The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to B-Real1
I have always assumed that catching your own "airball" shot was a travelling violation. At least it was always called on the playground that way. Last week, in a rec league game, that situation happened, and one ref(the rookie of the crew) called travelling. But then one of the other refs said that as long as the player was attempting a shot, he was able to catch it, without it touching the rim, backboard or other player. I asked the ref after the game if that was a new rule and he said it wasn't. Did he make the correct call? NBA rules claim it is travelling. Do the high school rules differ in this case? Also, is there anywhere on the net to actually read the OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL RULEBOOK? I've searched high and low to no avail. This situation occurred again last night on the playground and I almost got laughed off the court when I tried to claim it wasn't travelling.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 03:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by B-Real1
I have always assumed that catching your own "airball" shot was a travelling violation. At least it was always called on the playground that way. Last week, in a rec league game, that situation happened, and one ref(the rookie of the crew) called travelling. But then one of the other refs said that as long as the player was attempting a shot, he was able to catch it, without it touching the rim, backboard or other player. I asked the ref after the game if that was a new rule and he said it wasn't. Did he make the correct call? NBA rules claim it is travelling. Do the high school rules differ in this case? Also, is there anywhere on the net to actually read the OFFICIAL HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL RULEBOOK? I've searched high and low to no avail. This situation occurred again last night on the playground and I almost got laughed off the court when I tried to claim it wasn't travelling.
Traveling - or Not
4.43 B (HS Rule case book) -
  • "A1 attempts a try after ending a dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim, or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? RULING : No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could dribble, pass, or try again. There is no team control after the ball has been released on a try."
    Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 03:39pm
    Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb That is why it is the NBA

B-Real1

This is why different levels have different rulebooks. NBA rules do not apply really to any other rules but the NBA. Of course there are similarities, but there are many differences. I know of know Pro level that does the same things as the Amature Level, and differently not HS levels.

BTW, most HS goes under the National Federation Rulebooks. Of course unless you live in Iowa. You might have totally different rulebooks for Softball at least.

Peace
    Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 03:47pm
    Official Forum Member

OK, so we've established that the correct call was made and that it wasn't travelling. At least I think thats what Mick's post says. Sorry guys, I'm new at all this A1 and B6 stuff. So this rule has been around for a while and just no one outside of high school refs know it?? And is there anywhere I can read the National Federation Rulebook, or is it not posted anywhere because they want people to buy it?
    Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 04:32pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    OK, so we've established that the correct call was made and that it wasn't travelling. At least I think thats what Mick's post says. Sorry guys, I'm new at all this A1 and B6 stuff. So this rule has been around for a while and just no one outside of high school refs know it?? And is there anywhere I can read the National Federation Rulebook, or is it not posted anywhere because they want people to buy it?
    B-Real1,
    YU.P., not traveling in college either. And, nah, not on-line. The books I get are from the Michigan association where I'm registered, but would you be interested in buying them from NFHS?

http://www.nfhs.org/publications.htm

Incidentally, generally speaking, Player A1, as distinguished from A2, is on Team A with the ball.
    Player B is usually on defense with the rest of the same colored jerseys... unless you are on blacktop (mileage may vary)

mick

Old Wed Jul 17, 2002, 07:01pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    And is there anywhere I can read the National Federation Rulebook, or is it not posted anywhere because they want people to buy it?
    Correct-o-mundo on that part.

If you want to see a "real" rulebook (not high school), head on over to the NCAA website - http://www.ncaa.org - they have the rulebooks for most of their sports available there in *.PDF format for free. (As pointed out earlier, the "travel/airball" rule is same in both books.)
    Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:08am
    Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, I guess the right call was made. Now I just have to convince everyone I play with that catching your own airball is legal. That shouldn't be too hard.
    Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:47am
    In Memoriam

Wink

Quote:
    Thanks guys, I guess the right call was made. Now I just have to convince everyone I play with that catching your own airball is legal. That shouldn't be too hard.
    B-Real1,
    As long as the folks you tell are not coaches or parents, you should be good.
    mick
    Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 10:53am
    Official Forum Member

I don't know Mick, the fellas at the playground can be just as stubborn as coaches and parents. And I'll be damned if I'm going to whip out a rule book, and try to prove it to them. I'm likely to get shot. I'll just let them play on in their ignorance. Besides, I don't shoot any airballs. :-P
    Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 08:02pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick

B-Real1,
    As long as the folks you tell are not coaches or parents, you should be good.
    mick
    Or players, or announcers, or general fans, etc.

BTW, B-Real1, don't forget to send your check for 5.00 USD to BktBallRef.
    Old Thu Jul 18, 2002, 08:03pm
    Official Forum Member

Quote:
    Besides, I don't shoot any airballs. :-P
    Yeah. And Worldcom turned a profit of $300,000,000 last quarter.