The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump Ball to start the Game (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55145-jump-ball-start-game.html)

LeRoy Sun Oct 25, 2009 05:47pm

Jump Ball to start the Game

I was watching a 7th grade game yesterday and during the start of the game the Jump ball was caught by two other players and they had those players jump the ball to start the game. I have looked in the case book and can not find anything. I would just restart the game with the original 2 people at the circle. Any comments or case book number.

BillyMac Sun Oct 25, 2009 06:00pm

Deer In The Headlights ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRoy (Post 632755)
I was watching a 7th grade game yesterday and during the start of the game the Jump ball was caught by two other players and they had those players jump the ball to start the game. I have looked in the case book and can not find anything. I would just restart the game with the original 2 people at the circle. Any comments or case book number.

If the tossed ball was legally tapped and two opponent nonjumpers simultaneously grab the tapped ball, then these two opponents, even if they're both point guards, get to be in one of the few jump balls in their basketball careers.

LeRoy Sun Oct 25, 2009 06:14pm

Any rule or case number

Lotto Sun Oct 25, 2009 07:19pm

NCAA has done away with this as of this year. In this situation, any two jumpers get to rejump. Here's the new text in the rule book:

Rule 6-2:
Art. 3. After an initial jump ball or a jump ball for the start of an extra period(s) when possession is not gained by either team, which would establish the alternating possession procedure, a jump ball shall take place between any two players.

Welpe Sun Oct 25, 2009 07:23pm

Here's the Federation rule:

6-4-3 Note:

If the alternating-possession procedure has not been established, the jump ball shall be between the two players involved in the center restraining circle.

grunewar Sun Oct 25, 2009 07:25pm

The Call Was Correct

In the Fed it's Case Play 6.4.1.C. - If controlled simultaneously, the ball is jumped by the two players in simultaneous possession at the center circle, regardless of where the held ball occurred.

SAK Sun Oct 25, 2009 07:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRoy (Post 632760)
Any rule or case number

6-4-3 Note If the alternating-possession procedure has not been established, the jump ball shall be between the two players involved in the restraining circle.

BktBallRef Sun Oct 25, 2009 08:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeRoy (Post 632755)

Think of it this way. The AP has not been established. You have a held ball between two players. Why would you allow two different players to jump?

zm1283 Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:23am

This happened to me last year for the very first time, and I had the two original jumpers jump again. I wasn't sure if that was right, so I looked it up after the game and saw the correct ruling.

What would you know it happens this past Monday again in a JH girls game. The two girls involved in the held ball looked at me like I had three eyes when I told them they would be the ones jumping this time.

Back In The Saddle Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 632772)
Think of it this way. The AP has not been established. You have a held ball between two players. Why would you allow two different players to jump?

For those of us "of a certain age" who grew up jumping every held ball, it makes perfect sense.