2009 02:42pm

Delay of Game Warning

Q. A team may be issued a delay-of-game warning following a time-out for water on the floor. T or F

I say false because 4-47-4 does not say anything about "may". I believe that you have no option, NFHS wants an immediate warning issued or a T if that team had already been issued a previous delay-of-game warning. What say you.

just another ref Mon Dec 07, 2009 02:47pm

True. We have an option on every call, if you want to look at it that way.

Adam Mon Dec 07, 2009 02:49pm

I believe this is what's referred to as "reading too much into the question." The answer is true, because this is one of the four situations for which the officials are allowed to issue a DOG warning.

Indianaref Mon Dec 07, 2009 02:52pm

Thanks, I'm glad I asked.

Adam Mon Dec 07, 2009 02:55pm

BTW, we all have this tendency.

fullor30 Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 640390)
I believe this is what's referred to as "reading too much into the question." The answer is true, because this is one of the four situations for which the officials are allowed to issue a DOG warning.

Beat me to it...........

Indianaref Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 640402)
Beat me to it...........

By 23 minutes. Trying to up your post totals.:)

Back In The Saddle Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:36pm

I stayed after my game to watch the GV the other night. Visiting team breaks the huddle after a time out where they stood out on the court and had water. I look over to see one of the subs sitting on the floor wearing sweat pants. She appeared to be "mopping up" some water that spilled. IMHO this would have been a poor time for a DOG warning, since the team was proactively policing themselves. Regardless, the R "may" have issued one, and would have been correct to do so.

"May" v. "shall"

Indianaref Mon Dec 07, 2009 03:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 640411)
I stayed after my game to watch the GV the other night. Visiting team breaks the huddle after a time out where they stood out on the court and had water. I look over to see one of the subs sitting on the floor wearing sweat pants. She appeared to be "mopping up" some water that spilled. IMHO this would have been a poor time for a DOG warning, since the team was proactively policing themselves. Regardless, the R "may" have issued one, and would have been correct to do so.

"May" v. "shall"

Absolutely, in real world, I agree, however, this is a test Q where anything is possible. Had a Q at our last meeting that goes like this: The officials arrive at the game about 30 minutes before tip off. The officials enter the gym to go their dressing room where they notice A1 dunking the ball. Does the official issue a T to team A for A1 pre-game dunk? The test answer is yes. In the real world, I would tell the AD to let team A know were coming out in 15 minutes and they better knock it off.

Adam Mon Dec 07, 2009 04:31pm

1. The officials jurisdiction begins when they arrive on the floor. When I'm on my way to the dressing room, the gym is just a big hallway and I won't see any dunking. My jurisdiction hasn't started yet. Who wrote this question?

2. Around here, these officials are late; assuming this question was written for a varsity game.

3. I wouldn't say anything to anyone. The players know what we look like.

M&M Guy Mon Dec 07, 2009 04:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 640422)
Absolutely, in real world, I agree, however, this is a test Q where anything is possible. Had a Q at our last meeting that goes like this: The officials arrive at the game about 30 minutes before tip off. The officials enter the gym to go their dressing room where they notice A1 dunking the ball. Does the official issue a T to team A for A1 pre-game dunk? The test answer is yes. In the real world, I would tell the AD to let team A know were coming out in 15 minutes and they better knock it off.

What quiz was this? 2-2-2 says, "The officials' jurisdiction, prior to the game, begins when they arrive on the floor." I would never count us walking in, with our coats on, carrying our bags, on the way to the dressing room, as "arrived on the floor".