The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NBA refs back to work?? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54955-nba-refs-back-work.html)

justacoach Fri Oct 09, 2009 09:42am

NBA refs back to work??

Heard from a friend whom I trust that the NBA ref union will accept a slightly modified proposal from the NBA and will be back to work next week.

Anyone have other sources that concur??

Back In The Saddle Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:09am

*** WARNING: Completely off-topic post ***

Coach, just curious about your tag line. Who are the two best refs in your house? :)

Camron Rust Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 629899)

Coach, just curious about your tag line. Who are the two best refs in your house? :)

Well, isn't that obvious....His wife and his wife!

justacoach Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:02pm

Quote:

I have two sons who also officiate basketball. They literally and figuratively run circles around their old man...

Raymond Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:30pm

Quote:

One of his sons just joined my HS board. I'm looking forward to seeing him work.

grunewar Fri Oct 09, 2009 01:14pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 629939)
I have two sons who also officiate basketball. They literally and figuratively run circles around their old man...

Bits/BNR - I have reffed with both his sons and his statement IS true! No offense coach. ;)

Both his boys have a bright future if they choose to keep at it. I'd work with either one anytime......and, their old man too in a pinch! :eek:

Back In The Saddle Fri Oct 09, 2009 03:12pm

I didn't realize he was from Utah. ;)

Mark Padgett Fri Oct 09, 2009 05:08pm

I heard the deciding factor was that Dick Bavetta was running out of Geritol and needed the money. :p

tballump Fri Oct 09, 2009 08:17pm

Is that the same bottle Jack Nies gave to him. If so, its good for another 2 years since Jack used it for 71 years until his retirement last year. It's a crying shame to have to work till that age before one feels they have the security needed to retire. I guess that full Social Security benefit is really needed for some guys. Even though Jack did not get in the NBA until he was 40, and felt he could not retire after 25 years at 65, it is also a crying shame that they made him wait until the age of 62 to get an NBA final. Just a shame that both Jack and Dick have to work into their 70's to get the security needed for retirement.

Nevadaref Sat Oct 10, 2009 04:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tballump (Post 630038)
Is that the same bottle Jack Nies gave to him. If so, its good for another 2 years since Jack used it for 71 years until his retirement last year. It's a crying shame to have to work till that age before one feels they have the security needed to retire. I guess that full Social Security benefit is really needed for some guys. Even though Jack did not get in the NBA until he was 40, and felt he could not retire after 25 years at 65, it is also a crying shame that they made him wait until the age of 62 to get an NBA final. Just a shame that both Jack and Dick have to work into their 70's to get the security needed for retirement.

Well they could have retired years ago, and then unretired...and then retired again, and then unretired again... and then ... oh, nevermind that's only an option for the players.

BillyMac Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:59am

Shouldn't This Be On The Football Forum ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 630052)
Well they could have retired years ago, and then unretired, and then retired again, and then unretired again, and then, oh, nevermind that's only an option for the players.

Are you talking about Brett Favre?

tomegun Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tballump (Post 630038)
it is also a crying shame that they made him wait until the age of 62 to get an NBA final. Just a shame that both Jack and Dick have to work into their 70's to get the security needed for retirement.

1. This is one way of thinking I hate and roll my eyes every time I hear it. The amount of time someone works in an organization shouldn't ensure a championship. Do the teams with the oldest players make it to the championship or the best team?

2. Why can't someone work, as long as they are capable, until they decide to give it up? Now, I will say that good old Jack was mailing it in the last couple of years.

Nevadaref Sun Oct 11, 2009 03:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 630076)
Are you talking about Brett Favre?

Michael Jordan ;)