The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump-Ball Alignments (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55658-jump-ball-alignments.html)

JPaco54 Fri Dec 04, 2009 02:53pm

Jump-Ball Alignments

I have read 6.3 - Jump-Ball Administration - I have searched the Forum past posts and I am confused a little in the do and don'ts of non-jumpers. I have seen officials not allow players to be shoulder to shoulder, they allow an opponent in between, will not allow an opponent to have one leg extended behind another players or line up behind one another, etc etc. I have not been able to find any rules references that allows or prohibits any of this. I need some guidance here. Thanks in advance!

Adam Fri Dec 04, 2009 03:10pm

Approach it with the following in mind:

Sometimes officials inflict their own misconceptions on the game.

Exhibit A: the officials who move all non-shooters behind the division line during Technical foul free throws.
Exhibit B: the officials who tell the players along the lane on a free throw to keep their hands within their spaces.
Exhibit C: the officials who announce "wait til it hits the rim" before bouncing the ball to the free throw shooter.
Exhibit D: the officials who make the traveling signal on a throwin spot violation.

Back In The Saddle Fri Dec 04, 2009 03:43pm

First thing to ask is, "What is a position on/around the jump circle?" They are like free throw lane spaces. They are not marked, but are 36"x36". If players can be shoulder to shoulder on the free throw lane, why can't they be shoulder to shoulder around the jump circle? The positions are the exact same size.

ART. 3 . . . Teammates may not occupy adjacent positions around the center restraining circle if an opponent indicates a desire for one of these positions before the referee is ready to toss the ball.

So if two Team A players are side-by-side and a Team B player wants between them, we are required to ensure the Team B player is allowed between them. The same logic applies to rebounders along the lane on a free throw, although the free throw rules are much more specific about this.

ART. 5 . . . Until the tossed ball is touched by one or both jumpers, nonjumpers shall not:
b. Take a position in any occupied space.

A non-jumper who occupies a position on/around the circle (is positioned within 3 feet of the circle) cannot have a leg in another jumper's position. They must remain in their own position. Again, think about a free throw here. We do not allow rebounders along the lane to overlap into an opponent's lane space.

JPaco54 Fri Dec 04, 2009 06:08pm

Got it thanks - now when I read the rules section it is clearer. Thanks!

BillyMac Fri Dec 04, 2009 09:11pm

Would Somebody Please Help Me Down From My Soapbox ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPaco54 (Post 639707)
Jump-Ball Administration: I need some guidance here.

Here's some guidance: Flip a coin.

Back In The Saddle Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 639801)
Here's some guidance: Flip a coin.

Go west, young man. Like Iowa.

Adam Sat Dec 05, 2009 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 639823)
Go west, young man. Like Iowa.

Not any more. M&M needs to post his Windmill pic.

M&M Guy Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 639974)
Not any more. M&M needs to post his Windmill pic.

I don't want to have to start attending Billy's 12-step program on not posting pics.