The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Need Help on Jump Stop Rule (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55044-need-help-jump-stop-rule.html)

nicksti Sat Oct 17, 2009 06:29pm

Need Help on Jump Stop Rule

With the help of a video demonstration from an NBA's player, here is a video of Sacha Vujacic showing how to do an effective jump stop:

Basketball Shooting: Jump Stop | PlaySportsTV

Here is my question which came up after the rule change in the NBA:

Is it legal to dribble the ball towards the basket, jump stop, and then hold the ball (not shoot or pass)? In the video, Sacha always shoots, but is he allowed to hold the ball after his jump stop and not shoot/pass?

Thanks.

Mregor Sat Oct 17, 2009 06:53pm

What is he doing with the ball prior to shooting or passing? That should give you an answer.

nicksti Sat Oct 17, 2009 07:10pm

In the video he was dribbling that ball towards the basket. He then pulled his dribble (held the ball with 2 hands) and came to a jump stop. He then jumped into the air and shot the ball at the basket.

Is he allowed to jump stop in this scenario and then hold the ball i.e. not shoot or pass?

bob jenkins Sat Oct 17, 2009 07:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksti (Post 631367)
In the video he was dribbling that ball towards the basket. He then pulled his dribble (held the ball with 2 hands) and came to a jump stop. He held the ball for a fraction of a second He then jumped into the air and shot the ball at the basket.

Is he allowed to jump stop in this scenario and then hold the ball i.e. not shoot or pass?

I edited your post to show the answer, as was hinted at previously.

Or, another way of putting it -- when is it ever illegal to hold the ball (at least until some 3-second or 5-second or 10-second or 24-second, ... rule comes into play)?

nicksti Sun Oct 18, 2009 08:47am

Ahhh I missed that. lol.

But is there not one example where you have to pass or shoot and cannot hold the ball?

Player dribbles the ball towards the basket.
Player holds the ball with 2 hands.
Player takes first step with right foot.
Player takes second step with left foot.
Player does not take another step and keeps holding the ball.

I thought in previous rules this was a violation. Now the NBA has changed the two step rule to read:

"A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may take two steps in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball."

I guess I am also wrong on that scenario being a violation?

BktBallRef Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:36am

It doesn't relly matter.

Since the NBA now has a two step rule, they will allow them to take three steps.

bob jenkins Sun Oct 18, 2009 03:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicksti (Post 631434)
Ahhh I missed that. lol.

But is there not one example where you have to pass or shoot and cannot hold the ball?

Player dribbles the ball towards the basket.
Player holds the ball with 2 hands.
Player takes first step with right foot.
Player takes second step with left foot.
Player does not take another step and keeps holding the ball.

I thought in previous rules this was a violation.

(depending on the location of teh feet when A1 first holds the ball) It was (and is in other than the NBA about which I don't give a rat's ***) a violation for traveling. IT's not a violation because A1 "holds the ball and doesn't shoot or pass" -- there isn't any such animal.