The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

3 Blowouts and then almost an Anti-Padgett

5/6 Grade Rec. First three no problem.

Last game, very tight, competitive, a little chippy at times. During the game we had:
1. Multiple scoring discrepancies between book and scoreboard.
2. Timing Issues. Clock not starting or stopping. After three or four times I make sure to check the clock. I'm not sure if I handled one correctly. I'm lead with the only scoreboard behind me. Roughly 1:05 remaining. I glance up and see the clock isn't running. I blow my whistle, stopping play and indicate the clock hadn't started. I then give a throw-in to the team in possession at the time. Did I handle this correctly? I have read through 5-9 and 5-10, (and done a search here) but I do not see the procedure for handling this. I only have the rules book at home (officials manual and case book at office.)
3. Called a last second foul at end of third quarter, basket was good, free throw missed.
4. Last quarter, see-saw. Tied, 20 seconds left. Team A has Throw-in on their endline, player on A requests time out. I grant it, but A doesn't have any time outs left. Coach A becomes agitated but not approaching a T. He doesn't think players could call time-outs. B attempts and misses both technical foul FTs. B has throw in, tries shot with 5-6 seconds left, misses and A rebounds, rushes down court and makes off balance 3. Whewww - no OT.

Lot of excitement for $25.

Last edited by dsqrddgd909; Sun Nov 15, 2009 at 03:13pm.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
5/6 Grade Rec...1. Multiple scoring discrepancies between book and scoreboard.
Of course, the scoreboard is not official. But I understand about kids rec games. If the scoreboard is allowed to remain out of synch, you risk a four-alarm medical emergency involving dozens of hysterical helicopter parents whose panties become so wadded they require the jaws of life to extricate them.
Old Sun Nov 15, 2009, 01:22pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsqrddgd909 View Post
B has throw in, tries shot with 5-6 seconds left, misses and A rebounds, rushes down court and makes off balance 3. Whewww - no OT.
And, of course, if the shot missed, you had a foul on B, then a couple of lane violations also on B for reshoots (if needed) then a T on B's HC just on general principles (again, if needed).

I have more if you need 'em.