The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Verification (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55403-verification.html)

Refsmitty Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:58am

Verification

MS Boys last night - Team A getting pressed - ball is passed from backcourt towards front court. A1 is in frontcourt with both feet - jumps towards the ball, catches it in front court while in air and lands in back court. I whistle an over and back. Correct?

Adam Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:00pm

Yep. Did the coach cry?

SamIAm Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 636002)
MS Boys last night - Team A getting pressed - ball is passed from backcourt towards front court. A1 is in frontcourt with both feet - jumps towards the ball, catches it in front court while in air and lands in back court. I whistle an over and back. Correct?

Snaqs is correct. But I am a wondering sort. Which leads me to inquire from Refsmitty, if this occurred during a throw-in?

Refsmitty Fri Nov 13, 2009 01:33pm

Coached just questioned about all three points being over - I shook my head yes from across court.

Not a throw in - just a pass trying to break press:)

Adam Fri Nov 13, 2009 01:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refsmitty (Post 636046)
Coached just questioned about all three points being over - I shook my head yes from across court.

Not a throw in - just a pass trying to break press:)

"Coach, 'three points' onlly applies to a player who is dribbling."

PIAA REF Fri Nov 13, 2009 01:39pm

Throw-IN

It can be over-and-back on a throw-in as well. IF the ball is touched first. THis rule changed when the term legally touched came in to play. Example: A1 has a throw-in at the division line. A1 throws ball in, which is legally touched by B1 (pass is tipped) The ball goes into the air. A2 jumps from frontcourt, establishes control of the ball while in the air and then lands in the backcourt. This is a backcourt violation. So in a way you can have a bc violation on a throwin.

cdaref Fri Nov 13, 2009 01:41pm

The coach didnt yell that he caught it before he "broke the plane" into the back court?

A coach yelled that when I made that call one time. That's one of my favorites. :)

SamIAm Fri Nov 13, 2009 01:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 636049)
It can be over-and-back on a throw-in as well. IF the ball is touched first. THis rule changed when the term legally touched came in to play. Example: A1 has a throw-in at the division line. A1 throws ball in, which is legally touched by B1 (pass is tipped) The ball goes into the air. A2 jumps from frontcourt, establishes control of the ball while in the air and then lands in the backcourt. This is a backcourt violation. So in a way you can have a bc violation on a throwin.

Your example is correct. But it is not "on a throw-in" as the throw-in is over after it is legally touched. I think you know this. But if so, why type it incorrectly?

PIAA REF Fri Nov 13, 2009 02:15pm

So I can give you something to correct, you seemed bored, thought you needed something to do.

SamIAm Fri Nov 13, 2009 02:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 636064)
So I can give you something to correct, you seemed bored, thought you needed something to do.

I wish you luck.