The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Alternating Possession Arrow. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55474-alternating-possession-arrow.html)

Jerry Blum Thu Nov 19, 2009 02:33pm

Alternating Possession Arrow.

This is a situation that I have been unable to find the correct solution for. As far as alternating possession throw-ins go, the arrow gets reversed when the throw-in ends or if A commits a violation. If there is a foul prior to the throw-in ending the arrow is not reversed and A would still get the next alternating possession throw-in.

My question is what happens if the ball is kicked by B before touching anyone legally in bounds? Because 4-42 art.5 states that a throwin ends in three different ways:
  1. The passed ball touches or is legally touched by another player inbounds.
  2. The passed ball touches or is touched by another player out of bounds, except as in 7-5-7. End line throwin following a goal or awarded goal.
  3. The throw-in team commits a throw-in violation.

The only thing in that that might cause me to think the violation technically occurs after the throw-in ends is that it says the "passed ball touches or legally touches" in the first list item.

Please let me know how you guys would handle this situation.

mbyron Thu Nov 19, 2009 02:40pm

I would handle it according to 4.42.5, which seems to be your exact case.

jritchie Thu Nov 19, 2009 02:41pm

If Team B kicks the ball which is a violation, now Team A gets the ball out of bounds from the violation, not the Possesion Arrow so the P.A. is not switched.

Adam Thu Nov 19, 2009 02:58pm

Grrrr.

Jerry Blum Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 637144)

So are you saying that option 1 where the ball touches or is legally touched in bounds is the situation that covers this? Violation option only covers the throw-in team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jritchie (Post 637145)
If Team B kicks the ball which is a violation, now Team A gets the ball out of bounds from the violation, not the Possesion Arrow so the P.A. is not switched.

Do you have a rule reference that supports not switching the possession arrow if B commits a kicking violation? Or a specific case from the case book?

Adam Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Blum (Post 637151)
Do you have a rule reference that supports not switching the possession arrow if B commits a kicking violation? Or a specific case from the case book?

I don't have to like it, but there's a case play for this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 637144)

This would also apply if the B commits a different violation during the throwin, such as punching the ball, stepping OOB, or excessively swinging elbows.

zm1283 Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:30pm

Quote:

So are you saying that option 1 where the ball touches or is legally touched in bounds is the situation that covers this? Violation option only covers the throw-in team.

The violation for kicking the ball happens before the throw-in ends.

9-4's penalty says that the ball is dead when the violation occurs and awarded to the opponents for a throw-in at the designated spot nearest the violation.

It's no longer an AP throw-in following the violation.

bbcof83 Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:32pm

Quote:

As mbyron said the case book covers it specifically.

Adam Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:33pm

The key here is that NFHS has determined the arrow entitles a team to a complete throwin, not just the start of a throwin. This is why it matters when the throwin ends.

And I think it's an unfortunate loophole that while A will have used their arrow if they commit a throwin violation, they retain it if they commit a foul.

BktBallRef Thu Nov 19, 2009 03:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Blum (Post 637142)
My question is what happens if the ball is kicked by B before touching anyone legally in bounds? Because 4-42 art.5 states that a throwin ends in three different ways:
  2. The passed ball touches or is touched by another player out of bounds, except as in 7-5-7. End line throwin following a goal or awarded goal.

Team A gets the ball for an AP throw-in.
B1 kicks the throw-in pass.
A kick is not a legal touch, therefore the throw-in did not legally end.
Since the throw-in did not legally end, the arrow is not changed.
Team A now gets the ball for a throw-in because of the kick.

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2009 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Blum (Post 637142)
This is a situation that I have been unable to find the correct solution for. As far as alternating possession throw-ins go, the arrow gets reversed when the throw-in ends or if A commits a violation. If there is a foul prior to the throw-in ending the arrow is not reversed and A would still get the next alternating possession throw-in.

The only thing in that that might cause me to think the violation technically occurs after the throw-in ends is that it says the "passed ball touches or legally touches" in the first list item.

Please let me know how you guys would handle this situation.

Touches = passive

Legally touches = active

mbyron Thu Nov 19, 2009 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 637158)
[/LIST]Team A gets the ball for an AP throw-in.
B1 kicks the throw-in pass.
A kick is not a legal touch, therefore the throw-in did not legally end.
Since the throw-in did not legally end, the arrow is not changed.
Team A now gets the ball for a throw-in because of the kick.

Luckily, that's exactly what 4.42.5 says! ;)

Adam Thu Nov 19, 2009 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 637170)
<strike>Touches</strike> Is touched by = passive

Legally touches = active

Is that what you meant?

Adam Thu Nov 19, 2009 04:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 637171)
Luckily, that's exactly what 4.42.5 says! ;)

Wow, BktBallRef really dodged a bullet there.

Raymond Thu Nov 19, 2009 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 637170)
Touches = passive

Legally touches = active

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 637172)
Is that what you meant?

Passive as in the ball touches a player inadvertently or accidentally, so to speak. Active as in the player making a play or doing an action that leads to him touching the ball.

I'm using it as a guide as to why "kicking the ball" wouldn't fall under the "The passed ball touches ... another player inbounds.
" portion of the rule.