The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Copy of the NFHS Part 1 Questions (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54720-copy-nfhs-part-1-questions.html)

brainbrian Mon Sep 21, 2009 05:50pm

Copy of the NFHS Part 1 Questions

Does anyone have a copy of the basketball part 1 test from this year?

Don't worry, I don't need the answers, just the questions.

grunewar Mon Sep 21, 2009 05:54pm

The Computer Generation

I don't know about the rest of the country, but here in VA we take our test online (no more paper) and it's not available until 1 Nov.

skeeter Tue Sep 22, 2009 06:25am

Here are the questions that came up for me.

1) A closely-guarded situation can occur when different defenders continuously guard the player holding or dribbling the ball, provided the 6-foot distance is maintained throughout.
2) A player-control foul may occur during an interrupted dribble.
3) Substitution between halves may be made by a team representative
4) B1 fouls A1 and B1 is replaced; B1 may return between A1's first and second free throws
5) The ball must be handed to a player in order to put it at the disposal of the player.
6) A red light behind each backboard or an LED light on each backboard is permitted to signal that time has expired for a quarter or extra period.
7) B1 has established a legal guarding position when one foot is on the playing court inbounds and one foot is on the sideline boundary
8) A dribble may be started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball to the floor before the pivot foot is lifted
9) The court is legally marked even though the team mascot painted on the floor obscures a small portion of the division line
10) A team must begin the game with five players.
11) There are three marked lane spaces on each lane boundary line, each measuring 36 inches by 36 inches.
12) A team foul is any personal foul or technical foul, except indirect technical fouls, that is charged to either team.
13) An official shall silently and visibly count seconds while administering the rules for a throw-in, free throw, backcourt, closely guarded and three seconds
14) During free-throw attempts resulting from a technical foul, substitutions may be made only after the final attempt has been converted.
15) If a mistake has been made and an umpire is still on the floor at the end of the game, he/she may call the referee back to make the correction.
16) When a red/LED light is used, the light is the official expiration of playing time
17) The horizontal panels of a legal basketball may have alternating colors.
18) An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for goal and has not returned to the floor.
19) In facilities with both a red light on each backboard and an audible timer's signal, only the audible timer's signal shall be used.
20) Continuous motion has no significance unless there is a foul by the offense during the interval between the habitual throwing movement and when the ball is clearly in flight.
21) When guarding a moving opponent without the ball, the guard must give the opponent time and distance to avoid contact
22) A substitute throw is awarded if B1 disconcerts free thrower A1 but the attempt is successful.
23) A substitute shall remain outside the boundary line until the scorer directs him or her to enter.
24) No. 0 and No. 00 are both legal numbers, but a team is not permitted to use both numbers on the same team list.
25) It is possible for time to expire during the throw-in following a successful free throw
26) To establish the alternating-possession procedure, control may be gained as a result of a violation or foul
27) If tapper A1 catches the referee's toss during the opening jump ball, Team B gains the first possession and the arrow is set toward A's basket
28) A bookkeeping mistake can only be corrected by the officials if it is recognized by the first dead ball after the mistake.
29) A team jersey containing the numbers 6, 7, 8 or 9 is illegal
30) Extra periods shall be three minutes with one minute intermission before each extra period
31) Neither team control nor player control exists during a dead ball, jump ball, throw-in, or when the ball is in flight during a try or tap for a goal.
32) It is a violation if A1 contacts an opponent while swinging arms and elbows
33) A player occupying a marked lane space may not have any part of his/her body beyond the vertical plane of the lane boundary or edge of any lane space marking.
34) There are no color or design restrictions in the area of the team jersey from the imaginary line at the base of the neckline to the top of the shoulder
35) A team is not permitted to participate with fewer than five players if it has no substitutes to replace disqualified or injured players.
36) Numbers on the front and back of the shirt must be at least eight inches high
37) The officials' duties include prohibiting practice during a dead ball except between halves.
38) The black rubber rib separating the panels on the ball may not exceed 1/4 inch in width.
39) State associations may alter the length and placement of the 14-foot (maximum) coaching box.
40) The timer shall sound a warning horn with 10 seconds remaining in a 30-second time-out
41) All contact between opponents is ignored when the ball is dead unless it is contact by an airborne shooter
42) The guard is responsible for contact if the dribbler has been able to get his or her head and shoulders past the guard's torso
43) A team is permitted to wear black headbands and wristbands with their home white jerseys, provided all team members are wearing the same color.
44) When moving to maintain legal position, the guard must have both feet on the playing court and continue facing the opponent
45) A closely-guarded count is terminated when A1's dribble is interrupted
46) Successive time-outs shall not be granted at any time
47) A violation occurs when a closely-guarded A1 anywhere in A's backcourt holds or dribbles the ball for five seconds.
48) During an interrupted dribble in the frontcourt by A1, A2 can be called for a three-second violation
49) When an excess time-out is requested, a technical foul is also charged indirectly to the head coach.
50) It is a violation if A1 attempts to stand after gaining possession of the ball on the floor

skeeter Tue Sep 22, 2009 06:25am

the other 50 questions

51) A player may not remove his/her jersey on the playing court, but may do so at the team bench area.
52) The officials' jurisdiction actually begins in the dressing room if they are not able to be on the floor 15 minutes before the start.
53) If a player wears the uniform pants below the hips, he or she shall be directed to leave the game
54) A state association may authorize the use of video replay in all situations it deems appropriate.
55) A violation has occurred when B1, in a marked space, loses his/her balance and touches inside the lane with both hands prior to A1's release of a free-throw attempt.
56) The officials' jurisdiction extends through periods when the game may be momentarily stopped for any reason.
57) Any player, other than the free thrower, who does not occupy a marked lane space must be behind the free-throw line extended and behind the three-point line.
58) If a player is directed to leave the game for a violation of the uniform rule, the coach may call a time-out to keep the player in the game.
59) The ideal court measurement is 50 feet by 94 feet
60) If the officials stop play for a bleeding player, the player may remain in the game if his/her team is charged with a time-out and the bleeding situation is remedied.
61) The referee may designate any official to toss the jump ball to start the game.
62) If two minutes and 30 seconds are used for discussing a correctable-error situation, two 60- and one 30-second time-outs are charged to the calling team if no correction is made.
63) A time-out is not charged if it was granted because a player's contact lens or eyeglasses were displaced
64) A school or conference logo/mascot may be located at the apex/opening of the jersey neckline
65) The time-out area is an imaginary rectangle formed by the sideline (including the bench), end line, nearer free-throw lane line extended and the coaching-box line
66) The act of shooting ends when the attempt is either successful or unsuccessful.
67) Players may sit or stand during a 60-second time-out, but must remain in the time-out area.
68) Only a defensive player can commit basket interference.
69) The basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled cover with any number of horizontally shaped panels.
70) "Point of interruption" is a method of resuming play after any technical foul or any double foul.
71) Moveable basket rings are prohibited.
72) To obtain an initial legal guarding position, the guard must have both feet touching the playing court
73) Goaltending can occur during a free-throw attempt while the ball is in flight outside the basket cylinder
74) Side inserts on the team jersey must be centered vertically below the armpit and may not exceed four inches in width
75) It is an alternating-possession throw-in when A1's throw-in lodges between the backboard and the ring
76) Unused time-out(s) from the regulation game may be used in any overtime period.
77) Except for the first marked lane spaces that must be occupied by the defense during a free throw, players are permitted to occupy any vacant marked lane space within the numerical limits.
78) It is an alternating-possession throw-in when the ball becomes dead and neither team is in control and no goal, infraction or end of a period is involved
79) A team member is bench personnel in uniform and eligible to become a player
80) By mutual agreement between opposing coaches, the three 60-second time-outs may be converted to six 30-second time-outs
81) If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard may obtain legal position in the opponent's landing spot after the opponent is airborne.
82) The official shall instruct the timer to begin the 20-second interval for replacing an injured player as soon as the game has been stopped for the injury.
83) The alternating-possession procedure is always used after a double personal foul.
84) On-court entertainment should not occur during a 30-second time-out.
85) It is an alternating-possession throw-in following simultaneous basket interference violations by opponents.
86) To obtain an initial legal guarding position in the path of a moving opponent with the ball, time or distance is not a factor.
87) The head coach or any assistant coach may orally or visually request and be granted a time-out.
88) A violation shall be called on a player who, having been in the restricted area for less than three seconds, dribbles in or moves immediately to try for a goal.
89) Basket interference may occur during a free-throw attempt.
90) Kicking the ball is intentionally striking it with any part of the leg or foot
91) It is permissible to withdraw a player before the clock starts following his or her substitution into the game.
92) Marked lane spaces may be occupied during a free throw by a maximum of four defensive and three offensive players.
93) The three-second restrictions do not apply to a player who has one foot touching in the lane and one foot touching outside the lane
94) After initial legal guarding position is obtained, the guard may move laterally, obliquely or toward the opponent to maintain position
95) If a timing error occurs, the exact time observed by an official may be placed on the clock.
96) The division line is entirely in a team's frontcourt.
97) The referee has the authority to overrule a foul call decision made by an umpire
98) B1 has established a legal guarding position and may maintain that position even while airborne, provided he/she has inbounds status.
99) A player need only have the front of the team jersey tucked in to be eligible to participate
100) An official shall signal the throw-in spot following a goal or awarded goal.

s2n Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:31am

52) The officials' jurisdiction actually begins in the dressing room

52) The officials' jurisdiction actually begins in the dressing room???? The book said that when they arrive on the floor. So i would think that the answer would be false. Can someone help me out here, or is the dressing apart of the floor.

Ch1town Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2n (Post 626619)
52) The officials' jurisdiction actually begins in the dressing room???? The book said that when they arrive on the floor. So i would think that the answer would be false. Can someone help me out here, or is the dressing apart of the floor.

Trust your first instinct.

s2n Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:45am

uniform rule

question 65-the rule states that a player who has been replaced,or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his or her replacement. So i think that the answer is false, a coach cant take a time-out to keep his player in the game. T or F?

Ch1town Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2n (Post 626623)
question 65-the rule states that a player who has been replaced,or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to substitute after the clock has been started properly following his or her replacement. So i think that the answer is false, a coach cant take a time-out to keep his player in the game. T or F?

Read rule 3 for a better understanding.

s2n Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:48am

question 65 uniform rule.....

if a player is directed to leave the game for a violation of the UNIFORM RULE- the coach may call a time-out to keep the player in the game? I think that the answer would be False- because art4- a player who has been replaced,or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to sub after the clock has been started properly following his her replacement.

Nevadaref Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2n (Post 626630)
if a player is directed to leave the game for a violation of the UNIFORM RULE- the coach may call a time-out to keep the player in the game? I think that the answer would be False- because art4- a player who has been replaced,or directed to leave the game shall not re-enter before the next opportunity to sub after the clock has been started properly following his her replacement.

Correct. The team may only take a time-out to keep a player in the game who was injured or is bleeding, has an open wound, had blood on his/her person or uniform.

Uniform violations do not fall under either of those provisions, so the team cannot do it. The rule references are 3-3-6 and 3-3-7.

PS Skeeter, please remove your posts containing the test questions. Some states/areas use the test for assignments or promotion and this makes it too easy to cheat or at least have an unfair advantage. If Skeeter doesn't do it, I would ask that a moderator step in and do so.

s2n Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:06am

uniforms

If a player wears the uniform pants below the hips, he or she shall be directed to leave the game? I would think that the answer would be true.... but the rule book said that there is no rules for pants. Not sure on this one:confused:

rsl Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:18am

look at 3-3

mbyron Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2n (Post 627011)
If a player wears the uniform pants below the hips, he or she shall be directed to leave the game? I would think that the answer would be true.... but the rule book said that there is no rules for pants. Not sure on this one:confused:

Of course there's rules about pants. I'm guessing you're a "playah" who wants to be saggin. Sorry dude.

3-3-4: A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly and above the hips
and/or a player not tucking in a team jersey designed to be worn inside the
pants/skirt, shall be directed to leave the game.

s2n Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 627017)
Of course there's rules about pants. I'm guessing you're a "playah" who wants to be saggin. Sorry dude.

3-3-4: A player not wearing the pants/skirt properly and above the hips
and/or a player not tucking in a team jersey designed to be worn inside the
pants/skirt, shall be directed to leave the game.

this question was on last year test and i answered it as T but got it wrong???:confused: same question this year.

Ch1town Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2n (Post 627024)
this question was on last year test and i answered it as T but got it wrong???:confused: same question this year.

That's unfortunate...

mbyron Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2n (Post 627024)

What was the exact question? Sometimes the test makers add things that make the answer false. The answer to #53 above is true.

s2n Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:36am

Successive time-out?

successive time-outs shall not be granted at any time? false? because successive time-outs may be granted in all situations except after time has expired in the 4th quater or any extra period. Is this rule correct?

mbyron Thu Sep 24, 2009 01:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2n (Post 627050)
If a player wears the uniform pants below the hips, he or she shall be directed to leave the game? right from the test.

Are you saying that the exact same question appeared, in exactly the same wording, on the test for two years in a row, and had different answers? If so, one year was a mistake. If not, then check the exact wording difference to determine why the answers were different.

bas2456 Mon Sep 28, 2009 09:12pm

What do you all think about 55?

"A violation occurs when B1, in a marked space, loses his balance and touches inside the lane with both hands prior to A1's release of a free throw attempt."

True or False?

Nevadaref Mon Sep 28, 2009 09:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 627754)

"A violation occurs when B1, in a marked space, loses his balance and touches inside the lane with both hands prior to A1's release of a free throw attempt."

True or False?

We all think that you should read the new editorial changes. ;)

Camron Rust Tue Sep 29, 2009 03:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 627757)

Even the rules before the edit should lead to the same conclusion.

BillyMac Tue Sep 29, 2009 06:38am

That's Why There Was An Editorial Change ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 627779)
Even the rules before the edit should lead to the same conclusion.

Previously, there was some ambiguity here.

CoachP Tue Sep 29, 2009 07:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 627754)

True or False?

False....I hate trick questions...

M&M Guy Tue Sep 29, 2009 08:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoachP (Post 627797)
False....I hate trick questions...

:D

Although I see your point, it is still a violation, although it may be disregarded if the FT is good.

Raymond Tue Sep 29, 2009 08:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 627757)

I can't get to this year's rule changes. The link I had this summer isn't working anymore, can somene post the link(s) please?

thanx.

justacoach Tue Sep 29, 2009 08:58am

Download pdf only

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 627807)
I can't get to this year's rule changes. The link I had this summer isn't working anymore, can somene post the link(s) please?

thanx.

This link will download the PDF document.

http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=3180

IREFU2 Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 627807)

thanx.

I thought you knew everything????? LOL!!!!

Raymond Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IREFU2 (Post 627843)
I thought you knew everything????? LOL!!!!

I do....but that's because I'm not afraid to ask questions. :cool:

Just make sure our meeting gets over in time so I can see the Vikings and Packers Monday.

Gmoore Tue Sep 29, 2009 02:59pm

77) Except for the first marked lane spaces that must be occupied by the defense during a free throw, players are permitted to occupy any vacant marked lane space within the numerical limits.

The offensive team can not be in a spot that is designated for the denfensive player correct?

The answer key say this is a true question

ART. 4 . . . During a free throw, lane spaces may be occupied as follows:
a. Marked lane spaces may be occupied by a maximum of four defensive and
two offensive players.
b. The lane areas from the end line up to, and including, the neutral-zone
marks, shall remain vacant.
c. The first marked lane spaces on each side of the lane, above and adjacent
to the neutral-zone marks, shall be occupied by opponents of the free
thrower. No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these
marked lane spaces.
d. The second marked lane spaces on each side may be occupied by
teammates of the free thrower.
e. The third marked lane spaces on each side, nearest the free thrower, may
be occupied by the opponents of the free thrower.
f. Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a
vacant marked lane space within the limitations listed in this rule.
g. Not more than one player may occupy any part of a marked lane space.

Help.........

Adam Tue Sep 29, 2009 03:06pm

Only the first lane spaces are restricted to defense only. The last two spaces are for the defense if they want them, and the middle two are for the offense if they want them. If the preferred occupants decline to occupy those four spaces, the other team may take them if they desire.

Note the difference in wording between article 4c and the next two, 4d and 4e. 4c uses "shall" and the other two use "may."

Not only may the offense not use the the first spaces if the defense declines, the defense may not decline to use them.

bob jenkins Tue Sep 29, 2009 03:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmoore (Post 627882)
77) The offensive team can not be in a spot that is designated for the denfensive player correct?.

Incorrect for FED rules.
Correct for NCAAW rules.

bas2456 Tue Sep 29, 2009 08:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 627883)
Only the first lane spaces are restricted to defense only. The last two spaces are for the defense if they want them, and the middle two are for the offense if they want them. If the preferred occupants decline to occupy those four spaces, the other team may take them if they desire.

Note the difference in wording between article 4c and the next two, 4d and 4e. 4c uses "shall" and the other two use "may."

Not only may the offense not use the the first spaces if the defense declines, the defense may not decline to use them.

You're right it says "may", but it doesn't say that the other team may take the spots if the original team doesn't want them.

Does that mean that it's legal?

Gmoore Tue Sep 29, 2009 08:33pm

That is the way it was explained to me from the Illinois high School Assoc. that if the team that "may" be there is not then the rules does not provide that the "other " team can be there

bas2456 Tue Sep 29, 2009 08:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmoore (Post 627931)
That is the way it was explained to me from the Illinois high School Assoc. that if the team that "may" be there is not then the rules does not provide that the "other " team can be there

That makes sense...thanks

Mregor Tue Sep 29, 2009 09:21pm

Quote:

77)f. Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a vacant marked lane space within the limitations listed in this rule.

Your answer is in f. (see above) If it's vacant and not the first space closest to the endline, the opponent can have it as long as they stay within the limits of 4 defensive players and 2 offensive.

Mregor

Mregor Tue Sep 29, 2009 09:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 627938)
That makes sense...thanks

It may make sense to you, but it is wrong.

Mregor

bas2456 Tue Sep 29, 2009 09:48pm

Do you have a citation?

tjones1 Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 627958)
do you have a citation?

8-1-4

...,four defensive players are permitted in any of the first three vacant marked lane spaces.

bas2456 Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:37pm

Thanks

Nevadaref Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:53am

Quote:

The offensive team can not be in a spot that is designated for the denfensive player correct?

The answer key say this is a true question

ART. 4 . . . During a free throw, lane spaces may be occupied as follows:
a. Marked lane spaces may be occupied by a maximum of four defensive and
two offensive players.
b. The lane areas from the end line up to, and including, the neutral-zone
marks, shall remain vacant.
c. The first marked lane spaces on each side of the lane, above and adjacent
to the neutral-zone marks, shall be occupied by opponents of the free
thrower. No teammate of the free thrower shall occupy either of these
marked lane spaces.
d. The second marked lane spaces on each side may be occupied by
teammates of the free thrower.
e. The third marked lane spaces on each side, nearest the free thrower, may
be occupied by the opponents of the free thrower.
f. Players shall be permitted to move along and across the lane to occupy a
vacant marked lane space within the limitations listed in this rule.

g. Not more than one player may occupy any part of a marked lane space.

Help.........

It says right there in part f that the players SHALL BE PERMITTED TO MOVE.

Unlike the NCAAW game, if the team entitled to the spot doesn't want it, the opponent may take it at the NFHS level, except for the first two defensive spots nearest to the basket.

Adam Thu Oct 01, 2009 09:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmoore (Post 627931)

There are plenty of others here from Illinois, perhaps one of them will confirm whether the state is off its rocker.

People seem to forget that if it's not forbidden in the rules, it's allowed.

mbyron Fri Oct 02, 2009 06:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 628378)

Within reason. Digging a trench down the middle of the court and filling it with mead is not forbidden in the rules, but I don't think I'd allow it.

bob jenkins Fri Oct 02, 2009 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 628378)
There are plenty of others here from Illinois, perhaps one of them will confirm whether the state is off its rocker.

GMoore's explanation does NOT match anything I have seen from the IHSA or interpreters. All I have seen matches the rest of what was posted here -- each team gets a "first option" to occupy certain spaces, but if they choose not to exercise that option, the other team can take it (within the overall number restrictions)

chicagomike Thu Oct 08, 2009 08:18pm

trick questions?

Having problems dealing with three of the questions on the test above because the wording just doesn't seem to jive (at least in my warped mind).

11. There are three marked lane spaces on each lane boundary line, each measuring 36 inches by 36 inches.

Well, the actual markings aren't 36x36. But both the rule book and casebook make references to this 36x36 area. So is this true or false?

14. During free-throw attempts resulting from a technical foul, substitutions may be made only after the final attempt has been converted.

Can't find the answer to this anywhere. Logic told me it was true. But I'm bothered by the word "converted." So if the second FT isn't good, there can't be substitutions even after it clanks off the rim and before play resume? Really?

69. The basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled cover with any number of horizontally shaped panels.

Any number? Really? It could have 1,000 panels? Just about all of this is lifted right out of the rule book except for "any number," which makes me want to say false.

I'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say about these. Some of the previous discussions were very helpful. Thanks. Mike

Back In The Saddle Thu Oct 08, 2009 09:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagomike (Post 629720)
Having problems dealing with three of the questions on the test above because the wording just doesn't seem to jive (at least in my warped mind).

11. There are three marked lane spaces on each lane boundary line, each measuring 36 inches by 36 inches.

Well, the actual markings aren't 36x36. But both the rule book and casebook make references to this 36x36 area. So is this true or false?

14. During free-throw attempts resulting from a technical foul, substitutions may be made only after the final attempt has been converted.

Can't find the answer to this anywhere. Logic told me it was true. But I'm bothered by the word "converted." So if the second FT isn't good, there can't be substitutions even after it clanks off the rim and before play resume? Really?

69. The basketball shall be spherical and have a deeply pebbled cover with any number of horizontally shaped panels.

Any number? Really? It could have 1,000 panels? Just about all of this is lifted right out of the rule book except for "any number," which makes me want to say false.

I'd be interested in hearing what folks have to say about these. Some of the previous discussions were very helpful. Thanks. Mike

11. Where is the marking for the back side of a lane space? Where are the markings for spaces around the jump circle? Where are the markings for the bench area? Are all spaces entirely marked?

14. Who can shoot a technical foul free throw? If the answer includes substitutes, how do you get them into the game to shoot those free throws?

69. It may help you to know that the rule regarding the ball used to specify exactly 8 segments. A few years ago, that requirement (restriction?) was removed.

chicagomike Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:00pm

sounding stupid ...

Uh, then we're saying True-False-False, right? Didn't think the replies would be as confusing as the questions and rule book! (And it's not like I'm asking about 90 of the 100 questions or anything.)

Back In The Saddle Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagomike (Post 629757)
Uh, then we're saying True-False-False, right? Didn't think the replies would be as confusing as the questions and rule book! (And it's not like I'm asking about 90 of the 100 questions or anything.)

Fishing lessons. ;)

BktBallRef Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagomike (Post 629720)

It doesn't say the markings are 36x36. It says the space is measured 36x36.

Quote:

3-3-1c

Quote:

Did you see anything that stated there was a limit on the number of panels?

Quote:

Didn't think the replies would be as confusing as the questions and rule book! (And it's not like I'm asking about 90 of the 100 questions or anything.)
It doesn't matter how few questions you're asking about. The point is we're trying to get you to think rather than just give you the answer. You don't learn anything from reading true, false, true. You need to know WHY they're true, false, true.<!-- / message -->

chicagomike Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:35pm

Fair enough, friends. I guess I was fishing a little ... and thanks for at least nibbling some.

As a fairly new ref (three years) but not a rookie, I do wish they would word questions in ways that tests knowledge as opposed to trying to play gotcha. But I guess that's just me.

I mean, take that last question on my list. No, I couldn't find anything regarding the number of panels on the basketball. But doesn't common sense dictate that there can't be "any number" of panels? I guess there's no room in basketball for love, war and common sense!

Anyway, I do appreciate the help.

Have a great season, everyone.

Mike

zm1283 Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagomike (Post 629796)
Fair enough, friends. I guess I was fishing a little ... and thanks for at least nibbling some.

As a fairly new ref (three years) but not a rookie, I do wish they would word questions in ways that tests knowledge as opposed to trying to play gotcha. But I guess that's just me.

I mean, take that last question on my list. No, I couldn't find anything regarding the number of panels on the basketball. But doesn't common sense dictate that there can't be "any number" of panels? I guess there's no room in basketball for love, war and common sense!

Anyway, I do appreciate the help.

Have a great season, everyone.

Mike

It's there. I was helping a friend with the Part 1 a few weeks ago and looked it up.

Back In The Saddle Fri Oct 09, 2009 01:59am

Quote:

Sure, there's a physical limit to how many panels you can put on a basketball. But the rules don't impose a limit. And it's the rules you're being tested on.

grunewar Fri Oct 09, 2009 06:02am

Quote:

I do wish they would word questions in ways that tests knowledge as opposed to trying to play gotcha. But I guess that's just me.

No, it's not "just you."

I understand the "wanting to make you think" mentality myself, but do find some of the questions very frustrating.

However, over the years I have learned not to read too much into them, research the ones I am unsure of, give it my best shot, and move on.....and, if I miss a question because of a word such as could, would, shall, might, may, I try to learn from it. I usually feel pretty good when I'm done and I've gotten pretty good scores overall.

Continued good luck.

Back In The Saddle Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 629832)
No, it's not "just you."

I understand the "wanting to make you think" mentality myself, but do find some of the questions very frustrating.

However, over the years I have learned not to read too much into them, research the ones I am unsure of, give it my best shot, and move on.....and, if I miss a question because of a word such as could, would, shall, might, may, I try to learn from it. I usually feel pretty good when I'm done and I've gotten pretty good scores overall.

Continued good luck.

It's not "just you" either. I get a little hung up on a question or three every year too. Since I can't "ask the teacher" to explain the question better, I do the best I can with it. I look it up, try to examine it from every reasonable angle, then go with my best guess at what I think they want.

Of course, in doing that I've usually expanded my own understanding of the rule in question. So regardless of whether I correctly guess what it is the test is getting at, I come away better prepared for the tests that matter. They start with a jump ball.

Despite BillyMac's protestations. ;)

(Just yankin' yer chain, Billy)

Until the advent of online testing in my state, I used to sit down with the test and the books and look up the answer to every question. I'd list the citation on the test, along with the answer. For me it was a great way to dive back into the book at the start of the season.

Ah, the stench of progress.

chicagomike Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:21pm

Just finished the test only. Got a 93. So, really, I wasn't asking for the moon, just some clarifications on the goofy wording and some food for thought. But as I said re the charge of Fishing in the Third Degree ... guilty as charged. Again, thanks for the help. Mike

Back In The Saddle Fri Oct 09, 2009 03:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicagomike (Post 629947)
Just finished the test only. Got a 93. So, really, I wasn't asking for the moon, just some clarifications on the goofy wording and some food for thought. But as I said re the charge of Fishing in the Third Degree ... guilty as charged. Again, thanks for the help. Mike

Congrats on a very good score!

If you're referring to my "Fishing lessons" comment previously...I was not accusing you of fishing for answers. I was making a (apparently much too) vague reference to the saying: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for life.

(Not to be confused with a very similar, and probably more profound saying: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll spend every waking moment in a little boat with his line in the water, drinking beer, and telling lies.)

Just FYI, it seems you're new here. If so you likely don't know that test questions are a prickly topic. In past years several folks have come swooping in during test time, posting what amounted to, "What are the answers to questions 12, 24, 48, and 96?" and reacting angrily when the answers were not promptly posted simply for the asking. It has gotten ugly at times. So we've basically adopted the policy that we're happy to help folks find answers, to nudge them in the right direction, even answer questions about the questions, but not to just give out answers.

Good luck with your season, and bring the questions that come up in games back here to discuss. You'll get much more direct answers in that situation. :)

Adam Fri Oct 09, 2009 03:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 629991)
(Not to be confused with a very similar, and probably more profound saying: Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll spend every waking moment in a little boat with his line in the water, drinking beer, and telling lies.)

Or my personal favorite:
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

M&M Guy Fri Oct 09, 2009 03:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 630001)
Or my personal favorite:
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

That just warms my heart.

grunewar Fri Oct 09, 2009 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 629991)
Good luck with your season, and bring the questions that come up in games back here to discuss. You'll get much more direct answers in that situation. :)

Unless the answers are from Padgett, then they'll just be sarcastic as heck! :D

You have been warned!