The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Two Man Mechanics (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55506-two-man-mechanics.html)

rgncjn Sun Nov 22, 2009 06:51pm

Two Man Mechanics

I was just called and asked to give a presentation at our associate meeting tomorrow night on the topic of two-official mechanics. I have been out of two-official mechanics for a while, and was looking for some advice on what I should present to the association.

I am thinking along the mechanics changes from this year, and last year. In addition, and strange plays some of you may have encountered. Please post your thoughts or items that would be of interest to present tomorrow night. Thanks.

Freddy Sun Nov 22, 2009 06:57pm

2 Man Trail -- Don't Give Up Your Line

Happened the other night. Partner at T, upon change of possession, would turn, put his head down, and sprint to the new lead position. When an OB violation occurred behind him, I, from across the court, had to call it and guess at what the proper call was:o. So, maybe mention that one thing: don't turn your head and, in so doing, give up you line in transition. Is that the kinda stuff you're looking for?

zm1283 Sun Nov 22, 2009 07:02pm

As someone who works 2-man quite a bit, there are a few things that come up from time to time:

- Line responsibility, especially when the ball goes OOB that the Lead is responsible for up by the division line

- 3-point field goal mechanics

- Double whistles on violations/fouls

- Timeout mechanics

- Switching on fouls/New free throw mechanic this year

- Off ball coverage/PCAs

- Responsibilities during free throws. It seems like a lot of guys don't know who they're supposed to be watching.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

Back In The Saddle Mon Nov 23, 2009 01:50am

PCAs and secondary coverage. If the lead is covering a play at the three point line, T needs to cover L's post. If the L is up high in his area, the L needs to extend out into the T's 3 point area.

How will you handle the "trouble area"? Will you transition right at the FTLE? Or a little lower? How will you know you have passed the ball to your partner? Eyes? Body movement? Count?

The L going ball-side. Who watches the L's sideline? Is the L going to take the ball, or just the post?

Will the L take his entire sideline? Or will T take the sideline above FTLE?

Throw-in coverage on the L's sideline above FTLE. Will the T rotate over and handle the throw-in? Or will the L force a switch to remain on his sideline?

Watching players. In 2 person, much more than in 3 person, the off official has responsibility to watch all the players while his partner reports, or any other time his partner is busy with something.

Transition coverage in 2 person is, IMHO, a free-for-all at the best of times, and often a near complete mess. As T you need to remain no farther from the ball than the next nearest vertical 1/3 of the floor, which may sometimes mean being on the L's side of the floor. In my game, T has primary responsibility for all lines in backcourt, even the L's sideline. L has 4-6 players of his own to watch in transition, he has primary responsibility for all off-ball coverage, and needs to watch how the post players set up.