The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Technical Foul - shooter (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55590-technical-foul-shooter.html)

lmeadski Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:44am

Technical Foul - shooter

My apologies if this has been recently covered.

Team B is assessed a technical foul. Team A brings in A1 to shoot the technicals. Must he/she remain in the game when the ball is put in play, or, can he/she check right back out after shooting?

Thanks.

bob jenkins Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmeadski (Post 638670)
My apologies if this has been recently covered.

Team B is assessed a technical foul. Team A brings in A1 to shoot the technicals. Must he/she remain in the game when the ball is put in play, or, can he/she check right back out after shooting?

Thanks.

There are no "special" substitution rules regarding a T. So, can a player who enters the game leave before the clock has started?

Raymond Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11am

Just remember, there are no rules stipulating a player must stay in the game, but there are rules stipulating players must remain out of the game.

Adam Mon Nov 30, 2009 01:18pm

So much for the Socratic method, Bob.

Juulie Downs Mon Nov 30, 2009 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 638700)
So much for the Socratic method, Bob.

I thought the Socratic method went out with "Monty python and the Holy Grail". That "burn the witch" scene shot the whole Socratic thought process all to heck!

Adam Mon Nov 30, 2009 02:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 638711)
I thought the Socratic method went out with "Monty python and the Holy Grail". That "burn the witch" scene shot the whole Socratic thought process all to heck!

One of the funniest comic bits, ever. Right up there with "Who's on first?"

Vinski Mon Nov 30, 2009 05:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 638671)
There are no "special" substitution rules regarding a T. So, can a player who enters the game leave before the clock has started?

Yes.

To add to this a bit...
Can the player that the sub came in for to shoot the T, come back in after the free-throws are completed but before the ball is throw-in? In other words before a tick has come off the clock?
If there are no special substitution rules during a T, then I say no.

Adam Mon Nov 30, 2009 05:30pm

You are correct.

tjones1 Mon Nov 30, 2009 05:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinski (Post 638758)
Yes.

To add to this a bit...
Can the player that the sub came in for to shoot the T, come back in after the free-throws are completed but before the ball is throw-in? In other words before a tick has come off the clock?
If there are no special substitution rules during a T, then I say no.

I think you answered your own question.

As BillyMac has taught us: don't have to play a tick, must sit a tick.

You are correct. Time must come off the clock before the player may re-enter.

BillyMac Mon Nov 30, 2009 08:51pm

Will Probably Never Happen ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 638761)
Must sit a tick.

...with the rare exception for teams with less than five players due to an injury.

Adam Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 638791)
...with the rare exception for teams with less than five players due to an injury.

....or DQ.

BillyMac Tue Dec 01, 2009 09:27pm

Any Type Of Citation Would Help ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 638898)
....or DQ.

Interesting. Are you sure (he asked politely)?

Adam Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 639034)
Interesting. Are you sure (he asked politely)?

Since the ruling case/interp on this works on the premise that it's more important to have five on the court than to make a player sit until the clock runs, I see no reason not to apply it to a DQ situation as well.

BillyMac Wed Dec 02, 2009 07:59am

Thanks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 639051)
Since the ruling case/interp on this works on the premise that it's more important to have five on the court than to make a player sit until the clock runs, I see no reason not to apply it to a DQ situation as well.

I had heard, I believe on this Forum, an explanation similar to yours, but it was limited to an injured player. It seems like a rational extrapolation of what I previously heard, but, I would still like to see some type of citation, for BOTH the injury scenario, and the disqualified scenario.