The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Are the NBA replacement refs really this bad? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55070-nba-replacement-refs-really-bad.html)

Mark Padgett Mon Oct 19, 2009 04:59pm

Are the NBA replacement refs really this bad?

One newspaper columnist's take on the NBA replacement refs.

Muzzle this, NBA: Your replacement refs are terrible | John Canzano - – OregonLive.com

grunewar Mon Oct 19, 2009 05:49pm

Yikes!

Wow John, tell us what you really think of the officiating!

Scratch85 Mon Oct 19, 2009 06:21pm

It looks like John, and probably a lot of fans, prefer the NBA to be like WWE Wrestling and Globetrotter Basketball.

The replacement refs obviously know the rules and are capable of calling games, but they may not be familiar with the rules of the "Show". It's entertainment and big business. Let them (NBA) conduct business however they choose. The paying fans will be the judge of its' success.

Indianaref Tue Oct 20, 2009 07:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 629250)
Just a prediction, as we get close to season opener, watch the media reports on how bad the replacement refs are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 629268)
Disagree. Every team's media office will be threatening to cut off access to players in response to stories like that.

It's started.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Oct 20, 2009 07:46am

Sounds like someone put too many beans into this columnist's latte. The NBA could send a bigger message by telling the teams to revoke the press credentials of idiots like this columnist or be fined.

Indianaref Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 631779)
Sounds like someone put too many beans into this columnist's latte. The NBA could send a bigger message by telling the teams to revoke the press credentials of idiots like this columnist or be fined.

You are underestimating the strength of the union.

Welpe Tue Oct 20, 2009 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indianaref (Post 631777)
It's started.

Perhaps. This is an editorial. I'll be curious to see what comes from the regular game articles.

Back In The Saddle Tue Oct 20, 2009 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 631779)

Why would you want them to? It's one thing for the NBA to muzzle players and coaches. They are trying to negotiate a union contract and they don't want "their side" torpedoing their efforts.

But what is your motivation for wanting to silence the press? You don't agree with the columnists opinion, so you want to "disappear him" somehow? Are you hoping everybody will agree the replacements do a better job and the NBA will let the current staff go? I guess I'm missing your point.

LDUB Tue Oct 20, 2009 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 631860)
Why would you want them to? It's one thing for the NBA to muzzle players and coaches. They are trying to negotiate a union contract and they don't want "their side" torpedoing their efforts.

But what is your motivation for wanting to silence the press? You don't agree with the columnists opinion, so you want to "disappear him" somehow? Are you hoping everybody will agree the replacements do a better job and the NBA will let the current staff go? I guess I'm missing your point.

If the replacements are that bad then the NBA better get the regular officials back. The NBA has decided to not let the officials work. They do not want to be pressured to bring them back.

Back In The Saddle Tue Oct 20, 2009 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 631880)
If the replacements are that bad then the NBA better get the regular officials back. The NBA has decided to not let the officials work. They do not want to be pressured to bring them back.

From the league's point of view, you are right. I was wondering about Ref Ump Welsch's motivation for his comments. He seems to disagree strongly with the editorial, then suggest how the league might exercise some control over the guy. The attitude I got was basically, "This guy is an idiot, can't you shut him up?" I was wondering why RUW would want that to happen. What makes this editorial different than any other, normally clueless, commentary from any other sports writer about officiating on any other day?

Perhaps today is no different and he can't ever stand clueless idiot sportswriters? :D

mutantducky Tue Oct 20, 2009 07:08pm

refs suck and the media is always right

:p

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Oct 21, 2009 08:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 631886)
From the league's point of view, you are right. I was wondering about Ref Ump Welsch's motivation for his comments. He seems to disagree strongly with the editorial, then suggest how the league might exercise some control over the guy. The attitude I got was basically, "This guy is an idiot, can't you shut him up?" I was wondering why RUW would want that to happen. What makes this editorial different than any other, normally clueless, commentary from any other sports writer about officiating on any other day?

Perhaps today is no different and he can't ever stand clueless idiot sportswriters? :D

I was just thinking back to the good old days, when coaches and GM's could take away a certain journalist's credentials because of the crap they spewed, and got away with it because the NBA or other organization didn't care. Now, I know that wouldn't fly.

And you're right, I just can't stand clueless idiot sportswriters. They ought to create a special place in hell for them. :cool:

grunewar Wed Oct 21, 2009 08:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 632026)
They ought to create a special place in hell for them. :cool:

They already have such a place......they banish them to Washington DC and force them to cover the Nationals, the Wizards, and the Redskins! :p

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Oct 21, 2009 09:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 632030)
They already have such a place......they banish them to Washington DC and force them to cover the Nationals, the Wizards, and the Redskins! :p

I have a buddy who's a fan of all three...wonder if dropping him that line would ruin his mentality before he takes his math test today. :D

deecee Wed Oct 21, 2009 01:57pm

That's his opinion. I don't get why we are getting so riled up about this man and his opinion and his job? If we want to dismiss every negative comment made towards us then we should do the same to every positive comment as well.

Plus we seem to always judge the NBA to "our" set of standards when it is clear that the NBA runs on "their" set of standards. I dont get all the hostility towards the league, especially since we know what it is all about.