The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball through basket from below (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55628-ball-through-basket-below.html)

slow whistle Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:35am

Ball through basket from below

Last night GV game, girl under basket shoots and the ball pushes the net up into the basket ring, but the ball never actually passes through the net or the ring. Crew has no call. 9.4.4. states that a player shall not cause the ball to pass through the basket from below which to me means all the way through the basket including the ring, is this the correct interpretation? What if the ball goes up through the net and passes halfway through the ring but does not rise entirely above the ring level?

Indianaref Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 639115)
What if the ball goes up through the net and passes halfway through the ring but does not rise entirely above the ring level?

If you were to call a violation, I would not have a problem with it. On the other hand if you just played on, I would not have a problem with it.

jdmara Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:27am

This have been debated previously and I don't believe there was a meeting of the minds. Some believe that if it passes halfway through they would call it, others believe that if it passes entirely, etc... I believe the rules give you latitude to call what you please on this subject

-Josh

slow whistle Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 639123)
I believe the rules give you latitude to call what you please on this subject

-Josh

Hate that!:)

jdmara Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 639127)
Hate that!:)

Rules can't cover every possible scenario all the time ;)

-Josh

jdw3018 Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:44am

+1.

Personally, I'm calling this only when I'm certain it's a violation. And I'm only certain if it passes entirely through.

fullor30 Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:00pm

Ball enters net from below caused by A1 but becomes entangled in net and comes to rest (A).....not quite all the way through (B).....all the way through sitting on or near rim entangled by net. I know, highly improbable.

In B, I might go AP as netting caused tangled 'lodged' ball. A could be take your choice.........more likely an AP as you have time to digest the call.

bob jenkins Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 639115)
through the basket

That's the key phrase. What's the definition of "basket?" (and, I admit it's slightly more difficult to find since they moved it from rule 4).

Back In The Saddle Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:45pm

I'm not sure how there could be any difference of opinion on this.

"A player shall not travel with the ball, as in 4-44, intentionally kick it, as in 4-29, strike it with the fist or cause it to enter and pass through the basket from below."

What does it mean for one object to pass through another? Does "pass through" mean the same as "enter"? Or does it indicate something more?

To me, the phrase "pass through the basket" indicates that it does more than just enter the basket, it enters and then keeps on going until it emerges out the top. OTOH, if the ball only enters the basket, but does not also pass through, then you haven't met both conditions. Thus, no violation.

BillyMac Wed Dec 02, 2009 07:34pm

Ten Second Count And International Date Line Situations

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow whistle (Post 639127)
Hate that!

I agree. I would prefer that the rules give me longitude.