The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 09:28pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question What do you do to get ready for the season?

One of the local rec leagues in Beaverton starts play this coming weekend. The ref and game schedules will be posted on the facilities website on Thursday evening. I expect to get two or three games on Saturday and the same on Sunday (maybe even four each day).

I've started my usual preparation for the beginning of the season. I've refilled all my meds, soaked my feet in ice water and am practicing calling T's on the neighbors. I actually called a flagrant on one guy and tossed him out of the neighborhood for not cleaning up after his dog.

Is there anything specific you guys do that you'd like to share?
Old Sat Sep 26, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

I cut down on my running schedule. Now you'll all realize that I'm as crazy as Mark (no offense Mark). I run marathons in my "free-time" and I cut back my weekly mileage during basketball season so I'm not as susceptible to injuries. Friday was my last long run until Feb/March, I ran 20 miles and felt pretty good about it. Now I'll cut down to about three-quarters of the miles per week.

Other than that, I start to watch some tapes from last spring and this summer's camps to set goals for myself. Of course, brushing up on the rules is in there as well.

-Josh
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 09:47am
Courageous When Prudent

I work out all year long, 5-6 days a week. I will cut back once scrimmages start. And no pick-up basketball once the season starts.
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 10:47am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I run marathons in my "free-time"...
What a coincidence! I watch "Law And Order" marathons on cable in my "free time"!
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
What a coincidence! I watch "Law And Order" marathons on cable in my "free time"!
Great minds think alike Mark, great minds think alike

-Josh
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Pray...
Old Sun Sep 27, 2009, 09:47pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
I start to watch some tapes from last spring and this summer's camps to set goals for myself. Of course, brushing up on the rules is in there as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I work out all year long, 5-6 days a week. I will cut back once scrimmages start. And no pick-up basketball once the season starts.
Great stuff guys! In addition to those gems, I make it a point to start using HS mechanics/signals right about Oct. no matter what level I'm working.
I go year round so after March I'm tossing the ol' stop the clock & point on OOB calls. Why can't we just point
Gotta get rid of the hit to the head, the forearm chuck, loose ball & all of those great signals as well.

It must be a challenge to go back & forth on a nightly basis for you NCAA officials... as far as coverages, floor mechanics & signals go. Thoughts are highly encouraged.

And I definitely cut back! I just successfully completed 8 games today (mix of varsity - 8th b&g) & 4 youth fball games yesterday. I say successfully because it seems as though every year I get less & less pushback when I do the off-season ball, particularly youth. A few years ago there was no way I'm doing 8 bball games in a day without being approached by a fanatic AFTER the game that poor Johnny lost by 57 &/or having to sit multiple coaches down for the day. 1 T on a player today & it called itself...
I don't know if it's their familiarity with me or my court presence (due to camps & opportunities to work a higher level of ball in the summer) but I LIKE IT! I used to judge my improvement soley upon me getting picked up or not, but by stepping down in skill level, I can honestly see a change in my game... well at least the GM part of the game. Had a pretty decent & experienced partner, you've met him, mostly wreck/youth stuff, no varsity, no camps, no desire to excel or advance, just a check collector, but I just focused on consistently being strong & vocal on my stuff and having the attitude of what I do speaks so loud that I cannot hear YOU. Not a bad weekend

Note: YOU meaning fans, coaches, parent/table assitants NOT my partner.

Last edited by Ch1town; Sun Sep 27, 2009 at 09:55pm.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Panic. Starting yesterday.

It may not seem like a lot, but a guy's gotta have a regular ritual to properly and consistently prepare year after year.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 08:32am
Courageous When Prudent

And oh yeah, I cut back on the alcohol consumption. Try to limit it to Sunday afternoon NFL viewing in a sports bar every other week and the occasional night out with my lady.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 08:53am
Do not give a damn!!

The first thing I do is run my class that starts to night for newer officials.

The second thing is we have a group meeting of individuals to go over the test. I am usually the person that finds all the references and gives the explanations for the rules (before) during this meeting.

Then several of our associations start meetings in the next week or so. I am the President of one of those organizations so I have to run the meetings.

This year I am looking for a personal trainer to get me do some extra basketball conditioning stuff. I work out already, but I am looking to take this to another level. I have several trainers in my church and I am waiting for the right time to meet with at least one of them to get this started. I am already in good shape with football that I have been doing for the last 5 weeks (but I was doing stuff several weeks before the season started there too).

Peace
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 09:12am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I like to check all my uniforms to make sure they all fit and are serviceable. When the season gets here, it's too late to decide the pants don't fit too well or the sneakers are about to go........
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I like to check all my uniforms to make sure they all fit and are serviceable. When the season gets here, it's too late to decide the pants don't fit too well or the sneakers are about to go........
Ooh, good reminder. I think I'll go do that now.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Ooh, good reminder. I think I'll go do that now.
And while you're at it, don't forget to panic that some of the supply places might already be out of your size...

Just trying to help.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up

I basically start getting back into the Basketball mode. I start light conditioning during the week and watch film. I also go over last years tests and prepare for the upcoming test.
Old Mon Sep 28, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Thumbs up

I basically start getting back into the Basketball mode. I start light conditioning during the week and watch film. I also go over last years tests and prepare for the upcoming test.