The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   a little help..... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54862-little-help.html)

vbzebra Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:50am

a little help.....

ok, I have a situation I just thought of, but my books are at home :( .

A1 shooting 2nd of 2 ft's. A2 commits a lane violation during shooting motion (immediate violation, dead ball, no ft). That I know...

But say B1 goaltends the released ft, even though the released ft never really counts due to A2 violating. My question is, is this still a technical foul and goaltending enforcement on B1 for goaltending a ft? Even though the ft was killed by A2 violating?

If it IS a T, it would be 2 ft and division line throw in opposite the table for team A. If it is NOT a T, would it just be b's sopt throw in on end line?

Ch1town Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:58am

Good one!

I'd like to think a GT cannot occur because of the whistle to kill the FT... no live ball.

Don't have my books either, someone should be along to clarify sooner than later.

Camron Rust Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:37pm

No GT...ball is dead....B's ball due to the FT violation.

CLH Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 628520)
No GT...ball is dead....B's ball due to the FT violation.

I concur...

asdf Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:44pm

Correct...

The Case Book play in 9.12 refers to A2 entering the lane and committing basket interference. The interference is ignored because the free throw attempted ended with the violation.

Even with B committing the interference, the free throw ended on the violation.

mbyron Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vbzebra (Post 628502)
But say B1 goaltends the released ft, even though the released ft never really counts due to A2 violating. My question is, is this still a technical foul and goaltending enforcement on B1 for goaltending a ft? Even though the ft was killed by A2 violating?

First of all, goaltending is a violation, not a technical foul. So even if we had goaltending, it couldn't "still" be a T because it's never a T.

Second, since you recognize that the FT was canceled, you should realize that it's impossible to goaltend a shot that never occurred.

No violation. B's ball for an end-line throw-in.

Ch1town Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 628526)
First of all, goaltending is a violation, not a technical foul. So even if we had goaltending, it couldn't "still" be a T because it's never a T.

Even on a FT sir?

CLH Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 628526)

Second, since you recognize that the FT was canceled, you should realize that it's impossible to goaltend a shot that never occurred.

No violation. B's ball for an end-line throw-in.

Try again...goaltending during a free throw is a technical foul...this occured a couple years ago in the mens ncaa tournament...

mbyron Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 628529)
Even on a FT sir?

OK. I learned something today, namely 10-3-9.

Ch1town Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 628535)
OK. I learned something today, namely 10-3-9.

The never ending process :)
That's why I love this place, you can learn from others before messing them up on the court.

Helluva tool for officials!

tjchamp Fri Oct 02, 2009 01:18pm

What is the situation that would cause a person to goaltend a free throw if they didn't know it was a T?

CLH Fri Oct 02, 2009 01:21pm

The number one reason would be stupidity

A couple years ago a coach told his player to goaltend a free throw late in a close game during the NCAA Men's tournament. He knew it would get them the ball back no matter what, which was what he wanted to accomplish. However; he didn't realize the technical foul rule, thankfully the referees did and handled the situation correctly. Of course, the referees were blamed for the loss until the coach found the rule and exonnerated the crew, lol..

Camron Rust Fri Oct 02, 2009 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLH (Post 628544)
The number one reason would be stupidity

A couple years ago a coach told his player to goaltend a free throw late in a close game during the NCAA Men's tournament. He knew it would get them the ball back no matter what, which was what he wanted to accomplish. However; he didn't realize the technical foul rule, thankfully the referees did and handled the situation correctly. Of course, the referees were blamed for the loss until the coach found the rule and exonerated the crew, lol..

The shooting team was ahead with little time left and the coach's goal was to prevent the clock from starting...and to concede the point as they were, IIRC, down by 1 prior to the final FT.

As I remember it, I don't think the coach blamed the refs...sure, he reacted at the moment of the call but the refs immediately explained it and it was over.

Ch1town Fri Oct 02, 2009 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 628570)
As I remember it, I don't think the coach blamed the refs...sure, he reacted at the moment of the call but the refs immediately explained it and it was over.

Closure? In officiating... say it ain't so :D