The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Sleeves on elbows & med alert bracelets

Help me out: sleeves on elbows need a dr note & med alert bracelets are treated as accepted jewelry that needs to be taped down on a player. They would never have a med alert bracelet to wear a sleeve on their elbow.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Probably Couldn't Read The Writing Anyway ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2u4now View Post
Sleeves on elbows need a dr note.
If a player was warming up with a compression sleeve on, and if I asked him if he was wearing it for a medical reason, and if he answered in the affirmative, I would accept that and play basketball.

I believe that, according to rule, we only require a doctor's note for an unconscious player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 06, 2009 at 08:56pm.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Medical Alert Bracelet Wristband ???

Here's a post I made last season:

Home team is wearing white jerseys. During the third period, I notice that a home team player is wearing a red wristband. During a dead ball, clock stopped situation, I tell him that he can't play with the red wristband on. He tells me it's a special wristband to cover his medical alert bracelet, and sure enough, he shows me his bracelet, and he shows me the red wristband with a white medical alert logo on it. Using intent and purpose, I decided that if it was taped, as stated by rule, the tape could have been any color, and since this was obviously a special medical alert bracelet wristband, I let him continue to play. Has anyone else seen these special red medical alert bracelet wristbands, which, by the way, I think are a good idea and should be allowed by the NFHS?

Anybody have a problem with me allowing the young man to continue to play with this equipment?

http://stores.vitalids.com/-strse-2/...nds/Detail.bok

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 06, 2009 at 08:52pm.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 08:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

The rule says it is to be assumed that the compression sleeves are for medical purposes. I do not know why officials insist on finding out if that is the actual reason. This is not football where we need documentation for certain items. I do not care to know, I just know it is on and move on.

Peace
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The rule says it is to be assumed that the compression sleeves are for medical purposes. I do not know why officials insist on finding out if that is the actual reason. This is not football where we need documentation for certain items. I do not care to know, I just know it is on and move on.

Agreed. Compressions sleeves can be worn for medical reasons. If he's wearing it, it's for medical reasons.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 09:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Answer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Compressions sleeves can be worn for medical reasons. If he's wearing it, it's for medical reasons.
You mean they can't wear one because they want to look like Allen Iverson? That certainly sounds like a good reason to me.

Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 09:21pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You mean they can't wear one because they want to look like Allen Iverson? That certainly sounds like a good reason to me.
And in my experience, the main reason kids try to wear it.
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 09:22pm
#thereferee99

Remember now..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... a lot of kids today don't even know who Allen Iverson is/was/is!

Now, they all want to wear that thing monstrosity that Dwight Howard wears!

Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

3.5 Player equipment

Quote:

Peace
The referee must rule on the legality of any piece of equipment which is worn to protect an injury. Protective equipment must be individually inspected and approved using the criteria outlined. NFHS Casebook page 22
Old Sun Dec 06, 2009, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Help me out: sleeves on elbows need a dr note & med alert bracelets are treated as accepted jewelry that needs to be taped down on a player. They would never have a med alert bracelet to wear a sleeve on their elbow.
Asked and answered many moons ago.

NEW 3-5-2d
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 01:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The referee must rule on the legality of any piece of equipment which is worn to protect an injury. Protective equipment must be individually inspected and approved using the criteria outlined. NFHS Casebook page 22
And there is nothing in the rule that says we must ask or we must get verification for such item that it is actually being used for medical purposes. And unlike football, we do not need a note that there is a case or brace is being used. If you want to do that go right ahead, that is not what the rule says. And my state made this very clear to us to just assume compression sleeves were that way and not to go around asking or verifying other than what we see during the warm-up and what we might see as players enter the game.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Mon Dec 07, 2009 at 02:53am.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
From the other thread to which I previously posted a link:

This was an editorial change…no need for any kind of documentation….from a doctor or otherwise. We can make certain assumptions about what is being worn…knee sleeve, brace, etc. are usually worn for medical purposes. If there is a doubt, all the official has to do is ask the student-athlete, coach, trainer, anyone….”is that being worn for medical purposes?” If the answer is yes, then it’s fine. Vast majority of items will comply. No need to over-think or over-officiate this. If anything was required, medical documentation or a doctor’s note, it would have been stated that way.

Mary Struckhoff
Assistant Director
Basketball & Softball Rules Editor
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 03:23am
Official Forum Member

So when six kids from the same team come on the court for warm ups wearing compression sleeves our only responsibility is to ask each if it medically necessary or a blanket question to the coach and if the answer is yes we move on.
This is not made up. I actually had this the other night.
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And there is nothing in the rule that says we must ask or we must get verification for such item that it is actually being used for medical purposes.
I thought that in IL we were supposed to ask if it was being worn for medical reasons? (and accept the answer without asking for documentation).
Old Mon Dec 07, 2009, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I thought that in IL we were supposed to ask if it was being worn for medical reasons? (and accept the answer without asking for documentation).
That is how it is in Delaware. However, at the State Interpretation Meeting, the State reps told the coaches that for any equipment being worn for medical reasons, a letter describing the equipment and the reason for wearing and naming the player who will be wearing the equipment must be submitted for approval to the State. As for the game officials, all we are required to do is verify that the equipment is being worn for medical reasons with the head coach. The same process is in place for religious apparel. It is kind of silly that they are not required to produce the approval letter from the State. However, and even sillier, if the other team questions the legality of the equipment, the head coach can request to see the approval letter prior to allowing the player to participate. Thankfully, I've never encountered that situation!