The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Asking for help! Topics for rules review meeting (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/55007-asking-help-topics-rules-review-meeting.html)

jdw3018 Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:05pm

Asking for help! Topics for rules review meeting

So, I'm facilitating our local rules meeting tomorrow night. We've hit Rule 4 pretty decently and have gone over the new case plays for this year.

Any suggestions on a good topic/topics to discuss for an hour? What are the best formats any of you have had for a rules review? I'd love to make it interactive and fun, so any suggestions on what you've seen work is much appreciated.

The purpose of the meeting is two-fold. One is to prepare for the test (we don't use the NFHS test here, we use a not-so-fun home-made version. The other is to prepare for the season, obviously. Mostly, those overlap, though there are always a few "this is how the rule is written, this is how we enforce it here" discussions.

So, any help would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

Mark Padgett Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:53pm

Try this one. A1 (a girl) is standing with both feet in the frontcourt, holding the ball. A rubber band falls out of her hair into the backcourt. Is this a violation? :p

mbyron Wed Oct 14, 2009 06:11am

Rules:
Kinds of foul + penalty
Kinds of violation + penalty
correctable errors
substitution rules

Mechanics:
block/charge
primary coverage areas
rotations + switches
starting the game

That should be enough for a meeting or two. ;)

amusedofficial Wed Oct 14, 2009 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 630778)
Try this one. A1 (a girl) is standing with both feet in the frontcourt, holding the ball. A rubber band falls out of her hair into the backcourt. Is this a violation? :p

What color is the rubber band?

Vinski Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 630771)
I'd love to make it interactive and fun, so any suggestions on what you've seen work is much appreciated.

How about block/charge scenarios. If you want it interactive, have people run into each other under different conditions and the observers decide if it was a block or a change. Sounds like a great time to me (as long as Iím not one of the guys being run into :D).

jdw3018 Wed Oct 14, 2009 09:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinski (Post 630813)
How about block/charge scenarios. If you want it interactive, have people run into each other under different conditions and the observers decide if it was a block or a change. Sounds like a great time to me (as long as Iím not one of the guys being run into :D).

Sounds like fun...I will definitely incorporate this tonight. Thanks!

Mark Padgett Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by amusedofficial (Post 630806)
What color is the rubber band?

It's her HS colors, puce and chartreuse.

Indianaref Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdw3018 (Post 630771)
I'd love to make it interactive and fun, so any suggestions on what you've seen work is much appreciated.

Interactive? How about the fight rule.

mbyron Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:05pm

Oooh, I forgot one.

You could devote an entire session to the traveling rule.

Of course, it might be pointless, since everybody knows you get 2 steps. :rolleyes:

jdw3018 Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 630888)
Oooh, I forgot one.

You could devote an entire session to the traveling rule.

Of course, it might be pointless, since everybody knows you get 2 steps. :rolleyes:

Not sure we have time for it all, but I think I'm going to go with a review of legal and illegal contact, and if we have time we'll review traveling as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys! :D

chartrusepengui Fri Oct 16, 2009 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 630872)
It's her HS colors, puce and chartreuse.

Hey - quit pickin on chartreuse ....... no, wait - it's ok - I don't spell it that way.;)

Bad Zebra Fri Oct 16, 2009 03:52pm

If you have a lot of newbies in the audience...you might want to include live ball/dead ball. Had our rules meeting this week and they seemed to struggle with the concept.