The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Double Foul POI question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54791-double-foul-poi-question.html)

PIAA REF Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:11am

Double Foul POI question

NFHS rules,
I was told that I was incorrect and even after reading the case/rule book I don't know if I was or not. Please Advise:

A1 is taking the ball out of bounds under his own basket. While the ball is still in the hands of A1. B2 and A2 are whistled for a double personal foul. With the ball never becoming touched on the court and still in A1's possession doed A retain possession under the POI procedure. Or does this become an alternating possession issue since there is no team control during a throw-in(in high school)

Please site case and rule reference and let me know.

(I thought A retained possession, with POI; I was told that it went to the arrow because of no team possession)

SAK Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 627575)
NFHS rules,

(I thought A retained possession, with POI; I was told that it went to the arrow because of no team possession)

The key here is that A there is no team control here.
4-12-6 Neither team control nor player control exists during a dead ball, throw-in, a jump ball or when a the ball is in flight during a try or tap for a goal.

You can only resume play with a POI throw-in if there is team control. Since no team control exists you cannot have a POI throw in and must go to the AP arrow.

Back In The Saddle Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:26am

You were right.

SECTION 36 POINT OF INTERRUPTION
ART. 1 . . . Method of resuming play due to an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, as in 5-4-3, a correctable error, as in 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-8 and 4-19-10.
ART. 2…Play shall be resumed by one of the following methods:
a. A throw-in to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the interruption occurred.
b. A free throw or a throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.
c. An alternating-possession throw-in when neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved when the game is interrupted.

Vinski Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:28am

SECTION 36 POINT OF INTERRUPTION
ART. 1 . . . Method of resuming play due to an official's accidental whistle, an interrupted game, as in 5-4-3, a correctable error, as in 2-10-6, a double personal, double technical or simultaneous foul, as in 4-19-8 and 4-19-10.
ART. 2 . . . Play shall be resumed by one of the following methods:

a. A throw-in to the team that was in control at a spot nearest to where the ball was located when the interruption occurred.
b. A free throw or a throw-in when the interruption occurred during this activity or if a team is entitled to such.
c. An alternating-possession throw-in when neither team is in control and no goal, infraction, nor end of quarter/extra period is involved when the game is interrupted.

Throw in to team A...You were correct.

Raymond Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:35am

As cited above, the POI is the throw-in, so team control, or lack there of, is not of consequence.

Vinski Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:37am

Dang it. You just beat me, BITS. :)

mbyron Mon Sep 28, 2009 09:01am

I don't quite get why POI is so confusing. I hear all the time, "POI, which means it's the AP arrow," as if POI entailed the AP arrow. Or, as in this case, "should it be the POI, or the AP arrow?" as if it couldn't be both.

It's just not that hard: the meaning of 'point of interruption' is supposed to be self-evident. Whatever was happening when the game was interrupted, do that next.

So: if the ball was live, give it back to the team in control, or the free thrower, or the team throwing in. If none of the above, go to the AP arrow.

Back In The Saddle Mon Sep 28, 2009 09:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vinski (Post 627583)
Dang it. You just beat me, BITS. :)

You gotta be quick around here. Mostly I'm just lucky. :)

Camron Rust Mon Sep 28, 2009 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 627587)
So: if the ball was live, give it back to the team in control, or the free thrower, or the team throwing in. If none of the above, go to the AP arrow.

And if it was not live, do what was coming next...who was about to have a throwin due to a prior infraction or made goal.

referee99 Mon Sep 28, 2009 03:01pm

good distillation...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 627587)
Whatever was happening when the game was interrupted, do that next.

That about sums it up.

BktBallRef Mon Sep 28, 2009 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 627576)
The key here is that A there is no team control here.
4-12-6 Neither team control nor player control exists during a dead ball, throw-in, a jump ball or when a the ball is in flight during a try or tap for a goal.

You can only resume play with a POI throw-in if there is team control. Since no team control exists you cannot have a POI throw in and must go to the AP arrow.

I hope you've read the other posts. :)

SAK Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BktBallRef (Post 627742)
I hope you've read the other posts. :)

I have, and I realized that I was incorrect.

Adam Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAK (Post 627746)
I have, and I realized that I was incorrect.

I hate it when that happens.

SAK Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 627827)
I hate it when that happens.

tell me about it.

zm1283 Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:25am

I could be off here, but I'm pretty sure I learned this also on this board last season: If the ball has left the thrower's hands, it's still the POI, but if it has been touched inbounds it goes to the arrow.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.