The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Typo or a need to read? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54725-typo-need-read.html)

Ch1town Tue Sep 22, 2009 03:23pm

Typo or a need to read?

If a technical foul is administered to team A to end the second half and the score is tied after the resulting FTs how does the extra period begin?

Fed & NCAA please.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Sep 22, 2009 03:43pm

Fed -- The extra period begins with a jump ball.

CK Tue Sep 22, 2009 03:52pm

FED

5.6 COMMENT B: If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to
end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws. This applies even when the foul occurs after the first half has ended. It also applies when the foul occurs after the second half has ended, provided the score is tied.If the score is not tied, the free throws are administered unless the outcome of the game will not be affected. If the outcome is not already decided, the free throws are attempted immediately as if the foul had been a part of the fourth quarter. In this case, if any overtime period is necessary, it will start with a jump ball. The division line throw-in following the technical foul cannot be carried over to the overtime as the fourth quarter ended with the last free throw. (5-6-4)

Ch1town Tue Sep 22, 2009 04:02pm

Okay that's what I thought!!

When reading Referee magazine & taking the little quiz, I answered:
c) jump ball
then I turn to the answer key & it says
a) Throw-in to team B as the result of the technical foul

I'll charge my :confused: to a typo

Thanks!

Juulie Downs Tue Sep 22, 2009 08:55pm

Common wisdom around here is that Referee magazine often has "typos" of this sort. I think the big picture is to keep asking around, whether the source is the tests, Referee magazine or this forum. Keep discussing. Keep getting "interps". Eventually you find a concensus.

bob jenkins Wed Sep 23, 2009 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 626699)
Eventually you find a concensus.

Isn't a concensus a count of the prison population? ;)

(Only poking fun here because it's rare to see Juulie make this type of mistake. Of course, the thread is about typos, so maybe she was just staying on topic.)

Juulie Downs Wed Sep 23, 2009 09:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 626753)

(Only poking fun here because it's rare to see Juulie make this type of mistake. Of course, the thread is about typos, so maybe she was just staying on topic.)

Dagnabit!! I knew it was wrong, but the longer I stared, the more I couldn't figure out why. And me a Quaker raised on consensus, too...

grunewar Wed Sep 23, 2009 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 626753)

ARGH! I'd expect that kind of comment from Mark. But, you too Bob? Shocked I tell ya! Shocked I am!! :p

Welpe Thu Sep 24, 2009 07:40am

It's nice to see Referee screwing up rulings for basketball, too. Makes us football folks not feel so singled out.