The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   A first (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55475-first.html)

fullor30 Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:54pm

A first

Did a girls Varsity/soph DH yesterday on the 'Goldcoast' of Chicago, great neighborhood. I pull up to school and am looking for parking. I was told to find parking on the street. Most lots were 15 to 20 bucks. After driving around for almost an hour I found one on the street about 4 city blocks away.

I remembered Bob Jenkins line "give yourself enough time, if you're late, you're not." It certainly applied yesterday as I was there plenty early yet was cutting it close for Soph game. Made it easier that partner could care less about any sort of pregame.

Welpe Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:56pm

The joy of the big city I suppose. Did the school not have any parking lots or were they not available to officials?

Da Official Thu Nov 19, 2009 05:07pm

Wow...I never thought about that scenario! I guess I'm lucky being here in the great state of Texas with plenty of land, new state of the art schools with stadium seating and 8 sided scoreboards above the floor...(yes I'm talking High School).:cool:

Zoochy Thu Nov 19, 2009 05:58pm

I am thankful that I have been delegated to lower level girls games. 1) Lower level games start early, before people arrive. 2) Not many people show up for the lower level girls games.

BillyMac Thu Nov 19, 2009 07:26pm

The Lone Star State ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Da Official (Post 637183)
I'm lucky being here in the great state of Texas with plenty of land.

I heard that they're going to split Alaska into two states, just to get Texans upset. That would make Texas the third largest state, moving you guys down a notch.

JugglingReferee Thu Nov 19, 2009 09:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 637161)
Did a girls Varsity/soph DH yesterday on the 'Goldcoast' of Chicago, great neighborhood. I pull up to school and am looking for parking. I was told to find parking on the street. Most lots were 15 to 20 bucks. After driving around for almost an hour I found one on the street about 4 city blocks away.

I remembered Bob Jenkins line "give yourself enough time, if you're late, you're not." It certainly applied yesterday as I was there plenty early yet was cutting it close for Soph game. Made it easier that partner could care less about any sort of pregame.

Officials paying for parking? Nonsense!

I've had a few schools try to get me to pay for parking.

Adam Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 637217)
Officials paying for parking? Nonsense!

I've had a few schools try to get me to pay for parking.

My thoughts exactly. No way I'm going to pay for parking. No way I'm going to walk two blocks to officiate a game.

BillyMac Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:43pm

Remember Joe Camel ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 637224)
No way I'm going to walk two blocks to officiate a game.

But would you, "walk a mile for a Camel"?

fullor30 Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 637163)
The joy of the big city I suppose. Did the school not have any parking lots or were they not available to officials?

I have been by the school a thousand times and just assumed they had a small lot which they don't. My partner had been there before and arrived early, requesting a teacher's spot after they left which he got.

shavano Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:07pm

http://i47.tinypic.com/xd5x6o.jpg

fullor30 Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 637224)
My thoughts exactly. No way I'm going to pay for parking. No way I'm going to walk two blocks to officiate a game.

I really love Chicago and miss not getting to city as often as I would like to. I didn't mind the walk as the weather has been mild. That said, middle of January and I've got a beef with the school.