The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Lanyards (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55099-lanyards.html)

Rufus Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:18am

Lanyards

Yes, it's come to this. A question on lanyards.

I've always used one that hooks to a loop on the front of the officiating shirt (aka, Smitty style). I decided to try an around-the-neck kind and purchased one manufactured by Fox. The darned thing is so long, however, that when I run during a game the thing bounces up and hits me in the face (I know, stop running, right?).

For around-the-neck lanyards what do you folks use, like, and recommend? It appears Fox makes an adjustable length lanyard (which was not sold at the store I bought the other one). Anyone use/like that?

tjones1 Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:37am

I wear the Smitty Noose. When I'm running, I've never had a problem with it coming up and hitting me in the face.

Honig's Whistle Stop Online Store - Products

Indianaref Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:48am

Funny story a couple of years ago, I had a travel call, spit my whistle out and gave the traveling violation signal. Well, I guess that I was a little too excited about the signal and knocked the whistle back up to my eyebrow. I noticed I was bleeding coming back down the court.

fiasco Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:29pm

I don't wear anything with the word "noose" in the description.

Mark Padgett Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 632129)

I agree. No noose is good noose. :p

OK - I'll get back on the meds.

Back In The Saddle Wed Oct 21, 2009 01:11pm

Darn you, Padgett. I just expelled a whole mouthful of soda all over everywhere. :D

zm1283 Wed Oct 21, 2009 01:53pm

I use the noose style lanyard because the "Smitty" style was too short. When I raised my head up very high, it yanked my shirt up which bothered me.

Vinski Wed Oct 21, 2009 02:13pm

I prefer the noose as well. I find it easier to put in on and off. I get all cross-eyed trying to put on the Smitty.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 21, 2009 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 632156)
I use the noose style lanyard because the "Smitty" style was too short. When I raised my head up very high, it yanked my shirt up which bothered me.

I've had two lengths of smitty lanyards....one for V necks and one for collared/zippered shirts. The V neck one is a little longer so that it doesn't yank up on the shirt when you raise your head. I only see one offered on honigs now...perhaps they only sell the longer one now.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 21, 2009 02:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 632090)
Yes, it's come to this. A question on lanyards.

I've always used one that hooks to a loop on the front of the officiating shirt (aka, Smitty style). I decided to try an around-the-neck kind and purchased one manufactured by Fox. The darned thing is so long, however, that when I run during a game the thing bounces up and hits me in the face (I know, stop running, right?).

For around-the-neck lanyards what do you folks use, like, and recommend? It appears Fox makes an adjustable length lanyard (which was not sold at the store I bought the other one). Anyone use/like that?

You can always feed the string through the shirt-loop before putting it over your head. That should keep it form flopping up so high. (I use the Smitty type but have a full lanyard as a backup incase the loop breaks)

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Oct 21, 2009 02:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 632136)
I agree. No noose is good noose. :p

That reminds me of the time I (Cacausian) went with a couple African-American partners to do a basketball game in a town that was all-white as well as the visitors. My partners were the only non-whites in the gym that night. Someone from the stands yelled "hey, if the token white guy makes a bad call, there's always that noose around his neck!" I tried not to laugh, as well as my partners. Wow. :D

Back In The Saddle Wed Oct 21, 2009 03:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 632156)

Well then, stop watching the shot from L ;)

zm1283 Wed Oct 21, 2009 05:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 632181)
Well then, stop watching the shot from L ;)

You got me.

JRutledge Wed Oct 21, 2009 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fiasco (Post 632129)

I wear that style, I just do not call it a "noose."

Peace

IowaMike Wed Oct 21, 2009 07:55pm

I started wearing the noose about four years ago. I like it better than the other style because it is longer, and I don't have to worry about that little loop on my shirt breaking during a game. I don't have any of the smitty lanyards anymore.