The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   How would you like to be..... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54610-how-would-you-like.html)

Mark Padgett Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:19am

How would you like to be.....

.....the HS coach that cut Michael Jordan from the team?

YouTube - Michael Jordan Basketball Hall Of Fame Speech (1/3)

eyezen Sat Sep 12, 2009 01:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 624971)
.....the HS coach that cut Michael Jordan from the team?

YouTube - Michael Jordan Basketball Hall Of Fame Speech (1/3)

Rare, but stuff like that happens. Mark Burhle, of CWS fame, a 4 time all-star who has thrown a perfect game and a no hitter, attended a local HS here in eastern MO and was cut his soph year. He was an average HS pitcher in his varsity years, but hooked onto a juco where it all came together and the rest is history.

Sometimes kids just don't develop athletically till later and show their true potential.

Juulie Downs Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:13am

Yea, the guy goofed. Still, it was unbelievably class-less for Jordan to call him out the way he did. What a jerk!

Adam Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:24am

I'd rather be one of the guys who beat him out for the team. And I agree with Juulie.

fiasco Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:27am

Jordan should be thanking that coach. I imagine that's where MJ's fiercely competitive streak started. Who knows, if he hadn't been cut, maybe he would have turned into a complacent player never willing to push himself.

Camron Rust Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:39am

After reading many of the critical comments on his speech (mostly elsewhere), I decided to watch it for myself...wondering if he really was a classless jerk that some were making him out to be.

I couldn't disagree more.

His consistent point revolved around decisions made by others that drove him to work harder. He wasn't trying to call them out, but was pointing out that their decisions are what made him what his became....giving him the drive to be more.

Would Jordan have achieved what he did had that HS coach not cut him? Can't really say but it is certainly comprehensible to consider that he wouldn't have. Maybe he wouldn't have been driven to overcome that coach's decision.

That was what I got out of his speech.

What you saw what a speech written without the benefit of experienced speech writers....writers who would make sure that the points wouldn't have been so easily miscontrued.

Ch1town Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 625217)
After reading many of the critical comments on his speech (mostly elsewhere), I decided to watch it for myself...wondering if he really was a classless jerk that some were making him out to be.

I couldn't disagree more.

Same here, but I must admit that I'm biased, but so are Portland supporters :D

Adam Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 625219)

Only if it's in the Oregonian.

rockyroad Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 625217)
His consistent point revolved around decisions made by others that drove him to work harder. He wasn't trying to call them out, but was pointing out that their decisions are what made him what his became....giving him the drive to be more.

I agree that was the point he was trying to make...but I also agree that he made those points in a classless way and was "rubbing it in" on those people from his past.

Camron Rust Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 625219)

You make the assumption that I'm a Portland supporter (or are you talking about Juulie)???

As form me, I've been to a grand total of ONE blazer game in the 17 years I've lived in the Portland area. I've watched a few dozen games (at most) on TV in that time. So, me, I don't think anyone would call me a Portland support.

Now, if you're talking about Juulie, well, you'll have to ask her on that one. I don't presume to know her leanings.

Ch1town Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 625226)
You make the assumption that I'm a Portland supporter (or are you talking about Juulie)???

No, I agree with your take CR.

Juulie made the first "classless" comment on this thread, so that was a slight jab at her, but not really... ie; :D

Adam Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 625230)
No, I agree with your take CR.

Juulie made the first "classless" comment on this thread, so that was a slight jab at her, but not really... ie; :D

I was a Bulls fan growing up, and have long been a Jordan fan. I'd forgotten Portland had a team.

M&M Guy Mon Sep 14, 2009 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 625235)
I was a Bulls fan growing up, and have long been a Jordan fan. I'd forgotten Portland had a team.

So, was that a call that needed to be made?

<font size=1>(Don't worry, I'm here for you, partner.)</font size>

:D

Adam Mon Sep 14, 2009 01:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by M&M Guy (Post 625244)
So, was that a call that needed to be made?

<font size=1>(Don't worry, I'm here for you, partner.)</font size>

:D

Definitely gamus interruptus.

M&M Guy Mon Sep 14, 2009 01:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 625247)
Definitely gamus interruptus.

I know - I'm disappointed.

(...that I didn't get to say it first.)