The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Cool Test Question

As per #80 on the NFHS exam, "it is possible for time to expire during the throw-in following a successful free throw."

My first instinct says no way, but then I got to thinking about it. It could happen if A1 (with the ball) held the ball through the throw-in boundary and B1 slapped it out of his/her hands, thus causing the clock to start and potentially result in an expiration of time? Knowing how wacky some of these questions can be, I wouldn't put it past the NF. What do you guys have?
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
As per #80 on the NFHS exam, "it is possible for time to expire during the throw-in following a successful free throw."

My first instinct says no way, but then I got to thinking about it. It could happen if A1 (with the ball) held the ball through the throw-in boundary and B1 slapped it out of his/her hands, thus causing the clock to start and potentially result in an expiration of time? Knowing how wacky some of these questions can be, I wouldn't put it past the NF. What do you guys have?
on a successful ft, clock can't start until ball is legally inbounded (if my memory serves me correctly )
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbzebra View Post
on a successful ft, clock can't start until ball is legally inbounded (if my memory serves me correctly )
Isn't the ball legally inbounded if A1 holds it through the plane and B1 slaps it out of A1's hands? Not trying to be a smart ***, just asking.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You don't even need to know whether B1's touching the ball is legal to answer this question.

The play you describe is either legal or illegal. If legal, then when time expires it will NOT happen during the throw-in. If illegal, the clock should not run.

Either way, the answer to the question remains the same.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen, doesn't the clock start and the throw-in END simultaneously?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Gentlemen, doesn't the clock start and the throw-in END simultaneously?
Duh, I just thought of that as I was getting ready to type my response. Time can't expire "during" the thow-in, (as in this particular play of a successful FT) but can expire "after" the throw-in.
Old Sun Nov 01, 2009, 01:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wacky Questions ...

Quote:
Knowing how wacky some of these questions can be, I wouldn't put it past the NFHS.
I'm going to take my IAABO refresher exam today. I'll expect the same type of "wacky" questions that my colleagues who take the NFHS exam experience.

Luckily, my local IAABO board takes out the "wacky" factor. We all take the refresher exam, and the mechanics exam, individually, as open book, take home exams. Then, there are about a dozen exam study groups that meet on various nights, and weekends, throughout our geographic area. Your ticket into one of these study groups in your completed refresher exam, and mechanics exam. We take turns reading the questions, and our answers, and discuss any issues that come up. Each study group has a leader who has the correct answer sheets. Attendance at these study groups counts 5% of our rating, which impacts our ranking, and the number, and level, of games that we are assigned next season.

This will be the first year that attendance at one of these study groups is mandatory, with exceptions for emergencies, and illness. In the past, attendance was optional, some could submit their exams as individuals. You would be surprised at how many individuals received a perfect score, on an exam with "wacky" questions, some even getting a perfect score on questions that were later determined to be incorrect on the answer sheet. Previous to this, we didn't have study groups, we submitted our exam answers individually, and, again, you would be surprised at how many individuals received a perfect score, on an exam with "wacky" questions, some even getting a perfect score on questions that were later determined to be incorrect on the answer sheet.

Sometimes you have to reinvent the wheel.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 01, 2009 at 02:24pm.