The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Snaqs has no monopoly on interesting gamess

Had a 1A (smallest size) girls JV/V double header tonight.

Like many very small schools, the home school fields both a JV and Varsity team. But state requirements don't allow the teams to both consist of the same players. So one girl sits out of the JV game and plays just the V game, so that the two teams are not the same.

When we arrived, we were informed that the visiting team had not arrived yet. I foolishly assumed they'd let us know when they arrived. Nope. I poked my door out the door a few minutes later to find the visiting team warming up and 14 minutes on the clock.

I messed up the new FT mechanic for the first time, backing out table side as L on one FT.

Called a FT violation for a defender being below the FTLE outside the 3PL. I haven't called one of those for years. I'd warned her during a FT a few minutes earlier. I guess she didn't get what I was saying.

The possession arrow was on the blink. Literally. Depending on how the timer wiggled the power cord it would blink on, then off. Mostly off. Got to keep the arrow in my head for two games.

The lights went out at 4:16 left in the 3rd quarter of the varsity game. It took about 15 minutes to get them back on.

As the lights started to come back on, the home girls were bored I guess and started chanting and cheering and dancing to entertain the crowd. Or maybe just to entertain themselves. HC turns to me and says, "I wish they'd put that much energy into playing."

The principal brought us dinner between games. Navajo tacos. Yummy.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like a night to remember BITS
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

The night the lights went out in Eureka!
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 07:33am
Official Forum Member

Navajo tacos? Are they made with 100% Real™ Navajos?

No really, wha dat?
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 08:14am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
I messed up the new FT mechanic for the first time, backing out table side as L on one FT.
I have not yet mastered (100% of the time) the new mechanic where the T chops the clock (along with the L) for an inbound along the end-line in the front court.

I know it, I emphasize it in pre-game, and still miss it sometimes. Frustrating!
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 08:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I have not yet mastered (100% of the time) the new mechanic where the T chops the clock (along with the L) for an inbound along the end-line in the front court.

I know it, I emphasize it in pre-game, and still miss it sometimes. Frustrating!
Don't worry. As Jim Evans says, "It takes 30 days to make a habit, and 30 days to break a habit."

You'll have it by January.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post

I am not sure if you have to do this in 2 person games, but I have. I reason that if it's good enough for 3 person it must be good for 2.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I poked my door out the door a few minutes later
That's got to hurt!
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The lights went out at 4:16 left in the 3rd quarter of the varsity game. It took about 15 minutes to get them back on.

Had JUCO Womens game last season. Visiting team's coach was someone I knew from some clinics. He asked to talk to me after half. Said that the book had his best player with 4 fouls, and he knew that she only had three. He knew another player had 3, but only 4 in book. Having no direct knowledge, and after talking with partner I told him we could make no changes. He was understanding but wanted to vent. Anyway, we start and about 5:00 minutes into the 2nd half the lights go out. Everything! Not even emergency lights were on at this point. During the first 5 minutes his team had gone on a 20+ - 0 run.

Anyway - he is still mad about the fouls, jumps up and starts yelling about all sorts of things from locker room facilities, to the foul situation to the lights going out stopping him momentum. Coaches and my partners and I are on court trying to sort this out as he is having his tirade. MY partner finally says, "Coach - the lights are your fault." Coach asks what the H--- he means. Partner says, "Well, you're the one shooting the light out in this game." SILENCE (for about 5 seconds) then huge laughter by all of us. Lights on 40 minutes later. Gave a couple minutes to both teams to warm-up again and finished game. Coach all smiles after that.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
"It takes 30 days to make a habit, and 30 days seconds to break a good habit, 30 years to break a bad one."
Quote adjusted for reality
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
That's got to hurt!
You have no idea!
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Navajo tacos? Are they made with 100% Real™ Navajos?

No really, wha dat?
Well, I wasn't about to ask what the meat in the chili was...

Navajo taco=scone covered in chili, lettuce, tomato, onion and a bit of sour cream. Probably has nothing to do with Navajos.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
So...they're all under 4'10" or what?
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Navajo taco=scone covered in chili, lettuce, tomato, onion and a bit of sour cream. Probably has nothing to do with Navajos.
Well, I'm no expert, but I sincerely doubt the Navajo invented the scone.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2009, 02:31pm
9 times

Quote:
Well, I wasn't about to ask what the meat in the chili was...

Very close Ray. Lose the scone, insert Navajo Fry Bread (Not made from Fried Navajos ). They are delicious and remind me of my childhood in New Mexico.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019